Field Test: The Olympus E-PL2

megaweb

Staff member
Jan 17, 2002
East
megaweb.clubsnap.org
Introduction
This is my first micro four thirds camera and I will not do comparison review. I have a Canon DSLR system and I find the system is too heavy for family outdoor photography. So I decide to give a lighter weight, Olympus E-PL2 a test out and below is my reviews

Technical Specifications
Please refer to this link http://www.olympusimage.com.sg/products/dslr/epl2/spec/

My Overall Reviews
Pro
1. 12.3 megapixel capture very details quality esp.for a compact camera.
2. Built-in pop-up flash is to prevent shadow of the lens taken in wide angle pictures.
3. Art filters are fun to play with and also work in movie mode.
4. ISO now goes up to 6400 which is useful for extremely low lighting.
5. 22 scene-select modes allow effortless pictures taking.
6. In-body Image Stabiliztion system compensates for up to three shutter speed steps in the still shooting modes with any of its interchangeable lenses.
7. Grainy B&W mode from Art Filter gives very nice b&w grainy effect .
8. Dust reduction system assures spot-free images.
9. Good skin tone color for portrait pictures.
10. Metering is reliable and accurate.
11. Lighter weight compare to DSLR.

Con
1. RAW viewer software needs more improvement for preview custom WB of multiple selected pictures.
2. Unable to include nickname name into the EXIF data.
3. Focusing is slightly slower than my Cannon DSLR. This could be due using LCD focusing which takes up too much power from the battery.
4. Limit lens choices esp. fast prime lens.
5. Battery life is kind of disappointment. Recommend to bring a spare battery for outdoor photography.

Last edited:
Skin Tone
I love the skin tone color of the Olympus E-PL2.
skintone_std.jpg

Art Filter > Pin Hole Effect
Ha! No need photoshop to create this effect
pinhole_std.jpg

Art Filter > Pop Art
The color may look weird but sometimes look nice for creativity shots
popart_std.jpg

Art Filter > Dramatic Tone Effect
You can see more flower details (2nd shot) after apply this effect
dramatictone1_std.jpg
dramatictone_std.jpg

Art Filter > Grainy film
The grainy effect looks more like b/w film
grainyfilm2_std.jpg
grainyfilm1_std.jpg

Art Filter > Diorama
Miniature Effect looks like a toy
diorama_std.jpg

Conclusion
After used for 3 months, I like it very much esp. the quality, features and the light weight. I am still newbie for this system. I need to spend more time with it. My next focus will be into Macro insect photography as well as landscape panorama photography.

Hey! Long time no see! I also got myself into m43 (got a E-PL1) a few days ago! Yes, the Olympus colors are very pleasing...:)

I'm very new to this but was drawn to the M4/3 of EPL2. My colleague is recommending the Canon G12 instead. Considering the bulkiness and the sheer lack of knowledge (as well as lifespan of interest), could someone possibly guide me? My current objective is to capture moments presented in a more beautiful manner. Greatly appreciated for any guidance

go m4/3 ..... G12 while a good camera is a different category camera with fixed zoom and alot smaller sensor size ...... its already got its hands full holding its own already vs LX5 , ZX-1 and EX1

Thanks man. Anything i should be lookin out for while deciding on the purchase? Like where can i get a good deal as well as what lenses to purchase? Or is it like default package?