Film scanning services

ewejin

Sep 15, 2012
Singapore
Hi Clubsnappers!

I am about to buy a film scanning machine well, to scan my own films. This scanner will scan at high pixels at about 7200dpi. It's different with other flatbed scanners because this machine only scan films. Machines like Plustek or Pacific Image. If you heard of it before, you will know how good these machines scan films.

Question is, if i were to provide film scanning services around Singapore, any of you think will be a good idea? But paying for quite a price for a film scanner, i was thinking why not put it to good use?
I know there are alot of film labs doing film scanning as well, but i'm not sure if it's any cheaper or higher quality for you to be able to print images up to A2 size. I will probably lower the charges as I'm just doing it for fun.

Let me know what do all of you think?
Cheers.

Would be a good idea, I don't mind using your services. Beats scanning on cds and dvds, i can pass you my thumbdrive.

karmaloop said:
Would be a good idea, I don't mind using your services. Beats scanning on cds and dvds, i can pass you my thumbdrive.

Same here.
:)

Welcome to clubsnap.
You can try use a facebook or blog to promote /advertise your film scanning service,
however, film scanning service is classified as commercial services in Clubsnap, Commercial Services Offered

you will need to be an advertiser if you wish to offer your film scanning service here.

FYI, we have zero tolerance for any forms of back door or ninja advertisement.

Hi Clubsnappers!

I am about to buy a film scanning machine well, to scan my own films. This scanner will scan at high pixels at about 7200dpi. It's different with other flatbed scanners because this machine only scan films. Machines like Plustek or Pacific Image. If you heard of it before, you will know how good these machines scan films.

Question is, if i were to provide film scanning services around Singapore, any of you think will be a good idea? But paying for quite a price for a film scanner, i was thinking why not put it to good use?
I know there are alot of film labs doing film scanning as well, but i'm not sure if it's any cheaper or higher quality for you to be able to print images up to A2 size. I will probably lower the charges as I'm just doing it for fun.

Let me know what do all of you think?
Cheers.

If you have something like the Nikon Coolscan scanners, like the 5000 or 9000, that will be great.

But scanning is a dedicated skill just like photography. I want to hire good photographers, not any guy with a good camera. The same way I want to hire someone who knows scanning, not someone with a scanner. And, you have not buy your scanner yet. Not to pour cold water, but just thinking aloud.

Also, you just registered this month, 3 posts so far. We donno you. I really prefer to deal with known members.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the kind advices. Well... to find out whether my service is good or not we'll have to let time decide. I'm still new here so i'll do my best providing the services. Besides that, I'm a fulltime web/graphic designer with over 7 years of experience, i fully understand resolutions, qualities of photos and all the technicalities. The only thing is just to start using knowledge in using the scanner to get good result scans. I will keep this thread posted when i have the scanner with me so you guys can see my work =)

Also, i'm learning to develop my own B/W films. Therefore this might take a while before I can show you the scan results.
Again, thanks everyone and i'll keep this thread moving.

P.S: How do I move this thread to Commercial Services Offered?

Cheers!

It will be better posting a new thread for more details given..

to sign up as advertiser, you can (need to) DIY,

please see top right of this page, click on Setting

on the setting page, see left menu panel, look for paid subscription under My Setting/My Account

click on paid subscription, choose your option and follow the instructions.

If you purchase "Access to create Threads + Sticky", you can PM me or any Mods in charge of MarketPlace to mark your thread sticky.

thank you.

do you know that you are going to be competing against a well established film scanning service that is already present in clubsnap?

not to pour cold water, but best if you do some research first before you decide to plunge in.

Thanks for pointing that out hellfire88. I understand where you're coming from. This will only be a past-time hobby for myself to help others bringing their film negatives to digital format.
I have no intention of running over other members here in Clubsnap. I don't do this fulltime like others do. On the other hand, it doesn't hurt to have more than one source of scanning services for others to choose from.

No offence intended to anyone out there.

Cheers.

Yup more options is always good, especially if you are using different scanner from what's available out there. Do your research well :) Would personally love to see more options out there.

Thanks for pointing that out hellfire88. I understand where you're coming from. This will only be a past-time hobby for myself to help others bringing their film negatives to digital format.
I have no intention of running over other members here in Clubsnap. I don't do this fulltime like others do. On the other hand, it doesn't hurt to have more than one source of scanning services for others to choose from.

No offence intended to anyone out there.

Cheers.

having more options is good. i used to self develop b/w and scan film negatives but the workflow has been too time consuming for me and I always cant get the scan colours right for my slides. even for black and white scanning it took me a long time before i could get a half decent scan. i was using a dedicated film scanner as well.

personally for me, film scanning is even harder than photography and is something that require much more time and patience and a big passion for the film medium.

wish you all the best. will be waiting for your results and i will definitely be interested in your services.

having more options is good. i used to self develop b/w and scan film negatives but the workflow has been too time consuming for me and I always cant get the scan colours right for my slides. even for black and white scanning it took me a long time before i could get a half decent scan. i was using a dedicated film scanner as well.

personally for me, film scanning is even harder than photography and is something that require much more time and patience and a big passion for the film medium.

wish you all the best. will be waiting for your results and i will definitely be interested in your services.

