File Size for Olympus DC jpgs

Status
Not open for further replies.

lytefunk

Feb 15, 2002
Visit site
was reading the manual and around some webpages..

i assume
SHQ means super high quality
HQ means high quality
SQ means standard quality
(eh.. don't seem to find anywhere that states this.. maybe i'm not looking hard enough)

so how come a 1600x1200 HQ file is smaller than a 1280x960 SQ high file ??

in this case, would it be better to save in HQ or SQ?
in terms of quality of image and file size (does the quality difference make up for the difference in file size?)

Originally posted by lytefunk
was reading the manual and around some webpages..

i assume
SHQ means super high quality
HQ means high quality
SQ means standard quality
(eh.. don't seem to find anywhere that states this.. maybe i'm not looking hard enough)

so how come a 1600x1200 HQ file is smaller than a 1280x960 SQ high file ??

in this case, would it be better to save in HQ or SQ?
in terms of quality of image and file size (does the quality difference make up for the difference in file size?)

The image quality setting is made up of 2 parts -->

1) Resolution - the higher the resolution, the bigger the file size.

And.....

2) JPEG compression rate - lower compression rate means higher quality, but bigger file size.

Always save in SHQ. The high resolution + low JPEG compression rate gives u the higheest possible image quality aside from using TIFF.

That said, a 1280x960 SQ file at high quality setting has a much lower compression rate than a 1600x1200 HQ file...thus the bigger file size for SQ. If u switch the SQ image quality to low u'll see that the file size is reduced drastically.

Due to the lossy nature of JPEG files...an image with lotsa details will have a bigger file szie than one with less details, at the same resolution.

ee Jayan u use SHQ ah? I dun really find a diff leh HQ SHQ... since I dun ever get the colour saturation that warrants using SHQ from the cam anyway...

Originally posted by denizenx
ee Jayan u use SHQ ah? I dun really find a diff leh HQ SHQ... since I dun ever get the colour saturation that warrants using SHQ from the cam anyway...

Ermm.....SHQ or HQ has nutting to 2 do wif color saturation leh!

If u crop and resize then u'll get problem wif HQ...but with SHQ the graininess is less severe.

Of course, better is to use TIFF.....but 15MB per file!!! :eek:

JPG compression loses colour faster than resolution mah.. that's why u see bricky gradients for small jpgs... maybe not "saturation" per se but chrominance detail? (cheemology haha)
yeah tried TIFF *ONCE*... once.

Status
Not open for further replies.