Fiber or Resin?

• Thread starter alexellinghausen
  • Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

alexellinghausen

Hi, i'm trying to put my portfolio together but can't decide what paper to use, does anyone have any recommendations? this is for black & white developing and 8x10 prints.

I initially used Fiber Based Glossy Ilford paper, but I didn't really like it because it doesn't seem to have that professional look. I then switched to Fiber Based Matt Ilford paper, but again I'm not so satisfied as I feel that i lose a lot of detail in the prints as the shots don't seem as sharp.

I then thought of getting the Ilford Warmtone paper, but then it was only available in 12x16 size at ruby, but has anyone used this paper before?

So today, i bought a pack of Fiber Based Agfa Matt paper to try out.

but does anyone here have any recommendation for type of paper to use for professional portfolio? Plus, if anyone here has used both Fiber Paper and Resin Paper, tell which one they prefer, what were the main differences, etc..

also, does the Ilford resin paper turn yellowish after a while?

thanks a lot

Due to their texture,FB matt paper will never be as sharp as RC papers. ilford FB papers will be a little off white while the RC will be pure white.when we do exibition, we always use FB papers.you mention about papers turning yellow, is it patches?remember to wash it throughtly after the fixer part.Btw, Agfa FB seems to be slightly warm tone.you should go and view the samples at ruby photo 1st.ilford RG Pearl is good for portriats shots.personally i like to use FB papers.

alright, thanks for the tip

I remember you need to wash for about 1/2 hour if using fibre paper.... actually, you can try other things.. like maybe laser print ?

I use laser print for my portfolio.

and anyway, I think the image matter most, I remember reading Michael Ackerman posted zeroxed copies images when he got his publisher :)

laser print? isn't that expensive if you want to print out your own 8x10s? unless you have one of those high-end printers that is...

thanks anyway, but i think i'll stick to doing it the old-fashioned way since i've got all the materials already to work with, just gotta buy the right kind of paper.

i agree with andylee about the pearl paper, had a look at it the last time I went to Ruby, looks pretty good, considering the bulk of my portfolio is portrait shots.

I send it out for printing... so I don't have to bare the cost of buying a printer :) hehehe, and A4 cost about $1.20 to $2 depending on how many copies you want.

anyway, I still think nothing beats a fibre print... cost vs performance I guess heheheh

actually, $1.20 is not so bad...i've got some shots taken with the D30 that I would like to include with my other photographs...where do u print for $1.20? how are the colours like?

Status
Not open for further replies.