Filming and Photography is not allowed at (Yishun) Bus Interchange!! *Rant!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

He An

Nov 14, 2011
Singapore
www.flickr.com
I was with my friend filming a "short(About 30mins)" time-lapse footage at Yishun Bus Interchange because they are going to tear it down and replace it with a air condition one. We were filming with a GoPro mounted on a tripod and about 10 mins later 2 SMRT staff approach us and ask what we were doing. I explain to them that this bus interchange is going to be demolish soon so i'm filming it down to keep as memory and also for a school project.

But they told us that filming and photography is not allow in their bus interchange:eek:. I was shocked by their respond so I ask them why and they say it is their company policy and filming here is dangerous. I ask them why is it dangerous so they said what if we are terrorist!;( I'm like WHAT THE F*** do you have to come up with this kind of stupid excuse.I know about the terrorist plot on Yishun MRT Station but come on we are students!I told them that this is a public place why can't i film here? There isn't any sign saying filming and photography is not allowed. Plus a lot bus enthusiast also like to take pictures at bus interchange, so what you also count them as terrorist? They even gave a out of context comparison, I quote what the staff said " Do you take pictures at a bank? Even if the bank did not put up a no photography sign."

We told the staff that we will only be filming for 30mins and there is about 15mins left but they keep chasing us away. My friend and I decided to not leave because they did not gave us a reasonable reason why photography was not allowed. So I told them if filming here is really such a big threat to the safety of others, you can call police to come then we will be more than happy to leave. Plus we were filming on a Sunday morning(about 9am). I think after arguing with the staff they also sian already. End up they call their security guard to write down our IC only. While giving our info I asked the security guard why is filming here against the company policy? And guess what she didn't even know,ended up she have to call someone to check why is it against the company policy but after she put down her phone she still did not give me any answer.

Our setup.
CAM01229.jpg

The two staff I'm talking about.

Even a Aunty seating near our setup also said that the staff are being unreasonable and probably trying to "bully" us. So what is your thoughts on this incident? Do you they are over reacting or unreasonable? Pardon my English.Thanks:)

I think they are just not flexible enough or too scared to use their discretion to allow you to do it, in case the company takes action on them for not stopping you. It's probably somewhere in the company policy (or maybe they are simply told) that photography and videography are not allowed in their bus interchanges. After 9/11, many people seem to think that if you're taking photos of a place, you're probably looking to bomb it.

http://www.smrt.com.sg/RiderGuide/FAQ.aspx

Q: Can I take photographs or videos within train station?

A: Yes, if it is for personal use and all photographs and/or videos taken are not reproduced for public viewing or sharing.

If you are using the photographs and/or videos for your wedding, academic projects and/or any for profit purposes, please obtain our written consent before proceeding with your photography and/or filming.

Q: How do I obtain the necessary clearance?

A: You may send your request to Corpcomms@smrt.com.sg. Please state clearly the date, time, venue and purpose of your photography and/or filming session.

Please note that we will need two weeks to review your request and to make the appropriate arrangements to facilitate the photography and/or filming.

Solution: Ask your school to write to SMRT.

To me, this is the worst effect of terrorism. It spread fears, which, in certain cases restrict your freedom from doing certain things.

I feel sorry for TS but I am not blaming anyone here.

Perhaps next time can prepare some letter from school to explain your intent or nature of the project.

No U Turn Syndrome.

The GoPro no... but perhaps if the resulting video is used by some people with malicious intent..

Excatly! Nowadays people just cannot think out of the box or make exception base on the situation. Does a GoPro look like it can kill someone?zzz

Thanks for bringing this out. Erm but technically their FAQ only refer to train stations and not bus interchange.

Well no harm writing in and you can continue unchallenged the next time round.

You are on SMRT premises so technically speaking you should listen to the staff. Of course there is often no good reason to stop photographers but try to keep in mind that people are just trying to do their job, important thing is to know your rights well and treat everyone with the respect due, until you are definitely sure you have the right.

Try to put yourself in their shoes, they are somebody's father, brother, uncle, maybe even grandfather. In this case they do have a right to stop you.

I'm sure you won't argue if a policeman told you to stop even if the same arguments apply. I would agree with you if it is a clear public area. In this case this was not the circumstance and my personal principle is to take the battle to the appropriate people by writing in, not the people on the ground who may not be empowered to decide who gets exempted from the usual processes.

Cheers.

Last edited:
The staff on duty are just following instructions. Please do not cause trouble to them as they are just earning a decent living by following instruction.

