Status
Not open for further replies.

cookiez

Oct 6, 2003
I'll be visiting LA & SF in another 1 weeks' time and will be bringing my
EOS 30 along. My main concern is to have the films undergo X-ray
security check in the airport. Heard the X-ray "beam" is much
stronger nowadays after 911. I'm very worried that the films will be
ruined by the X-ray or I shouldn't be worried at all ?

Don't worry... I've been to North America recently. No probs with my films at all after passing through the machine. But if you have high speed ISO800 and above, you should ask them for hand inspection. These days, I think they won't entertain hand inspection for lower ISO ones.

My Press 800 rolls came out ok as well. But maybe try not to do it too often.

Keep your film in hand lugguage and request for hand inspection?

Carry-on bags go through X-ray as well and I am not sure if the airport security will entertain hand-inspection requests unless the film is really high ISO like 800 or above.

Just in case you are considering this, I would advice against using any X-ray-proof bags to protect the film as it is only an invitation to a bag search. If there is something in your bag that the security officer cannot make out what it is with his x-ray machine, he will simply order a bag seach.

Not a good thing to get into if your are about to miss a flight.

If you have exposed negatives try to get them processed before you head back home. Most labs in uS would entertain processing without printing, though the charge may be a little high (~US$6 in where I live). I am not sure if you can process slides without the mounting, but it is worth to ask.

hand carry your film... there will be no problem....
911 or not, many large airport scanners will damage film.

showtime said:
hand carry your film... there will be no problem....
911 or not, many large airport scanners will damage film.

I think what you mean is that the HAND CARRY airport scanners will not damage the films right? If so, I agree with this.

Yes, do not put your films into the main luggage.

From my understanding the last time I travelled a few months back, they are extremely strict when you ask them to hand inspect your films. Only ISO800 and above will do. But like I said, I went thru a few times and no probs at all.

Just came back from the States. Pack your films in clear containers in a ziplock bag and just request for a physical check instead of putting through the x-ray. Shouldn't be a problem. You may want to go earlier to the airport to avoid delay.

Be prepared to go through x-rays if you visit museums or other places of interests in the States.

Thank you guys for your advices. I guess I will have to try my luck and
put on my very best smile when I request for hand inspection. If my
request is rejected, then I will have to let heaven decide the fate
of my films :(

Aiya. Don't worry too much lar. If your are asking politely, most of the time, or rather all the time the US custom officer will be polite too, regardless of rejecting or agreeing to your request.

But since you are going to LA and SF only, i think where you land first in US is your destination, no connection. So you can have all the time to do whatever kind of check you want. But if you are connecting to an domestic flight immediately after landing, i think it is better don't ask for too much "trouble". Especially connecting at SF. It is quite big and very crowded. You will want to get to your connecting gate ASAP. :D

Anyway, at the checkpoint, you will see sign boards saying only ISO800 and above film will be affected. So asking for a hand check might be redundant for anything with lower ISO.

And if you have laptop and belt wth big metal clip, better remove it and place on the tray for scanning, and remember don't carry any metallic item with you when you going through the metal detector. If the detector sounds, then you are in for more "hand inspection". Hahaha.

I think you are transitting in Toyoko. So you better be very cute when you are checking in at gate 28G. Becos if you are not, you will be asked aside to do security check. And if you have a laptop, they will ask you to turn it on. So you better save some battery power for that. If it can't turn on, then you will be in a round of "chicken and duck talk". But don't worry, eventually you will still board the plane, but just how soon. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.