Film for a Selomnisation shoot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

raptor84

Dec 6, 2005
Singapore
www.furry-photos.com
I was considering between these few films to shoot a friends solemnisation ceremony. It will be conducted mostly indoors with a large glass wall to let in some ambient light (will sill use flash).

Colour:
1. Fuji NPC
2. Kodak Portra 160 or 400 VC
3. Fuji NPH
I would like to ask your opnions on these few films and your expereinces with them. So far i have only tried NPC and like the results under good lighitng. It handles dull lighting pretty well as its a natually high contrast film but i wonder how it would handle people with flash.

I am not familliar with b/w films so maybe some of you can reccommend some to me? Also is it possible to shoot with a high iso film to use the ambient light more?

raptor84 said:
I was considering between these few films to shoot a friends solemnisation ceremony. It will be conducted mostly indoors with a large glass wall to let in some ambient light (will sill use flash).

Colour:
1. Fuji NPC
2. Kodak Portra 160 or 400 VC
3. Fuji NPH
I would like to ask your opnions on these few films and your expereinces with them. So far i have only tried NPC and like the results under good lighitng. It handles dull lighting pretty well as its a natually high contrast film but i wonder how it would handle people with flash.

I am not familliar with b/w films so maybe some of you can reccommend some to me? Also is it possible to shoot with a high iso film to use the ambient light more?

i personally like the fuji films for a more 'neutral' skin tone colour. the porta is a little too rich for me. however, some photographers i've heard like the portra film for weddings becos of the warmer tones (i asked mr ho over at ruby b4).

if u can find the Pro-series of fuji film in the stores, u can try it. this is my current favourite for both the 35mm and 120 format. so far, i've no complaints abt using this film with flash - as long as i bounce it off something (which is much preferred anyway).
http://www.fujifilm.com/JSP/fuji/epartners/proPhotoProductsPortrait.jsp

BnW - some wedding photogs here like the fuji neopan. i bought some b4 over at konota (neopan 1600). at ISO1600, shld be more than enuf to shoot in ambient lighting. :)

nightwolf75 said:
i personally like the fuji films for a more 'neutral' skin tone colour. the porta is a little too rich for me. however, some photographers i've heard like the portra film for weddings becos of the warmer tones (i asked mr ho over at ruby b4).

if u can find the Pro-series of fuji film in the stores, u can try it. this is my current favourite for both the 35mm and 120 format. so far, i've no complaints abt using this film with flash - as long as i bounce it off something (which is much preferred anyway).
http://www.fujifilm.com/JSP/fuji/epartners/proPhotoProductsPortrait.jsp

BnW - some wedding photogs here like the fuji neopan. i bought some b4 over at konota (neopan 1600). at ISO1600, shld be more than enuf to shoot in ambient lighting. :)

Hmm most lab can process b/w negatives too right? How well does neopan handle being pushed 1 stop and how much does 1 roll cost?

I think thier new Pro series replacess thier older NP seires ( it was NPC/NPS160 and NPH400 previously) and ye sii like how my first roll or NPC turned out. Thanks for your feedback and help.

raptor84 said:
Hmm most lab can process b/w negatives too right? How well does neopan handle being pushed 1 stop and how much does 1 roll cost?

I think thier new Pro series replacess thier older NP seires ( it was NPC/NPS160 and NPH400 previously) and ye sii like how my first roll or NPC turned out. Thanks for your feedback and help.

u mean your normal neighbourhood colour labs? nah. most dun do BnW processing for u. most of the time, its either DIY in ur bathroom, or u can send it off to places like ruby (they sub-con it out to another person to develop and print), or KT over at hong lim complex. i used to send it to ruby for developing, then scanned the negs into CD.

mebbe its just me, but i almost never push my BnW film. so, i'm afraid i can't answer ur question on how neopan will behave when u push it 1 stop. can't remember how much is 1 roll of neopan 1600 at konota already... bought last yr. :embrass:

I will most likely develop in bedok since i kex offers b&w developing and scanning all in one shop . Might go down konota to see prices liao.. thanks agian.

raptor84 said:
I will most likely develop in bedok since i kex offers b&w developing and scanning all in one shop . Might go down konota to see prices liao.. thanks agian.

yeah! if u live ard the east, kex is the man to go to! many good reviews from our eastern living CSers. hehe... if u got great pics, ask kex to imacon-scanned them for u... :devil:

nightwolf75 said:
yeah! if u live ard the east, kex is the man to go to! many good reviews from our eastern living CSers. hehe... if u got great pics, ask kex to imacon-scanned them for u... :devil:

I stay in punggol but i went down to try it out :) Latest batch of NPC scanned there..

spelling error..i think

raptor84 said:

Unless you are doing it for "fun",I think you should not be using B&W for such important events as weddings. Your question indicates you know little about film B&W imagery.

Do not use NPC (now replaced by Pro160C) if your friends are wearing traditional black and white. The high contrast of NPC/Pro 160C will not hold details in both black and white. NPS/Pro 160S is the preferred film for that sort of application.

I do not know the way that you are accustomed to using flash, but if you do want to use flash, you can only let ambient light infleunce the exposure if the flash is only being used as a low-level fill, otherwise it will overwhelm the available light. In general, you will have to throttle down your flash and open up your lens, and shoot at about 1/30s or even less.

Keep in mind the colour temperature of the environment as this will influence film choices.

IMHO, if shooting under tungsten lighting indoors, a lower contrast film (NPH400/ NPZ800/Natura1600) is preferable, because unless you are shooting with correction filters, it will be a lot easier to correct, or partially correct the tungsten cast when printing.

I recently shot a wedding with available light only, using NPZ800 and Natura 1600. IMHO, Natura 1600 is the best high speed film available now, though you have to purchase it direct from Japan as Fuji does not import it here. Its contrast and colour balance is a lot like NPS/ Pro 160S, but with an effective speed of about 800to 1000.

I agree with student that you should not use B&W if you are unfamiliar with it. There are too many variables, and high quality processing is not available in Singapore, unless you DIY.

LKSC said:
Do not use NPC (now replaced by Pro160C) if your friends are wearing traditional black and white. The high contrast of NPC/Pro 160C will not hold details in both black and white. NPS/Pro 160S is the preferred film for that sort of application.

I do not know the way that you are accustomed to using flash, but if you do want to use flash, you can only let ambient light infleunce the exposure if the flash is only being used as a low-level fill, otherwise it will overwhelm the available light. In general, you will have to throttle down your flash and open up your lens, and shoot at about 1/30s or even less.

Keep in mind the colour temperature of the environment as this will influence film choices.

I agree with student that you should not use B&W if you are unfamiliar with it. There are too many variables, and high quality processing is not available in Singapore, unless you DIY.

Hmm yes i am unfamlilar with B/w and would like to try it out someday. what other high speed colour negatives are available or would you reccommend? I am not the main photographer there just a backup so i would like to be able to capture good shots although the pressure to od so is not that high :D

raptor84 said:
Hmm yes i am unfamlilar with B/w and would like to try it out someday. what other high speed colour negatives are available or would you reccommend? I am not the main photographer there just a backup so i would like to be able to capture good shots although the pressure to od so is not that high :D

If you are a backup, then go ahead and have fun.

My suggestion is to use a chromogenic film like Ilford Xp2 and let it be processed the usual way.

student said:
If you are a backup, then go ahead and have fun.

My suggestion is to use a chromogenic film like Ilford Xp2 and let it be processed the usual way.

Ahh ok any other b/w films that can be processed normally?Also how does the xp2 handle being pushed 1 or 2 stops?

raptor84 said:
Mind telling me whats the diff between illford ,neopan and kodak tmax? also whats the iso rating for illford and why can it use the c41 process? Where can this film be bought too..

Ilford is a brand of film while neopan is traditional B&W film by Fuji while Tmax is also a traditional B&W film by Kodak.
For ilford, they have both traditional and C41 B&W film. Different film types got diff iso. Here are a few for eg.
1. Ilford Delta 100 (ISO 100)
2. Ilford Delta 400 (ISO 400)
3. Ilford Delta 3200 (ISO 3200)
4. Ilford FP4 (ISO 125)
5. Ilford HP5 (ISO 400)
6. Ilford Pan F (ISO 50)
7. Ilford XP2 super (ISO 400) This is a C41 process B&W film.
As for why can it be processed by C41, think it got to do with how the emulsion works.

I just read that the illford hp2+ can only be exposed at 800 and processed normally and founf out that kodak also makes a BW400CN thats also processed by c41. Anybody used this before?

Also does anyone know where to find FUJI NPZ (800 speed) film? and how the quality is?

raptor84 said:
I just read that the illford hp2+ can only be exposed at 800 and processed normally and founf out that kodak also makes a BW400CN thats also processed by c41. Anybody used this before?

Also does anyone know where to find FUJI NPZ (800 speed) film? and how the quality is?

I think you are talking about ilford XP2 and not hp2+. There is a HP5+ (silver halide negative)which has a nominal rating of 400, (but actual rating may be closer to 250).

Kodak 400CN is also a chromogenic film and can be processed in the usual way by most photoshops.

The choice of XP2 and 400CN is a matter of choice. They are very similar, although I personally prefer XP2. The advantage of chromogenic films is ease of development and little grain. They can be used for "dreamy/softer" effects.

if u dun intend print the traditional way via an enlarger,it will be better to use a hi speed color film instead.

Scanning and converting them to B&W/sepia/blue etc.. print is MUCH faster and easier,u get the color option if u like as well!

Fuji range of hi speed film is really impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.