Filming Abroad as Tourist

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonyboy

Jun 27, 2009
Singapore
Hey guys ,

I will be heading to shanghai & hongkong for some holiday soon. But along the way , i will bring my camcorder to shoot some timelapse footages.

Will i need a fixer/production manager to deal with issues such as permit etc etc? I just dont wanna get in to trouble overseas because i will be using a
mid size camcorder and they might suspect that i am working under a production house secretly even though i am in as a tourist.

So i need help from the lao jiao here...particularly in china/hk...

Thank you!

I would think overseas governments are more receptive to tourists doing filming, unless you are filming key installations or you are going to North Korea, which by the way, my colleague managed to capture some time-lapses there anyway!

I think you should be more worried about your camera being stolen. :D

All i can have is a sturdy video tripod as a weapon..HAHA..

Nah i just wanna get places such as victoria peak in HK & all other beautiful night scenery..
I am not so worried about HK actually. More of shanghai...yeah i should be worried of camera being Robbed..

Mid size camcorder size to a sony DVCAM? Using larger cameras tend to attract more attention, much more from the security guards. But i usually just say i'm a foreigner/tourist and walk away. I'm also overseas right now using just a dslr to shoot, no problem at all since they are used to people with dslrs :p

I will be using a pana ac120..def gonna bring attention...

I suddenly remembered an experience in Feb 2012 that was worth sharing.

After Jerusalem, i took a bus down to the lowest tip of Israel where it borders Jordan. The place is called Eilat. I reached about 2 pm and the weather was perfect. And we are talking about the bluest sky and the greenest grass. I was directed by the hostel to head straight for the beach and i did.

Along the way, i walked past their airport. A small one where only propellor planes sitting approximately 40 - 60 people. I was a perfect picture with the sky and the planes landing. The fence around the airport was low. No security guards of any kind.

So, i took out my tripod, set it to shoulder height, took out Panasonic GX-1, mount it and started filming. Next, i sat on the grass peacefully enjoying the planes landing and taking off. 1 minute passed without any trouble, and so i relaxed myself. I went back to the camera every now and then to check if it was recording right.

The next instance where i was about to sit down, 1 black GMC pick up with yellow swirling lights (no alarm) drove to the edge of the fence close to where i was. Much like those you see in Hollywood movies. In my mind was "Oh ****", but maybe it wasnt here for me. Maybe i should just turn, grab my gear and run! The next second, the second one came from the opposite direction.

Both had their doors swung open with a single driver with a SWAT attire jumping out. They steadied themselves between the door and roof of the pick up and took aim. I could see clearly that it was a M4 Carbine. They cocked it and aimed at me. The distance was about 20 - 30 meters or so. Their fingers at the trigger.

I immediately raised my hands aboved my shoulders (Surrender sign). I walked towards the edge of the fence and shouted, "Its a mistake".

The two guys didnt move but continue to take aim at me. Then the first guy signalled me to walk closer. The second one still aiming at me.

I walked closer until it was the edge. Then i spotted a small gate between me and them. Still with my hands up, i walked towards the gate, SLOWLY. There, the first guy walked with his carbine aimed at me and shouted in jewish. Most israelites speak little or poor English. I kept on saying, "It was a mistake, I am a tourist." I took out my passport from my chest pocket SLOWLY and passed it to him.

*WARNING FOR ALL SINGAPOREANS on Malaysia Immigrant stamp when entering Israel*

I have been caught in this situation in Israel more than once because of these stamps on my Passport. It had the stamps of MALAYSIA inside. And MALAYSIA is a Muslim country while Israel is a Jewish/ Christian State.

- Story continues -

A few moments later, a third black GMC pick up with flashing lights came. Another guy stepped out. He took my passport and examined it. Radioed to the HQ through and forth.

I said, "Hey, I could delete the pictures/ videos if you want."

He replied, "NO DELETION!"

I tried the second and third time, saying that i could delete the pictures and they could let me go. And he said the same thing.

A few moments, he said to me, "You can GO!".

