Film negative scanner

teokf

Apr 24, 2012
Tawau, Sabah
Hi,

I am going to retire, so thinking of spending some time to organise my film negatives into a digital format.

I would like recommendations of

1. Which digital format is preferred.
2. What is the preferred resolution. It is for archival purpose for the family. But resolution good enough for a 6 x 8 inch print.
3. Ease of use. But, if it is going to be costly, I will go with less automation and more manual since I will have lots of time.
4. A brand that meets the above needs.
5. Any other considerations that I am unaware would be appreciation.

Thanks

Hi,

I am going to retire, so thinking of spending some time to organise my film negatives into a digital format.

I would like recommendations of

1. Which digital format is preferred.
2. What is the preferred resolution. It is for archival purpose for the family. But resolution good enough for a 6 x 8 inch print.
3. Ease of use. But, if it is going to be costly, I will go with less automation and more manual since I will have lots of time.
4. A brand that meets the above needs.
5. Any other considerations that I am unaware would be appreciation.

Thanks

It depends on what size negatives you want to digitise. If it's 35mm then there are plenty of scanners at every price point of less than $100 to hundreds. If you have 120 medium format then there are less products to choose from.

Generally there are big flatbed scanners that need pc and software or small standalone scanners but do the job with less hassle and time.
Just search film scanners and it will turn up more than you have imagined.

I don't think you will go the flatbed route but from what I have surveyed in terms of output quality the Plustek 8k series will be top tier but need pc and software not to mention learning curve. Prices start at $400+ .

Then there are the standalone scanners which use 14/22 mp sensors, 22 being interpolated or not true native resolution. 14mp will print bigger than 6 X 8 in. Or even display on a 55in. TV if it has hdmi output. Take note that the construction of these devices may have dust issues as you use them but they provide a cleaning brush to clean the light source but not the camera lens. Also note that their film holders or lack of them will show up as soft corners in the scanned image. Depends if you can accept this hit on quality output. Choose models that have 5in . screen as it is helpful for old aged eyes..haha. Models that you can check out are Minolta, magnosonic and others. Also check YouTube reviews if you can find them. There is Plustek model that was considered better than a flatbed Epson V600.. 7200 which is a lot cheaper but video said it works for up to windows7 but if you can find software that can use windows10..no guarantee.

Last edited:
Alternative, and if you have a digital camera at hand, there are several solutions using DSLR (mirrorless or not does not matter).
All what you need is an even light source behind the negative and a camera mounted straight in front or on top. If you have a light table for your negatives, this could already work, together with a camera mounted on tripod. Some people recommend using macro lenses for this approach.
Use RAW settings for the files, import into your favorite image editor and done. Of course, you will need to perform the color / B+W conversion into positives in the software.

Some links:

It depends on what size negatives you want to digitise. If it's 35mm then there are plenty of scanners at every price point of less than $100 to hundreds. If you have 120 medium format then there are less products to choose from.

Generally there are big flatbed scanners that need pc and software or small standalone scanners but do the job with less hassle and time.
Just search film scanners and it will turn up more than you have imagined.

I don't think you will go the flatbed route but from what I have surveyed in terms of output quality the Plustek 8k series will be top tier but need pc and software not to mention learning curve. Prices start at $400+ .

Then there are the standalone scanners which use 14/22 mp sensors, 22 being interpolated or not true native resolution. 14mp will print bigger than 6 X 8 in. Or even display on a 55in. TV if it has hdmi output. Take note that the construction of these devices may have dust issues as you use them but they provide a cleaning brush to clean the light source but not the camera lens. Also note that their film holders or lack of them will show up as soft corners in the scanned image. Depends if you can accept this hit on quality output. Choose models that have 5in . screen as it is helpful for old aged eyes..haha. Models that you can check out are Minolta, magnosonic and others. Also check YouTube reviews if you can find them. There is Plustek model that was considered better than a flatbed Epson V600.. 7200 which is a lot cheaper but video said it works for up to windows7 but if you can find software that can use windows10..no guarantee.

It is 35mm negatives. And thanks for the heads up. Much appreiated

Alternative, and if you have a digital camera at hand, there are several solutions using DSLR (mirrorless or not does not matter).
All what you need is an even light source behind the negative and a camera mounted straight in front or on top. If you have a light table for your negatives, this could already work, together with a camera mounted on tripod. Some people recommend using macro lenses for this approach.
Use RAW settings for the files, import into your favorite image editor and done. Of course, you will need to perform the color / B+W conversion into positives in the software.

Some links:

Thanks for letting me know of an alternative. Considering after scanning the negatives I will have no need for the scanner. Again, thanks. Much appreciated.