Which is better? Film SLR or Digital for beginners' photography

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthernLights

Dec 17, 2002
Singapore
www.flickr.com
I hope some of you who are pros can advise me. I am a new member. I am in the process of considering between a digital (Nikon Coolpix 5700) and a film SLR Canon EOS 30.

I am stuck between convenience (digital) and quality (Film). Which way is easier to learn photography? I have budget constraint so a D SLR is out.

Any advice for me?

the 5700 has convenience and ok quality, and it's cheaper than a 30+ a 8x zoom 2.8-3.5 lens

get SLR when u're really ready to go hardcore

I am stuck with the question as well some time ago.

Here is by suggestion
Both . Get a entry level film camera (F65, Eos 300,dynax5)Usually this set comes with free lens.kit len is 28-80,28-90(forcanon).The free len is usually 70-300.Plus acessories like dry box , bag, battery,tripod. It can cost up to about $1100-$1200. Use the remaining money to get a canon A40 (abt 380 -430)not sure about price.Abt $80 for 128mb Cf card.. Total is abt 1600-1800..
A40 has maunal controls , good for learning

By buying cp5700 and a 128mb cf card only, it is also cost about 1800.

I know digtal and film may be different. u can shoot both at the same time if time and situation allow. Most of the us do not have the budget. It is not the equipment, it is the man/women behind the equipment.Even Lomo and Seagull can produce good artisic pic.Both of them cost less than $350 each. So does the A40 for a 2 mp dc which cost about $430.

Thanks for the advice.

You see, I owned a S602 Z for 1 month before I sold it off. I was unhappy about the plastic feeling in the pictures and the strange halo that appear in some pictures.

I like the results taken by a film camera, but worry about too much film and no deleting before print.

I did consider before buying the fujifilm. Looks like now back to square 1.

In your opinion is G3 better than 5700?

I would like to learn photography and have read some books and went out to take pictures. IO feel that digital ones seems underexposed at same aperture, shutter compared to film.

diff pple will have diff opinion ............

me feel that me will learn more frm non digitalz .............

u azked which way iz eazier to learn ......... hmmmm .......

for a DC ......... u can review the picz immediately .........

for a non digital ........... there'z an excitment of waiting for ur shotz to be developed ............ n every thing u learn frm ur shotz comez at a price ............... coz u gotta pay for the development ............. hehehehe ........ me feel that thiz makez the thingz u learnt harder to forget .........

:D

I am carrying a F90x now(semi-pro cam)

But when I saw that the pics of distinction student of basic photgraphy course in some photographic clubs.I felt so ashamed of myself. I may be carrying a semi pro cam, but my standard is not even near hers.She is using only a f65 with cheap lens. U can call me a lousy photographer if u like.
This also makes me reflect that it is not the camera but the mind and brain behind it.

Originally posted by xfathom69
I am carrying a F90x now(semi-pro cam)

But when I saw that the pics of distinction student of basic photgraphy course in some photographic clubs.I felt so ashamed of myself. I may be carrying a semi pro cam, but my standard is not even near hers.She is using only a f65 with cheap lens. U can call me a lousy photographer if u like.
This also makes me reflect that it is not the camera but the mind and brain behind it.

precisely... so sohet shd buy a f55 and sign up for the course with the rest of the money ;p

I thought he was a first timer mah, so did u I guess..

sohet if u've used the 602 and didn't like it it's time to go film...

Originally posted by sohet
IO feel that digital ones seems underexposed at same aperture, shutter compared to film.

it happens to film-type camera too. You cannot always trust your camera metering. Since you have read some books, doesn't the book tells you camera will be fooled by tricky lighting?

The fundamental question is, you are a newbie to photography. The only way for you to improve your skills is to take more photos. Take more photos challenges your eyes to look out for photographic details and composition, lighting conditions etc. Previously before the digital era, countless of photographic students spents time and money taking photos and developing sildes, films etc.

