Fibre Optic Point Within Homes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rafael

Deregistered
Jul 5, 2007
Has anyone accept the offer to install fibre optic points in your home by OpenNet?

They have offered for the 1st 15 metres free installation.

These fibre optic can go 1Gbps and beyond.

how they charge beyond 15 metres. by points? how much? they are starting such installation in my block now.

Did it 2 weeks ago @ my residence in Hougang Ave 6.. I think mine is less than 3m, took around 2 hours to do drilling and cable laying..

how they charge beyond 15 metres. by points? how much? they are starting such installation in my block now.

if u give the installer some hongbao money, you can easily ask him to give you the additional meters free as most household will just terminate the point at only the 1st 5 meters from the doorstep...so they usually have more than enough cables.

depends on how recently you did the renovation for your house. Didn't want the drilling to make the area too dirty. Furthermore, they only provide the kind where it's a "cover", not concealed in the wall, so if from your front door to the living room / room is far, not very nice!

I had them end it at the door, next time when the time comes again, and I decide proper which room I want my new router at which can use the 1gbps speed, then I'll extend it myself.

I don't see a point actually... how often will we even get to 1/100th of the speed? Even now on a 5mb, I don't even hit 1/10th of it.

in singapore oni will hit 1Gbps....connect to US server....much much slower.

Actually I'm just curios but will OpenNet connections be link to the pre-existing StarHub owned fiber optics network or will it be an entirely dedicated and separate infrastructure?

As I had remembered StarHub actually spent years to expand the network by installing the otical fiber cables island wide (some would remember the numerous roadside excavation) after it acquired Singapore Cable Vision (SCV).

Last edited:
Actually I'm just curios but will OpenNet connections be link to the pre-existing StarHub owned fiber optics network or will it be an entirely dedicated and separate infrastructure?

As I had remembered StarHub actually spent years to expand the network by installing the otical fiber cables island wide (some would remember the numerous roadside excavation) after it acquired Singapore Cable Vision (SCV).
NVM, just found out that StarHub is responsible for the operation of the Next Generation Nationwide Broadband Network (Next Gen NBN).

So from my understanding, basically StarHub owned Nucleus Connect will be handling the "active" infrastructure aspect whereas OpenNet consortium will be handling the "passive" infrastructure aspect of the Next Generation Nationwide Broadband Network (Next Gen NBN) instead, whatever that means anyway? :think:

Last edited:
NVM, just found out that StarHub is responsible for the operation of the Next Generation Nationwide Broadband Network (Next Gen NBN).

So from my understanding, basically StarHub owned Nucleus Connect will be handling the "active" infrastructure aspect whereas OpenNet consortium will be handling the "passive" infrastructure aspect of the Next Generation Nationwide Broadband Network (Next Gen NBN) instead, whatever that means anyway? :think:
ICT Regulation Toolkit,
6.1.1 Passive and Active Infrastructure. :)

does anyone know if I can buy the optic cable and run it myself as I am doing renovation currently.

I am scheduled sometime end of the year.... They ask me to run a PIPE with a drawstring. I thought I might as well run the optic cable as it is cheaper for me.

does anyone know if I can buy the optic cable and run it myself as I am doing renovation currently.

I am scheduled sometime end of the year.... They ask me to run a PIPE with a drawstring. I thought I might as well run the optic cable as it is cheaper for me.

If you got the equipment & tools to terminate the fibre points, please lend me ... if you have it, that is.

Yes, you can buy from network cabling shops in Funan (e.g Fast Cable) but you must know the type of head the ISP is using so that you can use a coupler to join. Coupler may not be accurate even if misaligned. Also the diameter of the fiber core (the tiny transparent thread) must be known. And fiber will break when bend certain stress angle or run over by heavy stuffs, so conduit the way properly.

Special tools must be use to cut and polish fiber ends, so it is not something a clamp can do like copper.

Last edited:

$33/5metres

depends on how recently you did the renovation for your house. Didn't want the drilling to make the area too dirty. Furthermore, they only provide the kind where it's a "cover", not concealed in the wall, so if from your front door to the living room / room is far, not very nice!

I had them end it at the door, next time when the time comes again, and I decide proper which room I want my new router at which can use the 1gbps speed, then I'll extend it myself.

i don't think you can conceal any kind of wires in the wall except those that came default concealed.

all other trunking has to be outside.

i don't think you can conceal any kind of wires in the wall except those that came default concealed.

all other trunking has to be outside.

The problem with all these concealed services is that they run all over the shop. So, it is best to do it when you renovate the entire place. If not, just have to run on the surface and try your best to conceal them with some furniture or run them discretely like in a light holder/cornice.

Status
Not open for further replies.