Filled & Unfilled Warranty..

PhotoProZero

Jan 25, 2007
NorthEast
Hi Peeps,

I have a question. I have seen so many sellers in BnS stating that their items' warranty are unfilled and blah blah....and some items can be as old as from 1/2 a year to a year.

I find that this is pretty misleading...what i understand is that, many are looking at receipts for warranty. Its nno longer the warranty card.

I was asked once to produce a receipt for old 17-85mm lens in CSC. When I couldnt produce, they will use the manufacturing mth & yr.

Anyone?

Perhaps this might help to explan. It only applies to Nikon though the logic should be similar.:)

See here

yup, unfilled warranty card is useless. you need the receipt that shows the date of purchase to confirm your warranty. (unless your warranty card carries the shop's stamp with date of purchase - they might accept it)
Most selling post mentioning unfilled warranty are mis-leading potential buyers.

Perhaps this might help to explan. It only applies to Nikon though the logic should be similar.:)

See here

Thanks Treetrunk. It is useful for Nikon users.

yup, unfilled warranty card is useless. you need the receipt that shows the date of purchase to confirm your warranty. (unless your warranty card carries the shop's stamp with date of purchase - they might accept it)
Most selling post mentioning unfilled warranty are mis-leading potential buyers.

I agree! It's rather misleading for buyers to put "unfilled" warranty card or even not registered online. :( The receipt is the most important. As a seller myself, I usually give my proof of purchase for items that has existing warranty. I just hope buyers out there will be smart enough to check with the respective-make for verification before diving into items that says unfilled warranty! :sweat:

maybe it stems from mobile handset warranty mindset.

I remember when mobile handset warranty cards HAD to be filled up at time of purchase. The date imprinted denoted the start of the warranty period. I've sent a relatively new phone in for repair, and they only checked the warranty card.

But they probably learnt their lesson quickly, after unscrupulous sellers practised not filling in the warranty card.

maybe it stems from mobile handset warranty mindset.

I remember when mobile handset warranty cards HAD to be filled up at time of purchase. The date imprinted denoted the start of the warranty period. I've sent a relatively new phone in for repair, and they only checked the warranty card.

But they probably learnt their lesson quickly, after unscrupulous sellers practised not filling in the warranty card.

hard lesson, ain't it??? ;p At least they are now smarter!!!

And to add, this might be the kind of people to avoid dealing with. :nono:

this is my biggest gripe! completed warranty card was nulled because the receipt vanished cos its thermal paper. wtf!

wadever happened to honesty? is it only in sg that warranty claims needs to be supported with a receipt? its the same for camera, lens,bags, phones, electronics, furniture, bed etc etc etc.

now i hv to scan n keep a softcopy of the purchase, make a photocopy of the receipt (regardless of the type of paper) and hope the original doesnt tear when i file my documents. why should consumers be made to pay with all this ley-chey-ness.

unscupulous business or dishonest consumers? wad do you guys think?

this is my biggest gripe! completed warranty card was nulled because the receipt vanished cos its thermal paper. wtf!

wadever happened to honesty? is it only in sg that warranty claims needs to be supported with a receipt? its the same for camera, lens,bags, phones, electronics, furniture, bed etc etc etc.

now i hv to scan n keep a softcopy of the purchase, make a photocopy of the receipt (regardless of the type of paper) and hope the original doesnt tear when i file my documents. why should consumers be made to pay with all this ley-chey-ness.

Morale of the story, photocopy the reciept everytime u purchase a new lens, camera..etc

I would always make it a habit of doing that and keeping the photocopy/original of the reciept, warranty..etc with my boxset somewhere safe.... cos u never know when you will need them and its a real headache to want something and find it missing/damaged :)

Morale of the story, photocopy the reciept everytime u purchase a new lens, camera..etc

I would always make it a habit of doing that and keeping the photocopy/original of the reciept, warranty..etc with my boxset somewhere safe.... cos u never know when you will need them and its a real headache to want something and find it missing/damaged :)

thats wad i do too. a whole folder of these nuisance. like one bro
mentioned, this culture stemmed from the mobile phones days when dealers sell phones and dont stamp their warranty cards, making it difficult for manufacturers to verify them.

then the culture to keep boxes as verification, and now receipts. when will it stop?

just to add,

i see many in Canon BnS claiming XX period of international warranty...

Canon SG DOES NOT accept international warranty. warranty only applies to local set.

and some camera items does not have the 3 months extra warranty if register online.

not sure about nikon and other brands tho.

just to add,

i see many in Canon BnS claiming XX period of international warranty...

Canon SG DOES NOT accept international warranty. warranty only applies to local set.

and some camera items does not have the 3 months extra warranty if register online.

not sure about nikon and other brands tho.

where did you get that claim from? if you are talking about the recent changes in international policy, yes. the newer made canon lenses do not have international warranty anymore.

But those lens manufactured before the policy, international warranty still holds, and canon Singapore will accept it if you can produce the receipt.

over the phone recently.

when was this policy up?

but as for the extended 3 months warranty not applied to some product, it's in their website. canon flash is one of them.

I think unfilled warranty is useless for Canon. The actual date of my purchase have been updated automatically on Canon's website for every item I've bought when I register my warranty online... so its totally pointless when people in BNS indicated unfilled/unregistered warranty, 12+3 mths warranty.

I'm always amused and amazed how some sellers have the courtesy and conscience to state unfilled warranty card.

One seller was typically rude to me when I requested for the photocopy of receipt. Not only he refused to give, he was also rude.

I think unfilled warranty is useless for Canon. The actual date of my purchase have been updated automatically on Canon's website for every item I've bought when I register my warranty online... so its totally pointless when people in BNS indicated unfilled/unregistered warranty, 12+3 mths warranty.

Totally agree. But I think for those who does that, let's give them a little benefit of the doubt. :)

unless like in the case of PhotoProZero, that's a different story...

Well, hahaha, yah...my bad timing...I ended up paying S$120 for my then 17-85 lens..;)

I'm always amused and amazed how some sellers have the courtesy and conscience to state unfilled warranty card.

One seller was typically rude to me when I requested for the photocopy of receipt. Not only he refused to give, he was also rude.

Amused wouldn't be the word. Another thing would be the 12 + 3 mths(E warranty). This only applies to bodies and not lenses for nikon products. This "mistake" appears almost every day in BnS.:(

Amused wouldn't be the word. Another thing would be the 12 + 3 mths(E warranty). This only applies to bodies and not lenses for nikon products. This "mistake" appears almost every day in BnS.:(

So qtn is: who should facilitate such matters, so that buyers can buy at ease as well? :dunno: