Filter Placement Order: GND or CPL filter nearer to the Lens element?

bkkoo78

Oct 13, 2010
Hi all,

Need advise on placement on the GND and CPL filters.

I have currently a Lee Holders + Lee GNDs, and B+W CPL.

I wish to use GND and CPL together, Instead of trying of buying more gear from Lee so I can fit a CPL in front of my Lee GND holders...

I need advise does it really matter what is the order of the filters? etc. The GND must be between the lens and the CPL? Does it really impact the IQ and the output of the pictures?

Can anyone have advice or try the different placement of the filters?

Thanks in advance..

If your CPL is threaded the GND filter will definitely be the one outside. Unless ur CPL is sproket mounted and can be held by the holder system.

But i would imagine having view the effects of CPL first then darken the skies if needed with a GND would be easier than viewing the effects of the CPL on a darkened skies
( I dunno of any ill effects on either one first though, my CPl is screwed on so I have to mount it first anyhow )

Ryan

If your CPL is threaded the GND filter will definitely be the one outside. Unless ur CPL is sproket mounted and can be held by the holder system.

But i would imagine having view the effects of CPL first then darken the skies if needed with a GND would be easier than viewing the effects of the CPL on a darkened skies
( I dunno of any ill effects on either one first though, my CPl is screwed on so I have to mount it first anyhow )

Ryan

Order doesn't matter for IQ.

Thanks both for the information...

Cause I have been reading on the placement of the filters that says other wise.

http://photo.net/large-format-photography-forum/00PWQ4

It's not often for people to use both GND and CPL together.

Thanks both for the information...
Cause I have been reading on the placement of the filters that says other wise.
http://photo.net/large-format-photography-forum/00PWQ4

One important detail to note:
Some stressed plastics exhibit the phenomena of birefringence, where the polarized components of light have different indexes of refraction.
In other words: GND made of glass will not cause any trouble and the order does not matter. Check carefully for GND filters made of plastics, they might interfere with your CPL.

Thanks for all your comments and info.