Filter problem or lens problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

P3rSeUs

Oct 29, 2007
Hougang
www.flickr.com
Hi all,

I'm currently using a 50mm f1.8 II and a tokina UV filter to shoot these pictures.
Under low light condition with a presence of a strong light source, I can see reflections of the strong light sources through the viewfinder and when I take picture with it, spots (or reflections) will appear in the picture.

Here are some example shots taken from Esplanade. (pictures a bit blur cause taken without tripod)

2204774418_ce96f5f1b8.jpg

The "Mandarin Oriental" word appeared in the sky (reflected from the building), taken at f1.8

2204747368_48300f4d22_b.jpg

Taken with filter on. Can even see the lights from the boat in the sky

2204764334_7ecda1a973.jpg

Taken with UV Filter at f1.8, can see the reflections (inverted reflection) of the four spotlights and the 2 spotlights

2204770632_3e90d5c38d.jpg

Taken without the UV filter at f1.8, can see the blue spots right above the strong spot lights

Without the filter on, the spots will not be seen from the viewfinder but will show up in the pictures.

What would cause these problems?

Hi all,

I'm currently using a 50mm f1.8 II and a tokina UV filter to shoot these pictures.
Under low light condition with a presence of a strong light source, I can see reflections of the strong light sources through the viewfinder and when I take picture with it, spots (or reflections) will appear in the picture.

2204770632_3e90d5c38d.jpg

Taken without the UV filter at f1.8, can see the blue spots right above the strong spot lights

Without the filter on, the spots will not be seen from the viewfinder but will show up in the pictures.

What would cause these problems?

The last one is probably due to the lens since the filter is off now.

Anyway, ghosting is a reflection of strong concentratd light either off the inner surface of the filter or the lens elements and you can see them if you invert your picture like the one below :

Original :
2204747368_48300f4d22_b.jpg

ghostingxk9.jpg

The ghosting are due to the non multicoating on the tokina filter. And also the 50mm f1.8 will cause ghosting when shoot at wide open which is very common for fast lens. But why do u want to shoot landscape at f1.8?

Wow! These photos are classic examples of 'ghosting.' It will be good examples to show other newbies what is 'ghosting.' :)

Alternatively, use a hood. However, in this case, it won't work as well.

Samuel

okay,

thanks a lot for all the replies.
will now understand more regarding the issue.
cheers!

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.