Filter for Tokina 11-16mm F2.8

NewbietoPro

Sep 24, 2011
Hi guys, i have been doing quite a lot of research on finding a suitable filter for Tokina 11-16mm F2.8

After a short conversation with DareDevil123, he advised me on the possible side effects on CPL filters, thus i have decided to get the Hoya Super HMC UV 77mm instead.

Apparently afterwhich, i have another few questions to ask, which are:

1) What is ND filter?
2) How can it help in landscape photography?
3) Can it be stacked onto the Hoya filter which i will be getting?

Thanks and Regards,
Joseph

Hi guys, i have been doing quite a lot of research on finding a suitable filter for Tokina 11-16mm F2.8

After a short conversation with DareDevil123, he advised me on the possible side effects on CPL filters, thus i have decided to get the Hoya Super HMC UV 77mm instead.

1) What is ND filter?

Thanks and Regards,
Joseph

1) Read here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutral_density_filter
2) It helps in not only landscape photography, even portrait works. In both cases, it basically stop down the shutter speed. That's the main idea. The first reason is you want long exposure in situation when it's too bright even after you are using ISO 100 or less and also down your aperture to f/8. The portrait reason is when you want to open your aperture wide like f/1.2, f/1.4, f/1.8 in bright sun light and the shutter is too fast for your camera. Most are around 1/4000s. It can also be the case you want to use a fill light and to maintain the flash sync speed at 1/250.
3) You can stack until it's longer than your lens, but you will very likely end up with vignetting. :bsmilie:

The Hoya filter works fine. I was using it on my Tokina for a while but ultimately switch all my filters from Hoyas to B+W XS-Pros…simply because the Hoyas are a real pain to clean…and also the B+W is slightly thinner and better for the Tokina.
As for ND filters, google it…all landscape photographers will need polarizers and ND/NDGrad filters..as to which type you get is up to you.
Bare in mind, slot-in filters at 11mm will give you vignetting unless you buy 100mm super expensive types :)
With this lens and stacking a CPL over the Hoya, you will be fine..i stack a Kenko CPL over my B+W and shoot at 11mm with no problems…however, when i use the slot-in grad filters at 11mm, it won't work…only at 12mm and above i don't get vignetting

Thanks David and Spinworkxroy. I guess i will read up more first before purchasing so as not to waste money.
Meantime i will let my lens RIP in dry cabi first LOL

You can always "waste" money and buy the Tianya range of ND filter and just play with it and get used to using filter first before jumping into buying better ones.
The Tianya ones aren't great but they're VERY cheap to play around with. They're only $10 a piece vs $180 for a Lee :) So no harm just playing around with Tianyas…you won't waste much money…maybe like $50 to get everything?

As for the CPL..Since the Tokina is 77mm, it's a pretty standard size for the better lenses out there..so getting a better CPL helps…you will use that more often than the NDs and next time when lens shopping, try getting them in 77mm also lor….

1) What is ND filter?

Thanks and Regards,
Joseph

Did you read Daredevil123's thread Newbie Guide to Filters?
Particularly the post on CPLs and ND filters?
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threads/803029-Newbie-Guide-to-Filters?p=6721873#post6721873

Probably would answer points 1 to 3 I reckon, or at least give you some idea to start.

The idea of the ND filter is to cut the amount of light passing through, without affecting the colour of the light (hence neutral).
The end result is that the you (the photographer) will need to make some adjustments to your settings to compensate for this. These adjustments may have a pronounced impact on the way your photo turns out :)

Thanks all.. i will go and try out the effects of the different filters :)