Filter for Sigma 10-20mm

Status
Not open for further replies.

earthen247

Sep 23, 2007
Recently bought the Sigma 10-20mm lens and now wondering what would be the best filter to buy for it. Was recommended B+W UV Haze slim filter but the price of close to $200 really gave me a rude shock :eek:

Anyone can recommend alternatives that won't burn such a big hole in my pocket? Using a D40x with the lens. Quite concerned about vignetting. Thanks!

get some cheaper slim filter from like hoya then. double check to see whether the filter is causing u any vignetting or not. how much did the lens cost and which shop btw?

just get the normal profile filter... there will not be vignette even with normal UV, but for CPL its better to get the slim type.

me using a normal Hoya UV filter for my 10-22mm lens, no vignetting at the corners. However if using a CPL, I will remove the UV first.

concur with others... I use a Nikon NC filter with no probs... but be adviced that even without filters, the lens at 10mm will vignette, even when aperture is stopped down...

as for polarizing filter, a slim one would be good for less vignetting but expensive... as well, because the angle of coverage is so wide, you might get different levels of polarization across the sky, which may or may not work for your image...:)

No need slim filter. Just a 77mm B+W or Nikon NC will do. I got mine from CS Buy and sell forum. CPL might not work well on wide angle lens as mentioned because the partial polarization of sky colour will look artificial...

if theres vignetting just zoom in a little (it takes abt 1/2-1mm on my 12-24)

past the widest focal length there shouldnt be a prob

Thanks for the feedback guys!

get some cheaper slim filter from like hoya then. double check to see whether the filter is causing u any vignetting or not. how much did the lens cost and which shop btw?

Flipfreak: bought it for $600 on CS buy/sell.

using Hoya HMC on my sigma ...
prob can get around <100.
fits well.. no vignetting, but when stacking cokin adapter I have to remove the filter otherwise will vignette.

er, zooming in to reduce vignetting sort of defeats the purpose of buying a really wide lens right... and the 10-20 will vignette at 10... just a matter of whether it is noticeable in a certain composition... in some situations it is less visible, in others, more... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.