FF lenses on Crop Bodies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reportage

Nov 24, 2008
Is there any database that contains how FF lenses perform on crop bodies?

I have heard that there are FF lenses that are hit and miss on crop cameras but gems when used on FF bodies.

www.photozone.de - lens tests are done on crop body (Canon: 350D) and on FF body. Just select on left menu.

huh?
Actually FF lens have better sharpness, less corner vignetting on crop body, because of using the sharpest centre area of the lens, that is if both have the same pixel density of the crop and FF sensor.

Some FF lens are design for FF film, so the image quality doesn't turn out well on crop sensor due to sensor's reflective nature. But the same would happen on FF sensor also.

But some focal lens would render it not so useful once it's on crop body as it's no longer as wide, e.g. 28mm become 28x1.5 = 42mm on crop body.

Last edited:
huh?
Actually FF lens have better sharpness, less corner vignetting on crop body, because of using the sharpest centre area of the lens, that is if both have the same pixel density of the crop and FF sensor.

Some FF lens are design for FF film, so the image quality doesn't turn out well on crop sensor due to sensor's reflective nature. But the same would happen on FF sensor also.

But some focal lens would render it not so useful once it's on crop body as it's no longer as wide, e.g. 28mm become 28x1.5 = 42mm on crop body.

This perspective probably holds true for crop bodies with lower megapixels, but with current crop bodies megapixels in the 15-17MP region, the extremely high resolution requirements placed on the centre area of the lens results in less than desirable results on some lens, which may perform well on a full frame camera. The less corner vignette will still be correct for full frame lens on crop cameras.

Quite a number of my lens are sharper on my 5D2 compared to the 7D in terms of fine texture detail. EFS / APS-C crop lens definitely works better on my 7D.

Quite a number of my lens are sharper on my 5D2 compared to the 7D in terms of fine texture detail. EFS / APS-C crop lens definitely works better on my 7D.

Interesting. What are these lenses?

EFS has to be better on crop as they don't really do FF.

I've come across an article saying that crop sensor is actually more sensative to glass imperfection due to its much smaller pixel sensor. FF sensor is more forgiving.

Two lenses I know of are 24-70mm f2.8L and the 24-105mm f4L

Status
Not open for further replies.