fill flash on bright day

Status
Not open for further replies.

fz30_user

May 5, 2006
Hi Guys,

I'm using a 400D and Aperture priority most of the time. Problem is during bright day when the meter is above 1/200s I get overexposed shots. I think because the flash can only sync up to 1/200s. Any workaround if I want to stick to aperture priority mode?

Hi Guys,

I'm using a 400D and Aperture priority most of the time. Problem is during bright day when the meter is above 1/200s I get overexposed shots. I think because the flash can only sync up to 1/200s. Any workaround if I want to stick to aperture priority mode?

Did you try to drop the flash ev ?? For fill flash, you need to drop it down to -1.0 or less...

the overexpose is due to the ambient, not only fill flash.

I believe TS is want to use big aperture with fill flash during sunny day.
most of the time the ISO is lowest, shutter speed is at the max of sync speed.

you don't have much choice.
Use FP
Use ND filter
Use smaller aperture

if all failed, change location or use D70 :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

the overexpose is due to the ambient, not only fill flash.

I believe TS is want to use big aperture with fill flash during sunny day.
most of the time the ISO is lowest, shutter speed is at the max of sync speed.

you don't have much choice.
Use FP
Use ND filter
Use smaller aperture

if all failed, change location or use D70 :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Why D70? underexposure tendency?? :bsmilie:

Don't use flash for fill-in light lah. Use reflector.

Regards,
Arto.

1/500 x-sync instead of 1/200s x-sync.

Regards,
Arto.

Or D40, for that matter. But not D40x, which doesn't have a electronic shutter. The problem is these cameras don't have ISO 100.

In fact the maximum sync speed on such cameras can be well over 1/500s. The hard limit then is the discharge time of the flash (<= 1.3ms on 580EX).

To TS - get a good external flash for daylight fill, and use it in High-speed sync mode.

the D70 recommendation is a good one :thumbsup: but i'm allergic to Nikon :bsmilie:

for the external flash, what's the highest speed can it sync?

thanks.

if you believe in shooting with big aperture for portraits, than you should forget about to shoot it with fill flash.

use fill flash when necessary.
I find the best result is two stops down from the ambient light.

many pic shot with fill flash are so fake, it just look like cut and paste, especially with the facial touch up, doesn't look like portraits anymore, every model's face look like painting of Kuan Ing, so :eek:.

how to hack to tat fast??? lol

D70 uses electronic shutter (not the physical focal plane shutter). Therefore, there is no physical limitation to the sync speed. The sync speed is only limited by the firmware. The hack just remove the limitation in the firmware.

BC

very simple, just tell your D70/D70s that you are not using Nikon Flash, than you can sync all the way to 1/8000s, of course Nikon will not tell you this will work.

Hi Guys,

Are you using an external of built-in flash?

If you're using external flash, set your flash to High Speed Sync. It will allow you to sync with shutter speed faster than 1/200s. Also, control your FEC to get your desired output.

very simple, just tell your D70/D70s that you are not using Nikon Flash, than you can sync all the way to 1/8000s, of course Nikon will not tell you this will work.

Bro..we missed out that TS wants it to be on Aperture priority..
To be able to use the hack sync speed, one has to shoot in manual mode..

Status
Not open for further replies.