film camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Death-star

Nov 17, 2009
hi there. i've been into dslr for quite a fair while. recently, i've beeen very drawn towards film cameras. i love the mood from film. but i dont exactly have much knowledge about it. im thinking of buying a film camera. would pros out there recommend me a few? do they differ from each other? i mean, dslr differs cause of electronics. what about slr? hmm. any other afvices would be much appreciated! thanks!

er, ok.. you have basically asked the film equivalent of "what is a dslr? how to choose? spoonfeed me please! oh please!"

well, you can grab an entry level slr and start shooting a roll. it isn't that expensive.. in the short run.

do note that digital lenses might not work on film slrs.

Aside from lack of LCD, ISO and white balance functions, film SLRs are the same as DSLRs features wise. In fact, some of them even have advanced features that no DSLRs have, e.g. eye controlled focus on the canon EOS 5.

er, ok.. you have basically asked the film equivalent of "what is a dslr? how to choose? spoonfeed me please! oh please!"

well, you can grab an entry level slr and start shooting a roll. it isn't that expensive.. in the short run.

do note that digital lenses might not work on film slrs.

agree with nightmare.

for film you can get the basic negs, such as kodakgold 200, 400 or fujifilm superia 400.

if you like b&w there's kodak t-max 400...

as for lenses if you're getting a SLR(those newer gens with af) then you can use any FF lenses. if you're getting those manual SLRs, get those lenses with an aperture rings as the others wont work

This topic is HUGE.

Different film gives vastly differing results from exposure through to processing.

Depending on what YOU want, hitting the target for you is nearly impossible.
If you are starting out in film I would recommend a fully manual slr with no batts or metering and some Ilford Delta B&W film (my pref). Then progress with colour film & slides after grasping the basics. Heck, you may even benefit from spending some time with a rangefinder... :)

Main thing is to ENJOY!!!

PS. Self processing B&W then printing/scanning is satisfying and does not cost a bomb.

hey, thanks for the advices. nono, im not asking for spoonfeeding. lol. i've been reading for a few days non-stop already. but im very blurred by so many different types of films. and cameras. what kind of film camera are considered entry-leveled? i thought all film cameras are similar unlike dslrs?

Think of it this way.

Film camera = light box
Film = "sensor"

1. Get a box.
2. Choose a sensor.
3. Load
4. Shoot
5. Development
(6. Scan)

Box also got paper box, plastic box, magnesium alloy box, metal box.

hey, thanks for the advices. nono, im not asking for spoonfeeding. lol. i've been reading for a few days non-stop already. but im very blurred by so many different types of films. and cameras. what kind of film camera are considered entry-leveled? i thought all film cameras are similar unlike dslrs?

entry level film slr, usually have lousier build, but are light, cheap, and the good thing about film is that other than features, it's a level playing field, the "sensor" depends on the film you load.. and IQ will be on par if the same lens and film is used.

entry level film slr examples include

pentax mz-30
1_ZX30_Front.jpg

note the plastic mount

this one, which i have, also only has PREDICTIVE AF. for the love of god, if you want to know what that is, please use google. why i hate starting to bother to answer questions from people who seem to fire them off is that one answer will lead to 400 more. why? because the mentality is "ask lor... got nice person to answer mar." to be fair, there is limited information on film photography on the net in terms of film models.

there are many types of slr based on era..

some will not have af motor, i.e. you can only manually focus with lenses. these may or may not have a lightmeter, and therefore may or may not require batteries.

note that older models will not use common batteries easily found today, you might need battery adaptor, or pay through the nose for custom made batteries.

the more modern ones will operate just like a dslr, just that you will have no playback, etc. for obvious reasons.

here's a higher end slr..

canon_eos_5_front_flash_1_lq.jpg

canon eos5, note the metal mount

generally you pay for what you get.. for me, film is just a diversion.. so a cheap one that does the job for what i want to use film for, i.e. portraits of people close to me.. that's enough.

and that's just SLR type of film camera

still got RANGEFINDER, film P&S cameras

got 80000 things to use..

hey, thanks a lot. and no, i will google it myself. its just sometimes the info are too complicated. thanks a lot, it've been helpful.
from what you've said, it doesn't seem worth it to settle for a 'good' slr'. thanks again!!