Imagine you are the person in charge of a property. Someone come by and start taking photo or in this case video. Then one day the photo or video is being displayed in a very negative form (playboy) and your company imagine is affected. Who is responsible? You may even lose your job for not taking action.

In a win win situation. The students write or call in for permission. The property owner make the requester sign an undertaking letter with their particulars stating the purpose for the photo/video shoot. Everyone is happy.

Do be considerate when you do things within a private property. The person you face are responsible to protect the property. Why would they want to waste their time and energy if there is no such instruction? You think they kepo or what. Hehe

But they told us that filming and photography is not allow in their bus interchange:eek:. I was shocked by their respond so I ask them why and they say it is their company policy and filming here is dangerous. I ask them why is it dangerous so they said what if we are terrorist!;( I'm like WHAT THE F*** do you have to come up with this kind of stupid excuse.I know about the terrorist plot on Yishun MRT Station but come on we are students!I told them that this is a public place why can't i film here? There isn't any sign saying filming and photography is not allowed.

He-An, you sound like a young kid. :) Unfortunately, you are not just in a "public place". It's on the grounds of SMRT. And by law, they don't have to put up clear signs to prevent you from doing what you want to do. They have every right to tell you to move away if they feel what you are doing is dangerous, offensive or will breach security.

Just because you are a student or look like a student does not prove anything. Terrorists have used kids to carry guns and explosives. I know it sound ridiculous in a peaceful place like here, but no thanks to those terrorists, especially after 9/11, life isn't so nice any more.

If you think what you have experienced is bad, you try to go to the US. Don't mess around with the police or authorities there. I was told to go away even when I was trying to photograph certain buildings in public places. You just have to respect the laws or rules there. Don't act tough or stupid. Photography ain't worth it to that extent.

Back in the 90's when I was a student, my classmates and I had a lot of fun doing our school projects. We could take pictures in public which is considered sensitive now and no one stopped us. Photography was what it should be then.

Your best chance is to get a proper letter from your school if you want to photograph in the bus interchange. You are not being bullied. But the staff were doing their job to protect all of us.

I was taking a structure out a building, security came, I asked, he says ok. After some time, another just came over n ask me to go off. I told him first one ok but he says no. I got no choice n pack up. So, it's up to them to close one eye or not else even you taking outside their building, they might stop you too.

I was taking a structure out a building, security came, I asked, he says ok. After some time, another just came over n ask me to go off. I told him first one ok but he says no. I got no choice n pack up. So, it's up to them to close one eye or not else even you taking outside their building, they might stop you too.

If you are outside and on public space, and the building is not a sensitive installation (e.g. army camp), you can explain your rights to do so to the security officers. If they insist I think there is no need to have some extended face off with them, especially when you're in Singapore (i.e. it is a relatively simple matter to return again). What I usually do is write in to confirm the understanding that I'm indeed on public space and therefore there is no "not allowed" rule to speak of, then show the response I get to the guard again, if he or she comes by.

If you are outside and on public space, and the building is not a sensitive installation (e.g. army camp), you can explain your rights to do so to the security officers. If they insist I think there is no need to have some extended face off with them, especially when you're in Singapore (i.e. it is a relatively simple matter to return again). What I usually do is write in to confirm the understanding that I'm indeed on public space and therefore there is no "not allowed" rule to speak of, then show the response I get to the guard again, if he or she comes by.

That's what I been doing for my trip. Write in and ask n print out. Over there got prove can use tripod n got questioned by security, will show them the print out.

Thanks you guys for reply. I will take this as a learning point for my future photography trip. Before this incident I got a mindset that if this is a public area or non sensitive government installation I can just take photographs without any approval, as no as I don't cause any inconvenience to other's.

While I fully understand concerns about security and safety, but FUD (fear, undertaking, doubt) should not be a guideline to act upon. Looking at this (and other, similar incidents) it looks to me as if the staff is unable to assess such situation in a reasonable and structured manner to make a justified decision about whether this tripod / camera in an empty interchange poses any risk. Instead, they just want to get rid of the 'problem' because they can't handle it. Based on what is described by TS, even the security guy does not know about what is written online. This creates uncertainty in the staff. Well, nobody wants to be clueless in such situations. Uncertainty about handling of situation is something that can be addressed with proper training, but that's another topic.
TS: I would recommend making yourself familiar with the respective location and rules before going there for shooting. That will also help to handle situations with onsite staff. And if you see that any form of approval or head-up to the management is in order then just do it. It clears the air and avoids uncertainty.

Status
Not open for further replies.