Filter for wide angle

-Kian-

Dec 11, 2011
Hi pplz! Heard that one would need ultra thin filter for uwa lens. Will be using canon 10-22 usm for my coming Beijing trip. Any advise on choosing the right filter? A cpl probably right? Given it should be snowing and hence very 'white'. Any kind advise? Thanks!

Hi pplz! Heard that one would need ultra thin filter for uwa lens. Will be using canon 10-22 usm for my coming Beijing trip. Any advise on choosing the right filter? A cpl probably right? Given it should be snowing and hence very 'white'. Any kind advise? Thanks!

UWA lens has very large picture angle, and thus there is a risk of vignetting when you attach a screw-on filter to the front of the lens. A lot of it depends on the construction of the lens too. Different brands/models of UWA lenses can be more or less susceptible to this vignetting.

Maybe you can try searching Google with 'Canon 10-22 filter vignetting' and see what results you come up with.
I would choose to avoid a CPL with a UWA lens, due to the possibility of unequal polarisation when photographing a large portion of the sky.

The 'white-ness' of the environment will affect your metering, but should not require you to use any particular filters.

If this is your only concern, then don't have to worry too much on getting filters. Just focus on how to get the correct metering. If you are using the PASM mode, just +- your ev.

A CPL has a certain purpose, get such a filter if you require it but pay attention to what has been said about polarization effects. If you just need the kiasu all-time protector then get a UV.

Yea man, it's the vignette that I heard about. Googled and sounds like I need something like 10mm. Great advice on the metering! I did not consider that!