Film to be scan in airport

Status
Not open for further replies.

travelplanet

Jan 23, 2004
East
travelplanet.clubsnap.org
Hi , Anybody been to Nepal could advice me whether the x-ray would
damage films ??? I will put it in my camera bag . ;)
Care to share ....

travelplanet said:
Care to share ....
Previous thread.See here

travelplanet said:
Care to share ....

hi travel planet, just to be on the safe side you might wanna consider letting them inspect your film seperately.
just let them know that its film.
hopefully they will understand.

have a nice trip :)

emollientcolt said:
hi travel planet, just to be on the safe side you might wanna consider letting them inspect your film seperately.
just let them know that its film.
hopefully they will understand.

have a nice trip :)

Thanks for the wonderful sharing !!! I will get only slide films . Hope nothing
goes wrong as I intend to put everything on my carry on camera bag .

:bsmilie:

travelplanet said:
Care to share ....
Hi,

I have not been to Nepal but my understanding is that most films are ok when it comes to X-Ray scans in airport with the exception of high ASA films in the range of 800 and above. I used to work in a professional lab and have handled many different types of films sent in by pros working in many third world countries. All of them came through nicely except a particular case from Bali. Funny thing is that this is not the first time he sent it in to us. Secondly, of the 40+ rolls of 1600 films that came in, only 2 was fogged by the X-Ray machine. What puzzled me is that why didn't all the films get fogged? Why only 2 rolls?

Now, with the birth of new X-Ray machines capable of higher dosage scans, it is inevitable that some of our films may be fogged. In fact, some advance countries have X-Ray machines capable of increasing dosage automatically when it detected metallic objects so as to "see through". Such machines are a nuisance to photographers who would like to protect their films from X-Rays by placing them in a lead bag. The higher X-Ray dosage would definitely penetrate a lead bag.

On the contrary, I would say worry not because in Nepal, the machines are of the older generation ones which a simple lead bag may be used to protect against. You may purchase them from any major camera stores in Singapore.

Andy Ho
My CS Gallery

Status
Not open for further replies.