Fibre broadband - which to go for?

ndroo

Staff member
Nov 22, 2003
www.fuzzyeyeballs.com
www.fuzzyeyeballs.com
Finally time to say goodbye to Pacnet (yeah ... I'm a dino still using that :bsmilie:) after my OpenNet gets installed tomorrow.

Next comes the question ... which to go for? Singtel? Starhub? M1?

M1 seems to have a cheaper plan though.

Any recommendation? I am only using it for internet access.

Last edited:
You can try going down to IDA IExpereince at Esplanade Xchange as there are M1 and SH booths promoting their fibre broadband plans.

I took the M1 promotion last month at the IDA IExperience, waiver of ONT installation and 6 months free.

http://xtemujin.wordpress.com/2011/04/27/singapores-next-generation-broadband-network/

HTH.

Thanks for the info. Checked out your blog. Hmm ... now I've gotta make sure the OpenNet guys test it to make sure it is working ... instead of having them come a 2nd time? Did they perform the testing when they first installed it for you?

The problem here is that one OpenNet team will lay the cable and the other will do the testing.

There is no black and white printout that the TP is good to go.

You can google "OpenNet fined over dud cables".

The Nucleus Connect team is another hurdle.

The best advice I would give is to checkout the HWZ link.

Cheers.

Last edited:
ndroo - still pretty expensive leh the plans... i think there shld be some IT show coming up in jun? why not wait a bit more to see if there are some offers?

The problem here is that one OpenNet team will lay the cable and the other will do the testing.

Cheers.

Thank you.

Cheers.
How's the performance of the connection when you're accessing or downloading to/from international sites?

xtemujin said:

Cheers.

Oh they do have a guy with device to test inside n outside the hse now. The guy said cfm working. In the past they tested outside only.

1305505213.png

How's the performance of the connection when you're accessing or downloading to/from international sites?

The OpenNet Bangladeshi worker did the fibre optics test inside my home and said that everything was ok verbally. No black and white, they can say anything.

The Nucleus Connect (NC) Bangladeshi worker came with the Huawei ONT with no instruction manual and many thought that it also acts as a router. He tested my TP and then said that there was no signal and that he will come back later after OpenNet has rectified the TP. I waited till 1700 hours on that day for that NC guy to come back again to install the ONT.

I called the M1 customer service and they arranged for another day for NC to reinstall the ONT. A day wasted just to install the ONT.

HTH.

Oh they do have a guy with device to test inside n outside the hse now. The guy said cfm working. In the past they tested outside only.

Last edited:
The OpenNet Bangladeshi worker did the test inside my home and said everything is ok verbally. No black and white, they can say anything.

The Nucleus Connect (NC) Bangladeshi worker came with the Huawei ONT with no instruction manual and many thought that it also acts as a router. Tested my TP then said he will come back later after OpenNet has tested the link. I waited till 1700 hours on that for the NC guy.

Called the M1 CSO and they arranged for another day for NC to reinstall the ONT.

OMG! The guy just showed me the red light that's coming from the cables then some device showed some readings. Hope all is well. Ermm ... I'm a little blur about these. So apart from the ONT ... what else do we need? A router?

Terminal Point (TP) -> Optical Network Terminal (ONT) -> Residential Gateway (RC)/ Router -> Computer.

ONT only Port 1 for connection to computer.

RC - Router with voice calling from the telco, have to pay a monthly fee.

Router - Use your own router to connect your computer, NAS.

You can visit the iDA IExperience to see the connection.

Cheers.

I have been using the Starhub's Fat Green Pipe for more than 10years without problem. And using the package with the free maxmobile. That maxmobile is pretty useful when you need it just for a short while.

There will be surely lots and lots of great offer in the next IT show with free notebook or ipad or whatever pads la.

Just wonder how reliable is this new fibre thing. My current contract with SH has got a year or so. By then, hopefully, there could be some very attractive price plans.

Terminal Point (TP) -> Optical Network Terminal (ONT) -> Residential Gateway (RC)/ Router -> Computer.

ONT only Port 1 for connection to computer.

RC - Router with voice calling from the telco, have to pay a monthly fee.

Router - Use your own router to connect your computer, NAS.

You can visit the iDA IExperience to see the connection.

Cheers.

Thanks for the info. Went there just now, signed up with M1. Have to get my own router though. Didn't want the voice line. :D

La Fontaine,

Just stay with SH.

horizon_grazer,

Malaysia server from Speedtest.

ndroo,

The waiver of ONT fee and 6 months free still available from M1 ?

Last edited:
On Singnet Optic fiber now....no choice....already on ESPN sports....so might as well take up the Mio plan :sweat: The best thing is first PC cable point is free...so made them lay one cable from my Living room TV all the way to my Master bed room....better than running homeplug or Wifi :lovegrin: Speed is definately faster....and uploading files really Woohoo :thumbsup: