filter price

Status
Not open for further replies.

fz30_user

May 5, 2006
Hi Guys,

Sorry if this has been asked before. How come there is a big difference on prices of UV filters. Some are only 20$-30$ but some are 90$-150$. What's the real advantage of buying the expensive ones? Will the 20$ filters affect picture quality?

Thanks.

Hi Guys,

Sorry if this has been asked before. How come there is a big difference on prices of UV filters. Some are only 20$-30$ but some are 90$-150$. What's the real advantage of buying the expensive ones? Will the 20$ filters affect picture quality?

Thanks.

Filters come in several sizes and the larger they are, the more expensive. Those cheaper $20-$30 types usually are made of plastic and do not have as gd coatings as their more expensive equivalents which are made of glass such as B+W. B+W ones are made in Germany as compared to more expensive Hoyas which as made in Japan.

I would say the great price difference does in a way affect pic quality.

I would say the great price difference does in a way affect pic quality.

Thanks Snoweagle. I've done some test with/without a cheapo 20$ kenko UV filter on a efs 10-22mm (77mm) and efs 18-55mm (58mm) with different aperture,settings,etc but I can't seem to pinpoint the difference. Are there some tests that I can perform to justify buying the more expensive brands?

Btw, I compare the images on 100% cropped.

Thanks Snoweagle. I've done some test with/without a cheapo 20$ kenko UV filter on a efs 10-22mm (77mm) and efs 18-55mm (58mm) with different aperture,settings,etc but I can't seem to pinpoint the difference. Are there some tests that I can perform to justify buying the more expensive brands?

Btw, I compare the images on 100% cropped.

Try getting a B+W MRC Haze UV filter and u'll see the difference. Even colour's better.

For filters, much of the work is in the coatings. These will allow light to get through, rather than reflect it away. If you have a cheap lens, a cheap filter will do. If you have an expensive piece of glass, putting on a cheap filter is likely to compromise the quality of the light getting through (with respect to the bare lens). Note that many pros and serious amateurs do not carry filters on their lenses, particularly the expensive ones. Filters can also have a detrimental effect when shooting with certain lenses (such as Nikon 17-35, where the front elements are shaped in a "bubble," which will cause ghosting with a filter).

Try getting a B+W MRC Haze UV filter and u'll see the difference. Even colour's better.

Hmm.. you mean to say with the B+W filter the IQ will be better than no filter at all?

Hmm.. you mean to say with the B+W filter the IQ will be better than no filter at all?

Not necessary. U get an L lens without filter and another non-L lens with the B+W, results are quite similar. But i use B+W on both my Ls. Results are great!

i use a filter to protect the front lens element.. i m not so hard core to get the B+W filters.. currently i am using tokina plastic ones.. so far so good.. i am quite happy with photos turn out.. =)

Thanks guys for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.