Field Test - Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FT3

ortega

Nov 2, 2004
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FT3
Ultimate Rugged Camera Featuring Full HD Movie Recording and Various Function for Outdoor Use
0168.jpg

Lets start with the main features that makes this camera special

• Waterproof 12m, Freeze-proof -10℃, Shockproof 2.0m and Dust-proof
  • 1920x1080 Full HD Movie in AVCHD Format and POWER O.I.S. with Active Mode
  • Built-in GPS Function for Quick and Easy Retrieval
  • Location Information Indicator with Altimeter, Compass, Barometer
  • 3D Photo Mode and iA Mode with POWER O.I.S. (Optical Image Stabilizer)
  • 28mm Wide-angle LEICA DC Lens and 12.1-megapixel Hi-speed CCD
yes it is waterproof, freeze-proof, shockproof and Dust-proof!
Is this a fun camera or what

Tough Design with Waterproof 12m, Freeze-proof -10℃, Shockproof 2.0m and Dust-proof Protection

The DMC-FT3 is designed for active use, that is waterproof to a depth of 12 meters, freeze-proof of down to -10℃, shockproof for falls from up to 2.0 meters, and dust-proof. In movie recording, the LED light turns on for beautiful movies in dusky underwater environments or at a nighttime camp.
1920x1080 Full HD Movie in AVCHD Format and POWER O.I.S. with Active Mode

The DMC-FT3 can record full HD 1920x1080 movies in AVCHD format with Dolby® Digital Creator. A dedicated button lets you instantly start recording movies without any having to make any extra settings. The iA Mode is available in movie recording. The POWER O.I.S. with Active Mode comes in handy when shooting while walking or playing with children. Both photos and movies in AVCHD format recorded on SD Memory Card are easy to view on a Panasonic VIERA TV.
Built-in GPS Function for Quick and Easy Retrieval

The DMC-FT3 features a built-in GPS unit. The location data where the photo was taken is embedded with its latitude and longitude is automatically in the EXIF data. These geo-tagged images can be pinpointed on the maps of social media internet maps. The DMC-FT3 also shows the name of the county, state, city, and landmarks using the internal data to give you real-time information of the place when taking photos. Images with the location names are automatically sorted in the virtual folder alphabetically in the camera allowing quick reach.
Location Information Indicator with Altimeter, Compass, Barometer

The DMC-FT3 adopts compass, altimeter and barometer to show and record altitude, barometric pressure and orientation data. The barometer also works for indicator for depth underwater. The rugged design, GPS and advanced measuring equipments offers a variety of fun in wide-ranging situations. Take out the camera to fishing or camping in the springtime, to diving, snorkeling, surfing in summer, or mountain climbing, to mountain climbing in autumn and to skiing or snowboarding in winter – The DMC-FT3 is an all-year-round active field player.
3D Photo Mode and iA Mode with POWER O.I.S. (Optical Image Stabilizer)

The 3D Photo Mode produces a 3D image in the camera. Take 20 panning shots and the camera automatically selects two most suitable images to synthesize a 3D composite. The 3D image can be viewed in 3D via the 3D Image Viewer of Panasonic VIERA TV offering you a whole new exciting experience. In iA Mode, the Motion Deblur Mode and POWER O.I.S. prevent blurring from both subject motion and hand-shake. Once youve selected the iA Mode, the detection and correction functions go to work to give you beautiful images with maximum ease.

Dimensions (W x H x D) 103.5 x 64.0 x 26.5 mm (4.07 x 2.52 x 1.04 in)
Weight Approx. 175g without Battery and SD Memory Card (0.386 lb) Approx. 197g with Battery and SD Memory Card (0.434 lb)
Camera Effective Pixels 12.1 Megapixels
Sensor Size / Total Pixels / Filter 1/2.33-inch CCD sensor / 12.5 Megapixels / Primary Color Filter
Aperture F3.3 - 5.9 / Iris Diaphragm (F3.3 - 10(W) / F5.9 - 18(T))
Optical Zoom 4.6x
Focal Length f=4.9-22.8mm (28-128mm in 35mm equiv.) (30-140mm in 35mm equiv. in movie recording)
Extra Optical Zoom (EZ) 5.7x (4:3 / 8M), 7.3x (4:3 / 5M), 9.1x (under 3M)
Intelligent Zoom 6x
Lens LEICA DC VARIO-ELMAR 10 elements in 8 groups (5 Aspherical Lenses / 6 Aspherical surfaces / 1 ED Lens)
Optical Image Stabilizer POWER O.I.S. (On / Off / Active Mode(only for motion picture))
Digital Zoom 4x ( Max. 18.4 x combined with Optical Zoom without Extra Optical Zoom ) (Max. 36.3 x combined with Extra Optical Zoom)
Focusing Area
Normal: Wide / Tele 30 cm - infinity
Macro / Intelligent AUTO/ movie recording: Wide 5 cm - infinity / Tele 30cm - infinity
Focus Range Display Yes
AF Assist Lamp Yes (LED lamp in motion picture mode)
Focus Normal / AF Macro, Zoom Macro, Quick AF, AF Tracking
Continuous AF (only for motion picture)
AF Metering Face / AF Tracking / 23pt / 1pt / Spot
Shutter Speed Still: 8 - 1/1300 sec
Starry Sky Mode : 15, 30, 60sec.
Shutter Interval approx. 0.3 sec

and finally @ ISO1600
P102004716002.jpg

P10200471600.jpg

what can i say, WOW technology has really improved tremendously
below is the lighting condition of the images above
P10200485.jpg

P1010151.jpg

P10100601.jpg

this is a P&S camera and was tested as one, most of the shots are shot using some kind of auto mode
a really fun rugged camera that goes where you go

Thanks this is very useful. Do you have samples of lowlight shots and flash performance?

Where did you buy your unit and how much?

Thanks!

smalltalker said:
Thanks this is very useful. Do you have samples of lowlight shots and flash performance?

Where did you buy your unit and how much?

Thanks!

Low light with flash, hmmm let me check

How much is this cam selling outside?