You can't have your cake and eat it. If you want to improve your photography skills, take more photos. And from there:- If you are using film, be prepared to spend tons of money on films and developing. If you want to save money on consumeables, then go digital. Both ways lead to the same purpose.

To go film or digital is very individual. Some newbie agued that they buy film camera first to practise photogrpahy before upgrading to digital. After awhile, they felt that they want a digital camera because it look more fashionable to be seem with one. Also they started to be influenced by peer pressure on having digital cameras and its advantages. Then they sold off their film camera and "upgrade" to digital camera. In the end, they are still as lousy in photography as when they first started out.

Some guys I know are merely equipment collectors. Absolutely no substances but made lots hell of noise to gain attention in focums etc. They boosted about big expensive equipments, but when it comes to photography, it totally sucks big time.

Cameras, especially digital, are fast becoming a fashion statements. It's trendy to be seem with one. For most, the smaller the better, as with their handphone. For most photographer or "think he's a photographer just because he owned a camera", the higher ranges the better. Then there's the minority photographers are the real pros ones.

Anyway my point is, what is a camera meant to you? See this world through a viewfinder or LCD screen? Or to be seem as a hippy yuppy? Or wat?

When I was getting my SLR, I initially thought I'd like to buy an 'entry-level' SLR and later upgrade. Then I was advised that if I really was into photography, and was able to afford it. I should put in that bit more money the first time instead of adding in funds when I upgrade.

In the end, I got an FM2 (not sure what class camera you guys think it is... ) and I am not even contemplating any upgrades. I may add a camera but I don't think I'll ever not use my FM2.. :)

I also do not see why you should purchase 2 cameras. Isn't it better to pool your money on one good camera? For me, I would definitely buy an SLR and since you said you can't afford a DSLR........ :)

Depend on what you shoot. If youre shooting for web pics and not too concern abt speed then the digicam is the best choice.

If you want speed and control there is no digicam which come close to a SLR. For me I would not consider a P&S digicam even if nothing else is available.

I purchase a used kodak p&s digicam for $600 3 yrs back. sold it at a pathetic $85 last month with batts and charger since it is obsolete now. Never again will I buy another digicam.

Well, I gues if the DSLR in question is a 20Megapix pne... then maybe I will consider getting one.... but then again, it'd prob be too ex...

Film and digital are in different categories of photography. Make sure you know the differences about both and then probably you're the best person to answer the question which one you need. After that, it's time to go scouting on the brand that you want.

For most lay people, owning digital cameras is a fashion statement rather than knowing what the differences are compared to film cameras. I'd certainly like to help you but I won't go into the details here on the differences between the 2 as it can literally take pages to list down! Email me if you want and I'll gladly help you.

1 big thing I'd like to point out which is often overlooked by over-enthusiastic beginners is that if you want your images to look decent, you must also be proficient in a good photo-editing program. You can take 1 day to learn the basic tools or spend months trying to perfect the art of correcting a digital image.

For prints, you have the convenience of the shop to do the colour, contrast and sharpness adjustment for you. For slides, what you see is exactly what your equipment is capable of giving you and of cos based on your photography skills.

So in digital photography, the big work does not come from simply pressing the shutter. IMHO, a large part depends on your photo-editing skills. Personally, I spend a damn lot of time on the latter. And I'm still learning!!!

doing so will let u form ur own opinion... otherwise like now u're just throwing meat into the lions' cage...

snarl snarl growl growl (get c5050z)

If you had used the S602 and didn't like it, why are you considering another digicam? Just go for a film SLR. ;)

However, I feel that if your aim is to learn photography, both film SLR and a digicam (non-SLR) have their pros and cons.

Digicam
----------
+ can take lots of pictures without consideration of consumable costs
+ ISO can be changed anytime
+ learn abt exposure, composition, etc. which can be useful for both film and digital

Film SLR
-----------
+ good DOF control (can have nice 'bokeh')
+ good AF speeds (compared to digicams)
+ interchangable lens for various purposes

So you got to weigh your own pros and cons to see what you are trying to achieve.

Status
Not open for further replies.