Field Test with Formatt Pro ND10

chiangkxv

Jul 5, 2008
Tiong Bahru
www.flickr.com
1. This is a field test with Formatt Hitech Pro ND10 Filter.
This field test will be focusing on the colour cast this filter produced and how easily it can be corrected. This filter comes in 2 version, 85mmx85mm (Cokin P) and 100mmx100mm. I am reviewing the former version.

As you would have know, this filter comes with a gasket to prevent light leakage but it cause severe vignetting. thus, i have removed the gasket and DIY my own gasket to seal a gap using a soft foam material from daiso, cut into size, double side tape it onto the holder instead of the filter. The Result turned out pretty well.

2. Disclaimer
This test is not done is a controlled environment and has no scientific backing. It is based on my own opinion and experience.

3. Test 1: Density of filter

3.1 Shot without filter

DSC00932

3.2 Shot with Filter, 10 stops adjustment

DSC00933

3.3 Shot with Filter, 10 and 1/3 stops adjustment

DSC00934-2

3.4 Shot with Filter, 10 and 2/3 stops adjustment

DSC00935

3.5 Shot with Filter, 10 and 11 stops adjustment

DSC00936

Last edited:
Thank you Administrators and Moderators for approving my half cooked review. I shall continue with the rest.

4. Test 2: Colour cast and white balance

4.1 Shot without filter (Auto White Balance)

DSC00947

4.2 Shot with filter (Auto white balance)

DSC00945

4.3 Shot with filter (in camera custom white balance)

DSC00946

4.4 Shot with filter (post process custom white balance)

DSC00945-2

5. Maintenance
This filter is rather easy to maintain. Blower, spectacle cloth and lenspen for stubborn stain.

6. Feedback
The colour cast seems strong, but it is reasonably easy to correct. The severity of the colour cast also differs under
different lighting conditions. I still prefer my old B+W ND110 in this aspect though. Having said that, the blue cast
seems to make the sky and water more blueish, which can be a nice thing.

Last edited:
Addition: Vignetting at 10mm on Sigma 10-20

How my 85mm x 85mm Hitech Pro ND10 perform on my Sigma 10-20 with Cokin P wide angle holder

DSC01022

Thats all for now. Fellow Hitech ND10 user are welcome to share their pictures here.

This is certainly better than the old 10 stop. However the Blue cast is very severe, it's best to shoot in raw to color correct the image in a photo editing software. nice review :)

This is certainly better than the old 10 stop. However the Blue cast is very severe, it's best to shoot in raw to color correct the image in a photo editing software. nice review :)

Thanks for dropping by fellow Hitech Pro ND10 user.. Yes, the colour cast seems severe, but in-camera custom white balance or PP could easily correct it. :D Any shots to share?

Thanks for dropping by fellow Hitech Pro ND10 user.. Yes, the colour cast seems severe, but in-camera custom white balance or PP could easily correct it. :D Any shots to share?

Yep :) As you can see there are still some Blue tint on, i just desaturate it to make it less obvious :cool:

5866608178_0b9c39bb45_z.jpg

Last edited:
Before: ACR default treatment
IMGP3914.jpg

After:
IMGP3913.jpg

almost no blue cast once loaded in ACR. it can comfortably auto-compensate for the blue cast, though on-camera LCD it was very obvious.

color information (RAW) is still satisfactorily captured and retained, though I haven't tested it extensively.

Straight out from camera, its blueish alright but easily corrected if shooting raw.

6ejexk.jpg

Last edited:
@macaroni: i think i see reflection at the lower section of the pic? or is it flare?

I think its the water drop cos i was taking at a low angle close to the water prior to shooting this.

@chiangkxv: Thanks for a really useful review!

I wonder if you could tell me how you removed the foam gasket, and any cleaning solution you used to remove the glue residue?

Its not glue, its some double sided tape. So turpentine does a decent job.

U will need to improvise your own gasket. A bad job will lead to light leak during long exposure.

Btw, I got a bad copy (initial ver.). So back to using b+w nd already.

Last edited:
Many thanks for the info. Thing is with my Cokin holder the existing gasket doesn't even form a decent seal, so there's no reason not get rid of it and make my own, but I guess I'd better check my filter thoroughly for defects before I take the plunge!

Thanks again.