If you want a recommendation, ive tried many systems and so far the Olympus OM system is great, small, compact and quiet. Love my OM1 to death, its all mechanical and lenses are quite cheap. Can use em on the EOS bodies as well via adapter.

if u want more info, PM me.

hey, thanks a lot. and no, i will google it myself. its just sometimes the info are too complicated. thanks a lot, it've been helpful.
from what you've said, it doesn't seem worth it to settle for a 'good' slr'. thanks again!!

well, the trouble with slrs is that they are hardly available new.

if you buy it brand new today, you will usually have to get a relatively high end model. otherwise, you'd have to get it second hand. for example, canon uk's website only shows ONE film slr, eos 1v.. that's probably the equivalent of 1dmarkII or III perhaps, i won't know..

it costs 1,603 GBP new.. that's a whooping 3K upwards in sgd.

for second hand slrs, ebay in UK is crawling with them. most low level models will not cost much and will not incur gst.. the trouble is shipping fees.

you can take a look at some second hand film models at the camera workshop, peninsula plaza. not the best of prices, but at least they will be relatively good condition. and they would have entry level. peninsula plaza has a number of 2nd hand shops i think. or you can try your luck at cash converters, sometimes they do have these, but condition will be more iffy.

happy searching and reading up.

If you want a recommendation, ive tried many systems and so far the Olympus OM system is great, small, compact and quiet. Love my OM1 to death, its all mechanical and lenses are quite cheap. Can use em on the EOS bodies as well via adapter.

if u want more info, PM me.

manual focusing though!

i liked the OM i had, but i am a lazy boy. :bsmilie:

plus, the more i looked at my poor 35 litre dry cabinet, the more i felt sorry for all the stacks of lenses in it. :bsmilie:

I like my FM2.

hey, yeah. im planning on visiting camera workshop soon. i got my lense recently there and the uncle was pretty friendly. and if i did not remember wrongly he said all the second hand cameras are used by him last time. is it possible to use so many cameras? and the number of lenses!?!?!? it would be really impressive

hey, yeah. im planning on visiting camera workshop soon. i got my lense recently there and the uncle was pretty friendly. and if i did not remember wrongly he said all the second hand cameras are used by him last time. is it possible to use so many cameras? and the number of lenses!?!?!? it would be really impressive

don't believe everything you hear! :bsmilie::bsmilie:

soon you be asking the type of film in the market..

HAHAHA!! ya, i can't bring myself to believe him. anw, i've done my research on films! haha, photography is much more addictive than i used to think it would be

Hi Deathstar,

Maybe you can take a look at this article:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/filmdig.htm

And wiki it of course:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-lens_reflex_camera

No point reading the forum if you don't try it, honestly speaking.

Just spend a max of 200-300 bucks with any SLR Camera and a 50mm f1.8 lens and try it out yourself - with the same basic exposure method you use with a DSLR, minus the Live-View, Histogram checking, Trial & Error, Multi-Shooting Till You Get What You Want, kind of methods - you get my idea.

That way, the initial damage will be low for just giving it a shot. Everyone should try film at least once.

Wiki for Canon AE-1, Canon Ftb, Nikon FM10, Pentax K1000 or Olympus OM10. Then check at Buy&Sell section to buy one that comes with a 50mm lens. Search and download the manual for the camera you bought online and read it - especially the parts on how the camera meters the light.

Keys points for film cameras:

1) Most Film Cameras Are Manual Focus
2) ISO = Film Speed (You are stuck in that ISO for 36+/- shots in a single roll of film for yr cam)
3) You have to try it to know the right questions to ask.
4) The 1st part of your journey will most likely be trying to get at least 80% of the 36 shots in a single roll of film to be exposured & focused as what you want it to be.
5) Then depending on your desire & motivation, you can either give it up, or start having fun with the special characteristics of film photography.

Hope it helps =)

Status
Not open for further replies.