Yup i agree with you. Will try it out first myself before i'm able to cater for other's needs. Keeping in mind that their films are a lot more important and cannot be damaged in the process of scanning.
Moderator: I won't be advertising anything over here I guess i don't have to move this to the Commercial Services Section yet. Will do so when I am ready.

Thanks!

What kind of scanner you are getting? Im in color separation trade for more than a decade. During old days, we only used drum scanner to scan slide and transparent which able to produce razor sharp image and nice color. But nowadays flat bed scanners with built in film adaptor are so affordable that anyone can do their scanning at home or office. But again, nowadays everything is digital And I doubt scanning is required. I still have a Mustek P3600 A3 size Professional film scanner & Epson A4 as backup laying in my store for years and once a while, I will still do some scanning for my friends and customers... Unless you can make full use of it if not is a waste to invest one. Just my 2 cents.

What kind of scanner you are getting? Im in color separation trade for more than a decade. During old days, we only used drum scanner to scan slide and transparent which able to produce razor sharp image and nice color. But nowadays flat bed scanners with built in film adaptor are so affordable that anyone can do their scanning at home or office. But again, nowadays everything is digital And I doubt scanning is required. I still have a Mustek P3600 A3 size Professional film scanner & Epson A4 as backup laying in my store for years and once a while, I will still do some scanning for my friends and customers... Unless you can make full use of it if not is a waste to invest one. Just my 2 cents.

Well this scanner is specifically for 35mm film negatives and slides only. There are a few imaging manufacturers like 'Plustek', 'Pacific Image', 'Nikon', 'Konica Minolta' which scans at 3600dpi and higher. I have read some reviews in comparison to some of the newest scanners like Epson V700 are a close fight, but anyhow it is still better.

I shoot film most of the time and sending film out to develop and getting it scanned are very troublesome for me at times. So i decided to develop it myself instead and getting the scanner for my own use. So I can also help others to scan for a small fee during my free time.

Not to pour cold water on the OP's idea but you are going to need more than just a scanner and web/graphic designer occupation to impress around here. What about colour fidelity? What will you be using to ensure accurate colour in your scans, what spectrophotometer and software solutions will be implemented and what will be your ambient light policy? What monitor will you be using and what's it's gamut and indeed does it even cover the entire Abobe1998 RGB range? Does the scanner? How may bit resolution per colour channel and so on?

These are the sort of technical issues you are going to have to address to work with any professional photographer shooting on film and then you will be up against drum scanners with highly competent operators that are scanning at far higher resolutions than 7200 dpi (optical, not interpolated).

Not to pour cold water on the OP's idea but you are going to need more than just a scanner and web/graphic designer occupation to impress around here. What about colour fidelity? What will you be using to ensure accurate colour in your scans, what spectrophotometer and software solutions will be implemented and what will be your ambient light policy? What monitor will you be using and what's it's gamut and indeed does it even cover the entire Abobe1998 RGB range? Does the scanner? How may bit resolution per colour channel and so on?

These are the sort of technical issues you are going to have to address to work with any professional photographer shooting on film and then you will be up against drum scanners with highly competent operators that are scanning at far higher resolutions than 7200 dpi (optical, not interpolated).

Ian,

I think OP's audience would probably be novice who wants to shoot film and not wanting to scan themselves. Not really for professional usage.

I think it is better off just buying it to scan for yourself rather than scanning for others to be honest. I rather to be a photographer and not to worry about printing or scanning myself. Leave them to the pro who know their 2c.

Regards,

Hart

Unless you willing to pay the fee for professinonal drum scanning which is so rare nowadays.

Remember those days, they charge $30-50 per drum scan..

Unless you willing to pay the fee for professinonal drum scanning which is so rare nowadays.

Remember those days, they charge $30-50 per drum scan..

Why not? If they can provide a quality service that I need, I am happy to pay. I prefer to pay for quality any time, I prefer getting value. But I see many prefer cheap which give lesser value. It's personal choice I suppose.

Hart

Not many think this way and that's why lot of Repro house closed down.

And I can remember there are only a few still around.

May check out ColorScan, New Colombia, Unique Color, Procolor and they also provide professional DI as well.

I would target Novice photographers who shoot films such as Lomo or any other film photographers whom just want a better quality digitally but not for the Professional photographers who has higher expectations for their scan qualities. As far as quality of imaging is concerned, i'm sure those professional film photographers really know what they want and where to get their scans done. No offend intended to anyone out there, this is what i think from my point of view.

Cheers.