Filmed on camera phone: What can one do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NiVleK

May 15, 2003
Jurong West
daddy.nivlek.per.sg
http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/fo...005540,00.html?

Filmed on camera phone: What can one do?

WHILE waiting at the City Hall MRT station recently, my 14-year-old daughter noticed a man using a mobile phone with a camera feature taking a picture of her.

I am concerned that such an act, which is tantamount to intruding into another person's privacy, if not checked, would eventually result in harm to the subject.

Could the authorities enlighten me about the following:

Does anyone have the right to photograph another person without his consent?

How should one respond when one notices that one is being photographed in the train or at the station?

What should young children and teenagers do?

What is being done to protect members of the public from such intrusion?

If such an act is a crime, I hope the police will send a clear and strong warning to culprits.

TAN POH LYE

LOL... Singaporeans.....all we know is BAN BAN BAN!! :thumbsd:

Why didn't he confront the shooter in the first place? Scared he'll take picture of him? :bsmilie:

Strangely he seem to have issue with camera phones, but if someone uses a big SLR + lens to point at his daughter, wonder if he'll write in as well. In many cases, I've seen situations when snappers with non-phone cameras take pictures of someone's kid(s), the parents are usually supportive, asking the kid to pose/smile/whatever. ;)

Regards
CK

sheesh. leicas, slrs ==> posterity? :bsmilie:

go and open the mouth and ask la, scared for what... it's just a phone, for goodness' sakes.

wonder what our men in green has done about the enlistees bringing in their spanking new phones with inbuilt cameras... :dunno:

sehsuan said:
wonder what our men in green has done about the enlistees bringing in their spanking new phones with inbuilt cameras... :dunno:

dun think cameras or photography by non-official personnel are allowed in security-sensitive installations like army camps.

zaren said:
dun think cameras or photography by non-official personnel are allowed in security-sensitive installations like army camps.

how about official NSF's and NSmen with cameraphones? :dunno:

too prevalent already, i doubt that anyone will be really able to prevent the "invasion" of such phones into the premises...

Army camps ban all such phones. There is a poster of the phone models even to tell you what you should not bring.

sehsuan said:
how about official NSF's and NSmen with cameraphones? :dunno:

too prevalent already, i doubt that anyone will be really able to prevent the "invasion" of such phones into the premises...

They put up an official notice at every camp. No doubt they don't check every NSman, but the provision is there to get you into big trouble, if any suspicious occurs.

Also, you may get away with it in your own camp, but you'd better watch when you need to visit other camps. Diff camps have diff security alertness, depending on how sensitive the site is.

If you don't declare the camera at the guardhouse (ie "Do you have any handphones with cameras, PDAs, cameras, etc" "No.") and the guy at the gate catches it, you can get into BIG trouble.

My company (defence-related) actually lends visitors phones if they come with camera-enabled ones. You just swap the SIM card at the guard house. i wonder how many actually do it though.

One of my NCOs would stake out the entrance, inspect each and every soldier, collect all their camera phones in a box (give them a chit to tell them to collect at the end of the day from the guard house), take the phones back with him, look through all the phones and deciding which phone is better than which one.

Happened for a few days, before he proudly his brand new purchase, saying, "I try so many, I like this best".

Can't say anything lor, since he was the one who got me all the permits for bringing cameras into the camp and exercises.

interesting perspective. because for myself, i'm returning to a 7 month NSF status after a 3 year disruption... thankfully, i'm content with a 3310 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.