Film effect

lekguan

Jul 29, 2006

1. In what area is critique to be sought?
how the film effect appears and how does the photo feel overall

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
bringing a feeling of 'old' yet 'dynamic.

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
I always thought this row of houses look interesting seemingly in a patch of grasses and surrounded by trees. I was walking home with my camera for taking photos for my school project when i decided to stop and take a photo. When i saw the result of the photo I thought maybe it was a little boring so I decided to add some film effect.

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
Maybe the picture seems a little messy. Not too sure of the film effect because it's my first time experimenting with it. The subject doesn't seem to stand out.

Last edited:
I am kind of intrigued by the subject title here, "film effect". Being a faithful film user, I can't even be sure if two films would even give you the same effect. So, I am really just going to use my imagination to think of what you're trying to do here.

Now, obviously the first problem (as with most night photography images) you face here is exposure. If you've noticed, the whole image have two distracting flare, coming from the road laps in the foreground (left side) and the residence lighting from the HDB (right side).

Secondly, the focus is tad too distracting. If I were to hazard a guess, you might be using too wide an aperture for the landscape, making the subject in the middle very sharpen, while the rest of the image (which fall out of the DOF) seems subpar. Just compare the tree in the middle and the trees at the side to see what I'm trying to get at.

Thirdly, the dimension of the picture is kinda funny too. Are you trying to use portrait here? Or are you doing a landscape format? Given the obvious flaws in the left and right side of the image, I do wonder why you have opted to just crop them off, and make it a portrait format. There are lots of elements to fill the image up as it is in a portrait form.

Also, for landscape imageries, it is a caveat against subject that are not horizontally straight. The houses in the middle (which essentially form the main subject) are a few degrees off.

The theme you are trying to portray here is old, yet dynamic. However, there's no hint in what is so dynamic about the scene. If anything, the presence of the HDB (which looks more modern by the way), give even more contrast in saying that the subject is just old. And giving a serene look with sharply enhanced leaf blades of the grass and the large sky, just doesn't give that message at all.

Still, I would think that the edit mostly work for me. Lost the niggering bits to the image and you may actually have a winner here.

How long was the exposure?