Field Test - Magnetic Lens for handphone camera

ortega

Nov 2, 2004
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
IMG_00862.jpg

it is sort of like a conversion lens for handphone cameras and is mounted magnetically over the lens
I got one to extend the capability of what my iPhone can do.

as you can see, it is 0.67X wide angle and Macro conversion lens.

IMG_00905.jpg

it is made up of 2 lenses
together it is a WA lens and if you remove the WA part, it becomes a macro lens

IMG_00874.jpg

there is a magnet below the macro lens for mounting

IMG_00933.jpg

that is my iPhone 3GS, you need to stick a small metal ring over your lens
the ring has adhesive tape and is removable, in the package there are 2 rings provided, but if your handphone is made of metal and the lens can stick to it then you do not need to stick the metal ring.

IMG_00941.jpg

this is the lens mounted on the phone in WA mode

IMG_00955.jpg

unscrew the WA part away and it will become a macro lens

what can the lens do?

IMG_45373.jpg

this is the closest i can get with just my iPhone 3GS

get ready for this ....

IMG_4536.jpg

and this is the closest i can get with the macro lens

what do you think?
These are uncropped images from my iPhone 3GS

more macro images

IMG_4747.jpg

bubbles in my morning coffee

IMG_4744.jpg

a cube of sugar on the rim of the same coffee cup

IMG_45752.jpg

be aware that the lens to subject distance is around 15mm only

IMG_46751.jpg

now the WA lens, since the back of my iPhone 3GS is curved there is some vignetting at the bottom
i have also tested on a iPhone 4 and it was better, on a nokia phone it was not visible at all

this is a shot by my iPhone 3GS with no lens attachment
IMG_46391.jpg

and this is with the WA attachment, notice the vignetting at the bottom left hand corner
IMG_4638.jpg

there is also a fisheye and telephoto magnetic lens, but i don't really like them
this is the link to photojojo's page for these lenses

important to read the FAQ

Q: Will these lenses fit on my phone?

A: Sure! These lenses really work with most phones. If the area around your camera lens is relatively flat, and you can stick the little metal ring to it, our new camera phone lenses will work on your phone, no problem!

Q: What about my super flashtastic iPhone 4?

A: Well, we tested the lens on an iPhone 4 and it works fine but not perfectly. The ring fits the phone, but it does cover the flash, and because of that super slick glass the stickiness of the ring isn't so super.

For best results on the iPhone 4, we recommend you use a case that covers the back of your phone, and stick the ring to the case. In addition, many of our customers have cut a notch in their ring with household scissors to expose the flash. A few minor hacks.

Q: What about my iPhone 3G/S? The back is kind of curved - will the lenses still work?

A: The lenses will work with the iPhone 3G/S - again not perfectly. The curve of the phone will cause the edge of the fisheye and wide angle lens to be seen in your photos. The macro lens won't have this issue. You can easily crop the edge of the lens out of your photos with your favorite photo-editing program! Photoshop app, ftw.

Q: Can I use these lenses with a case on my phone?

A: You totally can! As long as the case is tight against the phone it should be fine. Thicker cases may cause slight light leaks but it'll still work!

Q: What is the size of that little ring?

A: The diameters of the ring are 13.06mm (outer) and 9.38mm (inner). If your phone's lens has a smaller diameter, it'll work great!

Q: Whats with that big black circle around the Telephoto and Fisheye shots?

A: Since these lenses are actually adapters you'll see part of the lens (or vignetting) around your photos. Nothing a bit of cropping can't fix! Plus, we think it looks kinda cool and secret agent-y.

i'm actually quite surprised with the macro... and impressed with the 10 cent coin

(Mod mode off)

Ortega your poison is damm deadly !!! I am SOLD ...... I understand its about US$50 for all 3 wide/macro, tele and fisheye ..... does that include shipping ? where do I pay ???

Otherwise..... is this available locally at SLS or Funan ?

(Mod mode back On)

ed9119 said:
(Mod mode off)

Ortega your poison is damm deadly !!! I am SOLD ...... I understand its about US$50 for all 3 wide/macro, tele and fisheye ..... does that include shipping ? where do I pay ???

Otherwise..... is this available locally at SLS or Funan ?

(Mod mode back On)

Hahaha, I can only help you with the wide angle cum macro lens and fisheye. Without shipping cost. Telephoto lens I don't have lobang. Sls/funan don't have.

Last edited:
I'd be interested in getting the macro now haha

Photojojo? All their items are poisonous. :sweatsm: did you buy the iPhone lens mount as well? :bsmilie:

bonrya said:
Photojojo? All their items are poisonous. :sweatsm: did you buy the iPhone lens mount as well? :bsmilie:

I have found a way to get it at a cheaper price, waiting for it to arrive in spore

Can pm me where to get this lens? Thank u

Wow, it looks rather cool, I would like to buy one for my handphone, and I want to know if this type of Lens have a high price in general?

And would it be compatible with my GPhone?;)

The outer diameter of the metal ring is 13mm and the inner diameter is 9.5mm. This ring is the metal lens mount that the magnet on the lens is attracted to. If your phone case is already metal and magnets can stick to it, then you do not need to stick the metal ring.

Bro Ortega u got pm