Filter screwed too tight...

Status
Not open for further replies.

blurboiboi

Jan 8, 2003
Loyang
blurboiboi.instantlogic.com
Hi ppl,
Is there anyway I can remove a filter that is being screwed too tight onto a lens?...
I tried using brute force but it failed and had fine cuts on my palm :cry: .... Is there any more intelligent mtd??.. thanks!... I need to clear the inside from dust...

blurboiboi said:
Hi ppl,
Is there anyway I can remove a filter that is being screwed too tight onto a lens?...
I tried using brute force but it failed and had fine cuts on my palm :cry: .... Is there any more intelligent mtd??.. thanks!... I need to clear the inside from dust...

there's no fixed way to do it...objective is to get enuff grip onto the filter/lens to transfer enuff force to dislodge it...try using those rubber grip mats used usually onto cars to try unscrewing it...most of the time it'll give way one...

Once you can remove the filter, you may want to consider using B+W MRC filter. IMHO, its metal construction looks better, rigid and safer.

Regards,
Arto.

There used to be a gadget called a filter wrench. You may want to check it out. Alternatively, you can order it from Adorama Photo.

Artosoft said:
....you may want to consider using B+W MRC filter. IMHO, its metal construction looks better, rigid and safer.

Regards,
Arto.

The metal ring frame of B+W filters are made of brass. If you have learned in physics, brass expand and contract less than alloy.

photobum said:
The metal ring frame of B+W filters are made from brass. If you have learned in physics, brass expand and contract less than alloy.
So it is definitely better ;) .

Regards,
Arto.

Artosoft said:
So it is definitely better ;) .

Regards,
Arto.

Of course. Otherwise how does B+W justifies their high prices.

ortega said:
try heating the filter ring slightly to make it expand first
it should be easier to remove

Why expand? Shouldn't you want to contract it instead?

photobum said:
Why expand? Shouldn't you want to contract it instead?
Put ice on filter, heat up the lens by covering it with your palm... :dunno: .

Regards,
Arto.

this is a last resort and I don't recommend it unless it is really desperate.
  1. Get a metal saw and cut about 2mm deep on the diameter of the filter; like cutting a mooncake into 2 halves.
  2. Place a metal ruler or anything that can fit in the 2mm grove that was just created. Then turn it. It will definitely open if the metal ruler is strong enough

How about putting a wee bit of wd40 on the ring thread, but don't put too much so that it's easy to clean off after the filter has been taken out.

Use a rubber band and put it around the filter ring to give u some grip. Always works for me.

alternatively , u can try gooing down to Peninsula , visit this shop call PRIME lens , just beside CP , they will open the filter for u, any cost i'm not sure ... the last time i went because i lost grip my bag with my precious baby inside, everthing just rolled down the stairs and the filter on my cam crack ... damn the filter B + W... luckily the salesman help me to open it up.... my kit lens saved ...

i placed my whole lens into the freezer for about an hour to get the stuck B+W filter off. :( condensation was so bad that i placed the lens in dry box for a full week before letting it have some fresh air!

To prevent another incident from happening again, i put very light silicon grease coating on the inner and outer threads of the lens and filter. No more worries........ well, not yet!

This is a filter wrench. It never fails me and it opens up to filter size of 120mm!

Filter-wrench.jpg

Let me know if any of you are interested. I may probably pack a few of them in my baggage on my next trip to the US (most likely end of the year). It costs approximately USD$8~10 and is made in Canada.

photobum said:
This is a filter wrench. It never fails me and it opens up to filter size of 120mm!

Filter-wrench.jpg

Let me know if any of you are interested. I may probably pack a few of them in my baggage on my next trip to the US (most likely end of the year). It costs approximately USD$8~10 and is made in Canada.

thanks guys for all the solutions... the filter wrench is really cool... if you are doing a MO do let me know... definitely interested!

blurboiboi said:
thanks guys for all the solutions... the filter wrench is really cool... if you are doing a MO do let me know... definitely interested!
Hahaha...

I prefer to buy better filter than filter wrench... But it is only my thought.

Regards,
Arto.

Status
Not open for further replies.