FF vs Crop body for wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well i was using 40D and tokina 12-24mm so i dun need to move back to take group photos. He is a friend of the groom and is the owner of a renown camera shop in kallang... And he was also the driver on that day for the couple. So while we were riding to the next location and he told me i should use FF cameras coz pro photographer never use crop body for wedding. There were also other bad comments he mentioned about Olympus and Sony... dun wish to elaborate those issue. So i just keep quiet and listen lor... At the back of my heart, i ponder could he be right as he is some owner of a camera store...

Nevertheless, i will maintain what i used, my 40D from now on.;)
Now that clears things up, he just want you to buy cameras from his shop so that he can earn your money. Dun fall for it!

What a way to cho-cho business. :p

Well i was using 40D and tokina 12-24mm so i dun need to move back to take group photos. He is a friend of the groom and is the owner of a renown camera shop in kallang... And he was also the driver on that day for the couple. So while we were riding to the next location and he told me i should use FF cameras coz pro photographer never use crop body for wedding. There were also other bad comments he mentioned about Olympus and Sony... dun wish to elaborate those issue. So i just keep quiet and listen lor... At the back of my heart, i ponder could he be right as he is some owner of a camera store...

OK. Now everything becomes very clear.
I finally understand where he comes from.

Right on Bro :thumbsup:

As the saying goes "Cameras don't take great photos...people take great photos."

holy crap....

Bro...the reason why we carry 2 cameras is because we do not want to change lens during a shoot otherwise the fleeting moment may be gone. I sometimes use a D700 for low light shot with a prime lens and sometimes use a D60 to take quickie shots with a long lens.

There is no hard and fast rules that you must use a FF body to do wedding shoot. The illusion only looks more pro so you get the "respect" from clients who know nuts. Actually, using a pns camera will also produce the same result if you know the technique well enough. No Pros would want to use pns for wedding shoot cos people who nuts about cameras will laugh.

Continue to use 40D. It is a good camera and there's no substitute for the experience that you already have.

sorry i hate to disagree but show me works with any point and shoot, film, digital and rival my wedding photographs. We still need decent gear to work, heartware is important but certain hardware is still needed.

I will use point and shoot when its good enough, im not afraid of been laugh because money in the pocket is the most important.

Also if someone tells you that you are not pro enough, Im sure you are big enough to tell him or her off. I never get bugged like this type of stuff, isn't it too trivial?

sorry i hate to disagree but show me works with any point and shoot, film, digital and rival my wedding photographs. We still need decent gear to work, heartware is important but certain hardware is still needed.

I will use point and shoot when its good enough, im not afraid of been laugh because money in the pocket is the most important.

Also if someone tells you that you are not pro enough, Im sure you are big enough to tell him or her off. I never get bugged like this type of stuff, isn't it too trivial?

I always like your pics. It is somewhat different and refreshing. BTW, if we kerna talk down by camera shop owner, then how? We keep quiet and listen or we argue back. Please advise.

If you can really cover a wedding with a pns only... then why worry about people laughing? :)

Agree. I've got a friend who won photo competitions just by using a simple PnS and this who used expensive equipment got nothing.

So ultimately it's the results that matters as no one would bother what equipment u're using.

I always like your pics. It is somewhat different and refreshing. BTW, if we kerna talk down by camera shop owner, then how? We keep quiet and listen or we argue back. Please advise.

I always avoid any kind of camera talk, to both wedding guests and others but if there is someone to put down my gear no worries I'm happy for the next person.

If there is a big hole aka Ta Kang slamming your gear, just use other means to put him down, eg: I will not be so stupid like yourself to buy $4000 camera, I prefer to spend it on my $40,000 Lange watch sitting on my wrist or car,stock or condo (whatever you have on your means or just fake it).

There are also wedding guests that make you feel weird when they start to compare that their gear is not as good as yours. For male guests I just politely say, its all company equipment,female guests I always say "My wife will not be happy if you start Flirting with me, she buys all my gear":bsmilie:

Last edited:
Hi bros,

was shooting a wedding sometime back and was approached by someone, this guy saw me using 2 x 40D for wedding shoot and he straight away told me a real photographer never use a crop body for photo shoot. :confused:

Like to hear some view from bros here and i know some of you here are pros, so is it a must to have FF body in order to do wedding shoot?

regards

Many a times full-frame is merely a shield against words in this line. There are many, many "groom's friend" who bring big powerful D-SLRs and hopefuly undermine the main photographer.

Full-frame is a choice, sometimes an advantage and sometimes a disadvantage.

Bro fooj, you are a very real and very professional photographer, i can vouch for it.

Forget what he said. ;)

The read is refreshing. To summarise, unless you are a pixel-peeper, or you are gonna make large prints(like A2 or bigger, he used 1.1m prints as comparison), cropped and full-frame are quite similar. Focus on techniques rather than technicals. :)

The read is refreshing. To summarise, unless you are a pixel-peeper, or you are gonna make large prints(like A2 or bigger, he used 1.1m prints as comparison), cropped and full-frame are quite similar. Focus on techniques rather than technicals. :)

I wonder how often the couple print A2 size for their AD table shots? :bsmilie:

Remember in film days, no one pixel-peep their shots thru the glass. Switching to digital all of the sudden people start zooming into every pixel. :sweat:

So while we were riding to the next location and he told me i should use FF cameras coz pro photographer never use crop body for wedding.

Maybe you should conduct a poll on which camera wedding photographers mainly use.

Good for your :thumbsup:

Haha... no wonder. Then again, owning a camera shop doesn't make you a photographer. It makes you a camera owner at best. Maybe he doesn't even have a personal camera.

I have seen salesmen at camera shops demonstrating the advantages of IS in the following manner...
Vigorously shaking the camera up and down and pressing the shutter halfway through the shaking, then showing the customer the output on the small LCD.

As long use the proper lenses to compensate for the lack of FF, shouldnt be an issue.

For example, the canon 24-70L.....can anyone argue with using Tamron 17-50 to get the same focal range on a crop body?

most people in the camera line specifically weddings and fashion must have heard of the Tamron 17-50 by now.

I have seen salesmen at camera shops demonstrating the advantages of IS in the following manner...
Vigorously shaking the camera up and down and pressing the shutter halfway through the shaking, then showing the customer the output on the small LCD.

I have seen a salesman take one shot tried to show the customer the marvelous of IS by just taking a picture with flash. The customer was WOW, and was praising that the picture was sharp... :bsmilie:

I was thinking to myself, should I tell the customer that anything shot with such close distance with flash would no doubt be sharp regardless if the camera have IS or not :sweat:

I was hoping that the person who commented u did read up this thread, and hopefully he's ashamed of what he had said... great portfolio, keep it up

Status
Not open for further replies.