Film > Scanned to CD > Development

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevyan

Jan 5, 2005
PR
Hi all,

I have some questions with regards to printing of photos.

When I take pictures using film, I will bring it to the lab and ask them to develop and scan it to CD.

So, I will have the negatives and the scanned pictures in my CD, no prints.

My question is this - Can I throw away the negative and just keep the CD?

Reason being, since I already have soft-copy of my pictures, why would I still need the negative?

Is there a difference is term of the quality and size of printing for the negatives and from the CD?

Thank you in advance for all the advise that is coming.

U will need the check on the quality of the scanned negatives on the CD.

If quality is poor, then u still need to keep the negatives or rescan at higher quality.

ernest_ted said:
U will need the check on the quality of the scanned negatives on the CD.

If quality is poor, then u still need to keep the negatives or rescan at higher quality.

Rescan at higher quality? :think: what is the max size I can print from the CD compare to the negative?

And normally, the lab will scan at what quality? Is there additional charge if we want them to scan at the highest quality?

I suggest you still keep the negatives in case you need to scan them again. The max size depends on how your images are scanned in the first place (4 or 16 base etc.) 16 base scans usually give you images around the 3000+px resolution range. Different labs charge different prices/use different scanners.

Try Kex: http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=145951

kevyan said:
Rescan at higher quality? :think: what is the max size I can print from the CD compare to the negative?

And normally, the lab will scan at what quality? Is there additional charge if we want them to scan at the highest quality?

Try asking kex (thru PM).
He would be able to help you.
On top of that, his scanning service is very good and the charges very reasonable.
I have sent many rolls of my 'old' negatives to him for scanning.

Throw away the negs???

I would never do that. You never know when you need to scan again.

I strongly suggest you keep your negs. It's after all the master copy.

Status
Not open for further replies.