Film Processing

Status
Not open for further replies.

shutterspeed

Oct 14, 2003
Visit site
Will there be any difference in results if I were to send Fuji 400 H negative film to be processed at Kodak instead of Fuji. While I understand that printing on Kodak paper may yield a different result, what about the processing of the negatives?

Does anyone have any experience if printing of Fuji negative on Kodak paper will yield decent results.

Thanks

Well, bascially there's no clear answer to waht you're asking there, because there's so many variables you have to consider. If you are only considering normal type of consumer photo labs, the film processing and printing will vary even between Kodak and Fuji.

If you want to find the best prints for your fuji negs, i suggest you try printing a few copies with several labs until you find the one that's right for you, having fuji negs doesn't necessarily mean you need to go to a fuji photo lab.

Patryk said:
Well, bascially there's no clear answer to waht you're asking there, because there's so many variables you have to consider. If you are only considering normal type of consumer photo labs, the film processing and printing will vary even between Kodak and Fuji.

If you want to find the best prints for your fuji negs, i suggest you try printing a few copies with several labs until you find the one that's right for you, having fuji negs doesn't necessarily mean you need to go to a fuji photo lab.

How about in terms of the chemical? Will Fuji labs utilise Fuji chemical that will be able to bring out certain characteristics of the film? For example, I felt that a pair of Sony headphone sounds better with Sony MP3 players / ATRAC compression sounds better than my Creative MP3 player. I don't know why?

I feel that the 'warm' characteristics of Kodak film generally go well with the 'cool' tone of Fuji papers. Not sure if it applies the same the other way round.

Technically, 135 colour negatives use the C-41 process, so it's a standardised workflow and it shouldn't vary from lab to lab. Anyway they use machines to process the negatives so the variables and error margin are minimised. That is barring any shops that "cut corners" and use expired chemicals or don't maintain their machines properly, etc.

So, in short, for processing only, you can go to any lab. The bigger variable is often how the minilab operators do the prints.

Status
Not open for further replies.