Fill-in/Pop-up Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

enkindel

Oct 4, 2006
Ágætis byrjun
When taking a photograph at night or in low lighting, I sometimes use the fill-in/pop up flash. This however results in a white-wash or the subject's face be white and bright and the background dark. Though I noe pop-up flash cannot make the background bright.

How do I then "even out" or soften the harsh tone of the flash to be more uniform with the background and the face dont turn out "so white"?

many thanks

ps using 400D

When taking a photograph at night or in low lighting, I sometimes use the fill-in/pop up flash. This however results in a white-wash or the subject's face be white and bright and the background dark. Though I noe pop-up flash cannot make the background bright.

How do I then "even out" or soften the harsh tone of the flash to be more uniform with the background and the face dont turn out "so white"?

many thanks
N.gif

ps using 400D

using a seperate light to soften would work well

If u're the pop-up flash, it's mostly direct flash when u shoot.
The power of the flash maybe too harsh.

If u want it not to be too harsh and the light not to be too direct, maybe u can consider a pop-up flash diffuser.
It's being sold in the mass order sub-forum by some advertisers.

many thanks

ps using 400D

Expose for the background with long shutter speed and also reduce the flash ev to balance out the subject. If possible, use rear flash sync mode with reduced flash ev. :)

You can set your camera to night portrait mode. That mode will give a balanced exposure for the bg & your sbject. ;)

many thanks

ps using 400D
understanding the Inverse-square law will tell you why can't "even out" with single light source (pop out flash).

using flash plus set camera shutter speed low with tripod is the most simple way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.