Field test with the Drain-pipe (80-200/2.8L)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

Apr 27, 2002
www.asianhomebiz.com
Wonder how does the forgotten drain-pipe (DP) perform out in the field? All shots wide open.

This is Jeff taking the DP for a test ride. Under shade in afternoon sun wide open.

30591625.jpg

In a restaurant with ambient light.

30591620.jpg

Is this my Bike? No sirri. In the sun.

30591624.jpg

Ice-cream man. Chill out time.

30591623.jpg

So hot even the leaves are "charred".

30591622.jpg

Catchup time in the park.

30591621.jpg

My impression: Fast even w/o USM. Tack sharp straight from cam. Beautiful bokeh. Black. What flare?? :D

Could be better: Weight is forbidding at >>1kg. AF is not totally silent but does not bother me.

Overall: Excellent. My first zoom indeed.

So if you don't like the white rabbit, this good old drain-pipe is a very good alternative.

After thoughts: I have both the drain-pipe and the prime pipe. The primepipe is convenient due to its low weight= 1/2 drain-pipe. :eek: Now I have another reason for taking more portraitures. :) You guys just have to bear with my poor skills for the moment until I master them all. :sweatsm:

Well, a picture speaks a thousand words! What fantastic quality; sharpness, colour, bokeh....all there, and you must have gotten a real bargain for it too. Not just "drainpipe" Jeff, people call this the "magic drainpipe", and we can see why.

Congratulations on having this gem!

Yes..absolutely great lens for its price. I own one too..erm how much you got it for? :)

SpitFir3 said:
Yes..absolutely great lens for its price. I own one too..erm how much you got it for? :)

For me to know. For u to guess. A very good price from a very very nice man. ;)

Jeff said:
For me to know. For u to guess. A very good price from a very very nice man. ;)

haha...just say higher or lower than $650? ;p

bokeh is beautiful for all except the last one!

but then, how much u paid for this lens?

Yes the magic DP is very sharp and pretty fast (for non USM lens)... tested on a few weeks ago.

oeyvind said:
Yes the magic DP is very sharp and pretty fast (for non USM lens)... tested on a few weeks ago.

I totally concur, coz I was the owner of that lens :D

The 80-200L is one of the hidden gems in Canon's L lens lineup that is worth a second look :)

sharp the pics are! but funny leh why call it drain pipe? .hehe

clive said:
sharp the pics are! but funny leh why call it drain pipe? .hehe

According to this thread, it's Magic drainpipe = 80-200/2.8L (Nicknamed by AdamT and Juli Valley)

http://www.dphoto.us/forum/showthread.php?t=274

It's also described in this site http://194.100.88.243/petteri/pont/Reviews/dc_Canon_200_mm_f2.8/a_Canon_200_mm_f2.8L.html

Canon 80-200/2.8L: The "Magic Drainpipe." Out of production for a while now, this lens still packs a wallop. One of the sharpest zooms Canon ever made, it's by all accounts very fast-focusing too, despite its noisier non-USM motor. It's big, black, and heavy, though. It could be a very good buy on the used market

Status
Not open for further replies.