Filter Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetPumpkin

Nov 27, 2005
Hi, recently i bought a Hoya Uv filter. On it it states UV-Guard and nothing else.Is this considered the normal type?I understand that there are Hmc and higher end ones but the model isn't stated on mine.Anyone can shed some light?Thanks

StreetPumpkin said:
I understand that there are Hmc and higher end ones but the model isn't stated on mine.

(Someone correct me if I am wrong). HMC and higher ones willl be stated on the ring of the filter. (For example, HOYA HMC 77mm). If there is nothing stated about HMC, it should be the standard one.

pRoLoS3r said:
(Someone correct me if I am wrong). HMC and higher ones willl be stated on the ring of the filter. (For example, HOYA HMC 77mm). If there is nothing stated about HMC, it should be the standard one.
I guess so, man ... This is what I observed too :)

Thanks guys.Paid $25 for it at ap for a 67mm seems to be overpriced.

StreetPumpkin said:
Thanks guys.Paid $25 for it at ap for a 67mm seems to be overpriced.

confirm I only pay 18 when I last brought it.
Today just brought a new hoya super HMC ;)

I told them that it shouldnt cost so much i see people post the price here.When i ask how come others can get it cheaper i got an explanation that others could have bought camera from them at a higher price so they sold the filters to them at a lower price.Sensible?;( End up i still paid $25

StreetPumpkin said:
I told them that it shouldnt cost so much i see people post the price here.When i ask how come others can get it cheaper i got an explanation that others could have bought camera from them at a higher price so they sold the filters to them at a lower price.Sensible?;( End up i still paid $25

I also always kanna such things. Cant help it. Lolz.

Since we are on the topic of filter about HMC, I hope streetpumpkin dont mind i ask a question.

Do you all find a big jump between HMC, Super HMC and Standard UV filters?

I find major difference/jump between Hoya and Nikon :)

pRoLoS3r said:
I also always kanna such things. Cant help it. Lolz.

Since we are on the topic of filtera about HMC, I hope streetpumpkin dont mind i ask a question.

Do you all find a big jump between HMC, Super HMC and Standard UV filters?

No problem, i'm learning as well.Long way to go

StreetPumpkin said:

A little bit over...;)

StreetPumpkin said:

What utter nonsense. Should have held out and bought from someone else. Sounds like those sales scams at Sim Lim... sell u the processor and motherboard at low price but force you to buy a casing as part of the bundle at a ridiculously high price.

Next he'll say if you're a pretty young chick you'll get special discount...spikey hair BMT recruit charge you 10% premium.

Alan Photo issit? Will make a note not to deal with them.

solarii said:
What utter nonsense. Should have held out and bought from someone else. Sounds like those sales scams at Sim Lim... sell u the processor and motherboard at low price but force you to buy a casing as part of the bundle at a ridiculously high price.

Next he'll say if you're a pretty young chick you'll get special discount...spikey hair BMT recruit charge you 10% premium.

lolz~~~!!!... nice way of putting things...:bsmilie:
kinda agree with you though. especially the sim lim part.:bigeyes:
when you dunno stuff.... salesman always target that weakness.... ;)

hoya
even hmc
is not high end

hasselblad, leica, contax, B+W, Lee
filters
are high end

a hasselblad polarising filter can cost $300+ (that was 10 years ago, now I do not know.. maybe $500+)
same for B+W Kasselmann 67mm polarising filter

Lee filters are professional grade cost, a bomb.

the simlim salesman did not con you
he merely sold it more expensively to you
it was willing buyer willing seller
i can accept his explanation that if you buy a costly item from him, say a camera, then he can sell the filter cheaper.
you can choose not to buy from him

generally if you want serious photo stuff at proper prices
avoid simlim square

Agree with the fact that AlanPhoto overcharge.
Got a Hoya UV filter for $12 (after bargaining from $15), then found out a few days later that it only costs $8 at TK photo!

Btw, may i ask what's the acceptable price of a 67mm cir polarizer?

I got mine Hoya HMC 52mm for $16 is it overprice?
and 58mm hoya cir polarizer for $40

ricohflex said:
hoya
even hmc
is not high end

hasselblad, leica, contax, B+W, Lee
filters
are high end

a hasselblad polarising filter can cost $300+ (that was 10 years ago, now I do not know.. maybe $500+)
same for B+W Kasselmann 67mm polarising filter

Lee filters are professional grade cost, a bomb.

the simlim salesman did not con you
he merely sold it more expensively to you
it was willing buyer willing seller
i can accept his explanation that if you buy a costly item from him, say a camera, then he can sell the filter cheaper.
you can choose not to buy from him

generally if you want serious photo stuff at proper prices
avoid simlim square

StreetPumpkin didn't go to Sim Lim, he went to Alan Photo I believe. (He used the acronymn ap so I guess he's referring to them).

clarinet said:
I got mine Hoya HMC 52mm for $16 is it overprice?
and 58mm hoya cir polarizer for $40

Price is okay.. +/- $2.

StreetPumkin : since you knew the price offered to others, don't buy if they refuse to lower the prices. It's not little difference, quite a lot for a filter. You know the alternatives, CP, MS, etc.

solarii said:
StreetPumpkin didn't go to Sim Lim, he went to Alan Photo I believe. (He used the acronymn ap so I guess he's referring to them).

Alan Photo is a shop on the ground floor of Sim Lim Square. I have been there. Never buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.