Field Test : Olympus XZ-1 by LOTUSfairy

LOTUSfairy

Oct 10, 2006
Serangoon
Here's my field test : all pics are downsized only.

As a photographer of the fairer gender, I am constantly seeking a compact camera that is capable of delivering near-DSLR results.
The Olympus XZ-1 was tested on three occasions, namely, landscape, macros and gatherings, bearing different demands on the camera.

One advantage of the XZ-1 is the instantaneous popping off of the lens cap once you switched on the camera. There is no fumbling meaning you can focus on shooting as soon as the camera is on. In terms of ergonomics, the XZ-1 is not ideal for single hand use as it has a smooth metallic surface. However it has a solid built and enjoys a great battery life with 350 shots (inclusive of light previewing of images).

The XZ -1's flash is intelligent enough to ensure that the subjects, i.e., both the cake and the birthday guy are well lit. This makes it an ideal party camera to lug around.

a-P1309860birthday-2.jpg

The advantage of having a very bright f1.8 lens is evident during a recent CNY dinner celebration, capturing the luo-hei moments.

a-P1310028yushang.jpg

Another thing I like is the accuracy of the auto WB settings. The XZ-1 is not fooled by the tungsten lighting and the ambient bleed is controlled when the flash is used.

a-P2120445meal.jpg

OUTDOOR SHOTS in the day/nite

Sunrise… Took a snapshot facing the sun trying to get the silo, the clouds and the deliberate flares…

a-P2130451sunrise.jpg

Frosty Glass Display

a-P1309908frosty-1.jpg

Pano Scene at Singapore Quarry.

a-P2130607pano.jpg

At night at Clarke Quay

a-P13099522cqpano.jpg

And with People

a-P2130446panonus.jpg

The XZ-1 delivers even when there is complicated lighting setups as shown by the night scenery images.

a-P1309948clarkdrama-1.jpg

a-P1309992pub.jpg

Slow Shutter - handheld

a-P2030243slowshutter-1.jpg

Art Filter – Dramatic
The art filters are great to use and you can deploy them according to your mood.

a-P2130466dramawall-1.jpg

a-P2130477dessertedplace.jpg

AFT FILTER – GRAINY
While great, the filters are not cure-all. For example, the grainy film effect evokes high contrast on an otherwise dull image, the user should be careful not to deploy it when the lighting conditions are already very contrasty. It’s a case of "too much of a good thing”.

a-P2130463grainy.jpg

a-P2130587bw-1.jpg

On Normal aperture Mode.
This dog is of a boring brown fur colour and it lies on the floor ie Black/grey. But the picture came out right..am pleased.

a-P2130554doggy.jpg

On FLOWERs.
Great Colours … this will appeal to the LADIES…*points at myself, me*

a-P2030282flower-1.jpg

a-P2030185redroses.jpg

a-P2030286yellowflowers1.jpg

Thank you. :angel:

Thanks for sharing. I have fun reading your field test. It is certainly one PnS with good auto WB especially with flash, as the pictures turn out looking natural.

Slow Shutter - handheld

a-P2030243slowshutter-1.jpg

NO WAY THIS IS HANDHELD!!!! :D

BTW, nice shots!

And the proof of the pudding of this camera is all in your low light shots. Liked the way your wrote it. :thumbsup:

NO WAY THIS IS HANDHELD!!!! :D

BTW, nice shots!

And the proof of the pudding of this camera is all in your low light shots. Liked the way your wrote it. :thumbsup:

thank you. :D

It was handheld..I leaned on some railings at the side, held my breath and pressed shutter :embrass:

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. I have fun reading your field test. It is certainly one PnS with good auto WB especially with flash, as the pictures turn out looking natural.

:D glad you like it.

hi wendy, thanks for the nice review. i'd like to ask, did you use pop art when you took a shot on the red and yellow flowers? i remember this when i still had my oly E-30, i find it a bit contrasty.

PS: in case you're wondering, i was one of the volunteers last time for nikon (SAM) assigned at registration booth ;)

hi wendy, thanks for the nice review. i'd like to ask, did you use pop art when you took a shot on the red and yellow flowers? i remember this when i still had my oly E-30, i find it a bit contrasty.

PS: in case you're wondering, i was one of the volunteers last time for nikon (SAM) assigned at registration booth ;)

Hi Ron1n, how's life been? Hope to see you again :D
I used the normal aperture mode on the red/yellow flowers. They were taken during the early morning hours at the Sentosa Flower Festival. Nope, no pop art... :p

I used the normal aperture mode on the red/yellow flowers. They were taken during the early morning hours at the Sentosa Flower Festival. Nope, no pop art... :p

Hi sis... Really long time no see u... Hope to have some wine with u... Hehe:confused:

I'm good! thanks for asking. Yeah hopefully on the next Nikon kopitiam session :)

When you become a reviewer? haha