Filter cause ghosting and flaring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yatlapball

May 13, 2006
Volcano Land
www.emotively.com
Newbie question here... :sweat:

Is it because I use a cheapie $20 filter that ghosting happens when I shoot into the light? It's not the lens problem as I tried shooting the same shot without the filter.

Or can more experienced bros/sis here can share some tips on how to reduce the chances of ghosting and flare.

yup.. a cheapo filter with no coating greatly increases your chances of getting ghosting and flaring. Try not to put too many unneccessary pieces of glass in front of your lens.

Lenshood is your friend against flare... ;)

Use Multi Coated filter to reduce ghosting and flaring. B+W MRC is good and easier to clean also.

Lens hood can help. The purpose is to avoid strong light (like a sun) to enter directly to the lens. You can use your palm as a shade too.

Regards,
Arto.

How are you shooting? If it's at direct light no matter how good a filter you will have flares. Good filters will have less flares when shot at direct light but there will be flares.

Yatlapball said:
Newbie question here... :sweat:

Is it because I use a cheapie $20 filter that ghosting happens when I shoot into the light? It's not the lens problem as I tried shooting the same shot without the filter.

Or can more experienced bros/sis here can share some tips on how to reduce the chances of ghosting and flare.

I offer you the only 3 solutions technologically feasible at the moment (until some optics expert designs otherwise).

1) Don't shoot into the light. Recompose
2) Remove the filter before you shoot
3) Buy a B+W filter. If you're talking about UV filter, you can consider the Nikon NC as well.

Lens hoods only shield you lens from stray light which reaches your front element from wierd angles. If the light source is IN the frame hoods are useless.

Artosoft said:
Use Multi Coated filter to reduce ghosting and flaring. B+W MRC is good and easier to clean also.

Lens hood can help. The purpose is to avoid strong light (like a sun) to enter directly to the lens. You can use your palm as a shade too.

Regards,
Arto.

a newbie question...

wat is 'Multi Coated filter '?? izzit a layer on the filter?? :dunno:

yes coatings placed on the glass. look at your spectacles. if you put under light and it reflects strongly, it's not multi coated. if there is a greenish reflection, it's multicoated.

ppl have suggested the nikon nc and b+w mrc which cost around $90 for a 77mm filter. if you don't want to spend so much, get the hoya HMC which goes for about $45 for a 77mm. the hoya though, is a pain to clean.

easiest way to avoid filter ghosting is to remove the filter when shooting a scene with bright highlights.

Status
Not open for further replies.