Filter Recommendation

eys123

Nov 16, 2012
Bedok
hi im interested in landscape photography any recommendation for filters, i have a 18-35mm AF-D

What are you trying to achieve? We use different filters for different purpose.

hi im interested in landscape photography any recommendation for filters, i have a 18-35mm AF-D
What makes you think that landscape photography needs filters? Sounds to me as if you just trying to enter a genre by getting equipment. Sorry to burst that bubble.. The subject defines the genre, not the filter.

get singhray

Hi eys123

All the information can oftentimes be rather overwhelming for a start.

I bring along 3 types of filter for all my travels :
1) Neutral Density filter
2) Graduated Neutral Density filter
3) Polariser
The first 2 IMHO the more important of the 3. This is of course dependent on the style you would employ.

You can read up more here : Choosing a Camera Lens Filter
I have no affiliation to this site, but I find them to be a rather easy read.

After you have a good idea what the filters do, then next you can think about whether u need them / price / brands etc

Ryan

Great read. Thanks for sharing.

Why do you need a filter when the use of filters will degrade image quality?

Filters are not just used only for protecting the front element you know. And besides for many people, a marginal loss in IQ of using a filter is worth the trade off to minimize the chances of an expensive lens being scratched accidentally.

I'm fully with you for those 'protection filters', that's wasting money imho. A lens hood does a better job in terms of protection, since most impacts are coming from the side in an angle to the lens rim and not straight from front.
But ND, GND and CPL are necessary to achieve effects that cannot be replicated with any software.

Perhaps the skill to use filters has faded, especially for films. :)

most filter manufactures claim their are make of high quality glass, for an example, they say more than 97% of light will pass thru their filters* HOYA | The Difference is Clear

so if you can spot the different of 2% of light lost, it is better for you don't use any filters. :)

I guess the ND, GND and CPL filters are those used in this category. I would prioritize GND and CPL, these modify only certain aspects (a bias) of the image.
Whereas the ND just darkens the entire image (unbiased) typically so that you can get a much longer exposure to blur the moving parts of the scene or shoot a nice bokeh in very strong light without reaching
the diffraction limit of your lens.

Last edited:
With the advent of Photoshop, people will rather edit than get the shot straight out of camera

...then when they see the pictures that were taken "properly" with the filter, ask what post processing he did to get that effect

...then when they see the pictures that were taken "properly" with the filter, ask what post processing he did to get that effect

"i used an ND Filter"

"Cool! Where can i find that on CS6?"

With the advent of Photoshop, people will rather edit than get the shot straight out of camera

I do know film users who don't even print and scan, let alone edit.
It's up to the individual I guess but I do remember filter like CPL can't be duplicated.