Film Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

fitzy

Aug 31, 2008
s733.photobucket.com
Hi, Im currently looking for a film scanner (not a dedicated one of course).
Narrowed down to 2 models - Canon 8800f and the Epson V500.
8800f is cheaper than the V500, both are within my budget.
Which should i get? I'm looking for a scanner that could easily scan 135 film with sprockets and also colour accuracy with X-Pro film.

Try the CanoScan LiDE 700F. It is cheap and good.:)

Try the CanoScan LiDE 700F. It is cheap and good.:)

Hi. Just wondering if there's an issue with colour or colour profile when scanning negs from this scanner?

Hi, Im currently looking for a film scanner (not a dedicated one of course).
Narrowed down to 2 models - Canon 8800f and the Epson V500.
8800f is cheaper than the V500, both are within my budget.
Which should i get? I'm looking for a scanner that could easily scan 135 film with sprockets and also colour accuracy with X-Pro film.

With X-processed film, what sort of colour accuracy are you talking about when the colours you get are out of this world and inconsistent?

Back to topic, I have the 8800F and i think its the best scanner for the money, can't go wrong with this model. Scans both 135 and 120 film:)

With X-processed film, what sort of colour accuracy are you talking about when the colours you get are out of this world and inconsistent?

I tried scanning my xpro neg at work using an old hp scanner (able to scan film). The result was really bad, colors was off and will take alot of time pp in ps.

The reason I'm asking regarding color accuracy is that i read on the web that its hard to get accurate color using flatbed film scanner. Almost 90% of the film I shoot is xpro and I don't want to waste time pp.

Really thinking of getting the 8800f over this weekend, so before i jump on it, i would like to get some reviews on the 2 scanner.

Thanks for the input.

Usually when scanning, I get weird colour shifts in during preview, so what i do is i colour correct picture by picture, by clicking on a neutral area before commencing the scan.

I find that easier to do in Vuescan, rather than PS.

Colour negs are nightmare to scan sometimes, slides are much easier.

For the 8800f, is it easy to scan neg including the sprockets?
How fast it scan and at what resolution?

Speed depends if ure scanning tiff or jpeg? 300 dpi or 2400 dpi?

Say for example, a 2400 dpi jpeg scan will take something like 3 mins.

Btw, you can scan the sprockets by doing it DIY, using a CD jewel case cover and putting it over the film during the scan. Cos the holders don't show the sprockets.:) Hope it helps.

Speed depends if ure scanning tiff or jpeg? 300 dpi or 2400 dpi?

Say for example, a 2400 dpi jpeg scan will take something like 3 mins.

Btw, you can scan the sprockets by doing it DIY, using a CD jewel case cover and putting it over the film during the scan. Cos the holders don't show the sprockets.:) Hope it helps.

Thats great, thanks for the info. Will get it this weekend.

I got mine from FUWELL at level 5 i think, at 295, nets payment. with 12+3 mths canon warranty. Maybe the price dropped by now:)

I got mine from FUWELL at level 5 i think, at 295, nets payment. with 12+3 mths canon warranty. Maybe the price dropped by now:)

Thats even cheaper than what they qoute me last Wed (16/09) - $299. Not a cent lower even if i pay cash.
Other shop are selling at normal retail price of $319.

Oh no, dunno what's wrong with shops these days. Maybe u check around other shops and ask around. Doesn't make sense for them to charge so high.

Oh no, dunno what's wrong with shops these days. Maybe u check around other shops and ask around. Doesn't make sense for them to charge so high.

Yup, that SLS for you...somethings just never change...

Status
Not open for further replies.