That was when i stopped peeing in my pants. I took my camera down from the tripod, waved to them and headed to the beach nervously. I looked a few times to see if i was followed. Later, as i thought back, maybe the third guy was trying to tell me " Dont have to delete", rather than "No Deletion".

Anyway, i learnt not to mess with these people. They could have fired and asked questions later.

For your consideration should you want to be filming abroad. Haha... Btw, i still have the videos of the planes flying off and landing... haha

Last edited:
I suddenly remembered an experience in Feb 2012 that was worth sharing.

After Jerusalem, i took a bus down to the lowest tip of Israel where it borders Jordan. The place is called Eilat. I reached about 2 pm and the weather was perfect. And we are talking about the bluest sky and the greenest grass. I was directed by the hostel to head straight for the beach and i did.

Along the way, i walked past their airport. A small one where only propellor planes sitting approximately 40 - 60 people. I was a perfect picture with the sky and the planes landing. The fence around the airport was low. No security guards of any kind.

So, i took out my tripod, set it to shoulder height, took out Panasonic GX-1, mount it and started filming. Next, i sat on the grass peacefully enjoying the planes landing and taking off. 1 minute passed without any trouble, and so i relaxed myself. I went back to the camera every now and then to check if it was recording right.

The next instance where i was about to sit down, 1 black GMC pick up with yellow swirling lights (no alarm) drove to the edge of the fence close to where i was. Much like those you see in Hollywood movies. In my mind was "Oh ****", but maybe it wasnt here for me. Maybe i should just turn, grab my gear and run! The next second, the second one came from the opposite direction.

Both had their doors swung open with a single driver with a SWAT attire jumping out. They steadied themselves between the door and roof of the pick up and took aim. I could see clearly that it was a M4 Carbine. They cocked it and aimed at me. The distance was about 20 - 30 meters or so. Their fingers at the trigger.

I immediately raised my hands aboved my shoulders (Surrender sign). I walked towards the edge of the fence and shouted, "Its a mistake".

The two guys didnt move but continue to take aim at me. Then the first guy signalled me to walk closer. The second one still aiming at me.

I walked closer until it was the edge. Then i spotted a small gate between me and them. Still with my hands up, i walked towards the gate, SLOWLY. There, the first guy walked with his carbine aimed at me and shouted in jewish. Most israelites speak little or poor English. I kept on saying, "It was a mistake, I am a tourist." I took out my passport from my chest pocket SLOWLY and passed it to him.

*WARNING FOR ALL SINGAPOREANS on Malaysia Immigrant stamp when entering Israel*

I have been caught in this situation in Israel more than once because of these stamps on my Passport. It had the stamps of MALAYSIA inside. And MALAYSIA is a Muslim country while Israel is a Jewish/ Christian State.

- Story continues -

A few moments later, a third black GMC pick up with flashing lights came. Another guy stepped out. He took my passport and examined it. Radioed to the HQ through and forth.

I said, "Hey, I could delete the pictures/ videos if you want."

He replied, "NO DELETION!"

I tried the second and third time, saying that i could delete the pictures and they could let me go. And he said the same thing.

A few moments, he said to me, "You can GO!".

That was when i stopped peeing in my pants. I took my camera down from the tripod, waved to them and headed to the beach nervously. I looked a few times to see if i was followed. Later, as i thought back, maybe the third guy was trying to tell me " Dont have to delete", rather than "No Deletion".

Anyway, i learnt not to mess with these people. They could have fired and asked questions later.

For your consideration should you want to be filming abroad. Haha... Btw, i still have the videos of the planes flying off and landing... haha

Wow jacephoto , thanks for sharing.

It's shall be perhaps one of the most risky yet fun experience in your life.

Anyway , i had completed my filming in china and not much of the big scene like you experience hahah but everyone
was just staring and wondering if you are from the TV station.

Security will approach you & ask what is the purpose of filming. Just say personal & you will be fine.

Just a photo to share with you guys. This is me in hengdian , china. Behind me , a TVB drama on set.
424512_4629802981398_1261617519_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.