Filter (77mm)

highwaystar

Feb 15, 2006
Hi All ,

Pls recommend a filter suitable for both portrait/concert.
My gear are as follows

1) D700
2) Nikon 80-200 f2.8D

If there any filter that can be use for the above 2 usage ???
Or I simplify need to have separate filter for different usage ???

Any Brand / model plse recommend.
Perhap can quote how much too.

Thanks you:)

highwaystar said:
Hi All ,

My gear are as follows

1) D700
2) Nikon 80-200 f2.8D

What kind of filter are you looking for? And why do you need a filter to shoot a concert/portrait?

For a starter, you may consider a good UV for basic protection of the front lens when doing portraiture or concert photography.

Beyond that, you may experiment filters for portrait photography by visiting websites of Hoya Filters, Lee Filters, B+W and other filter suppliers.

Squid said:
For a starter, you may consider a good UV for basic protection of the front lens when doing portraiture or concert photography.

Beyond that, you may experiment filters for portrait photography by visiting websites of Hoya Filters, Lee Filters, B+W and other filter suppliers.

Hmm I'm curious too. So what kind of filters should the TS experiment with for portrait shoots?

I am looking for a filter that enhance portrait/concert shooting.
Hope to find one that have dual purposes.
If don't have ... then I have to get individual filter.

I need recommendation from u guys. :)
Cheers

highwaystar said:
I am looking for a filter that enhance portrait/concert shooting.
Hope to find one that have dual purposes.
If don't have ... then I have to get individual filter.

I need recommendation from u guys. :)
Cheers

I don't know any filter that can do that, maybe Squid can help you since he mentioned that you experiment with some.

Have you read the newbie's guide to filters yet?

Hey ...

Thanks you all for the tips

Appreciated

You start photography with fx format camera? Usually beginner like us start with dx lens and body. Excellent for you.

Don't know of any filter that makes your pictures suddenly magical either. That's up to your individual skill as a photographer and post processing work.

Any filter that you throw in front of your lens will degrade image quality. There are also two stances on filters on the dpreview forums. One side absolutely hates it and says the glass shattering from dropping a lens+filter will harm the lens more than without, the other says it offers more protection. I'm somewhere in between and use one when I anticipate bad weather conditions(next to a waterfall, or by a beach when I anticipate seawater spray). Also salesmen will try to talk you into buying a UV filter as they'll usually make more money off the markup on filters than on lenses and camera bodies.

For more info on filters: http://www.bythom.com/filters.htm

If it isn't apparent by now, I'm a big fan of Thom Hogan.

hmm no such filter i guess, day time uv cpl night time normally no filter used

Concert - we can have different kinds of lights, like mercury, halogen, sodium, etc. So, in the old film days, we got to bring a stack of filters to see which one is suitable for the situation. Now, for digital, it is a matter of setting the WB or shoot RAW and adjust it later. At times, the light could be a combo of different lights. BTW, your shutter noise might annoy others in a classical concert. For rock concert, well, no one can hear the shutter noise.:bsmilie:

Portraits - used to have some soft focus filter. Now, it is digital filter during the post-processing.

In the digital age, there are still 2 filters commonly used - UV and CPL.

UV - not sure about others, but I find it of not much help to cut down haze in some distant snow-capped mountain.

CPL - Gives you dramatic blue sky that sometimes makes the pic looks artificial. Also helps to cut down nasty reflections. During a tour in NZ, shooting from a travelling bus, the CPL was a great help in cutting down the reflection from the bus window.:thumbsup:

Concert - we can have different kinds of lights, like mercury, halogen, sodium, etc. So, in the old film days, we got to bring a stack of filters to see which one is suitable for the situation. Now, for digital, it is a matter of setting the WB or shoot RAW and adjust it later. At times, the light could be a combo of different lights. BTW, your shutter noise might annoy others in a classical concert. For rock concert, well, no one can hear the shutter noise.:bsmilie:

Portraits - used to have some soft focus filter. Now, it is digital filter during the post-processing.

In the digital age, there are still 2 filters commonly used - UV and CPL.

UV - not sure about others, but I find it of not much help to cut down haze in some distant snow-capped mountain.

CPL - Gives you dramatic blue sky that sometimes makes the pic looks artificial. Also helps to cut down nasty reflections. During a tour in NZ, shooting from a travelling bus, the CPL was a great help in cutting down the reflection from the bus window.:thumbsup:

Yea, you don't see the effect of UV filters as the body itself already has a filter to filter out UV rays. Now it more of a protective function rather than cutting down haze.

You're missing out ND and GND filters for 'commonly used filters' :)

You start photography with fx format camera? Usually beginner like us start with dx lens and body. Excellent for you.

Kind of irrelevant comment, I feel.
People are entitled to buy whatever camera they feel comfortable with when they take up photography as a hobby.

Some people have huge budgets, and some have more meagre ones. There's no right or wrong way to start.

Hi All ,

My gear are as follows

1) D700
2) Nikon 80-200 f2.8D

If you're talking about portrait/concert with a tele lens, my recommendation is to go for no filter. Hope that helps :)

Hmm I'm curious too. So what kind of filters should the TS experiment with for portrait shoots?

Some people like the 'soft focus' filters, though I think they're a bit cliché, and the effect is replicable in PP.... save cost ($$$) :)

ZerocoolAstra said:
Some people like the 'soft focus' filters, though I think they're a bit cliché, and the effect is replicable in PP.... save cost ($$$) :)

Haha yup I would rather take a sharp image and soften it in PP than to doing it the other way round

haha yeah I dont see the need for TS to have a filter at all...

a diffusion filter might be slightly helpful. or just photoshop like the abovementioned.