FF Lense on a DX Body?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lites

Nov 2, 2008
I am a newbie. Perhaps you can enlighten me. Will there be issues i need to be aware of in using a FF (FX) lense on a DX body. I have a D80. And thinking of investing on FX lenses. Thanks in advance for your helpful comments.:)

I am a newbie. Perhaps you can enlighten me. Will there be issues i need to be aware of in using a FF (FX) lense on a DX body. I have a D80. And thinking of investing on FX lenses. Thanks in advance for your helpful comments.:)

No issues. It will be compatible and usable. Before the introduction of FX, Nikon DX cameras were already working happily with the FX lenses too.

I am a D80 user too and I have a number of FX lenses too.

Ryan

FX and DX lens, what is the different?

pls enlightment me pls:cry:

Here is a short writeup about DX/FX lenses by KRW

DX lenses are in general cheaper than their FX counterparts, and currently providing
wider options for the DX sensor compared to FX offerings.

Ryan

FX and DX lens, what is the different?

pls enlightment me pls:cry:

Simply put, DX lenses are made for smaller image circle and they are smaller and lighter than the FX ones.. they are also cheaper due to a smaller size of lens used.

Physically they are labeled DX.

As to knowing whether one is speaking about DX or FX, it comes with lots of reading about them :D

Ryan

so how do i know when is the lens FX format or DX format?? so basically there is no way to know? unless u know them by 'nature'?:dunno:

Physically they are labeled DX.

As to knowing whether one is speaking about DX or FX, it comes with lots of reading about them :D

Ryan

To illustrate the point :

Here are some DX lenses with the DX label

pic_003.jpg

pic_001.jpg

pic_001.jpg

( pics from imaging.nikon.com )

Ryan

so only those that state DX lens are DX lens those that does ont state, are not? so Nikon 70-210mm f/4-5.6 AF-D is not a DX lens am i right to say that?<--- correct me if i am wrong

Nikon 70-210 f4 -5.6 is an FX lens.

ok good.. thanks ppl..^^ now i know that lens with words written DX are DX lens those without, are FX lens<--summary of what i have learn!thanks~!!:D

ok good.. thanks ppl..^^ now i know that lens with words written DX are DX lens those without, are FX lens<--summary of what i have learn!thanks~!!:D

oh yea, fyi , FX lenses are also known as Full-frame lenses :)

Useful to know that, if you're googling a lens name to find out abt it

In fact, the "FX" term only came out with the introduction of full-frame DSLR, the D3.

In the film days, all lenses are full-frame, ie "FX".

In fact, the "FX" term only came out with the introduction of full-frame DSLR, the D3.

In the film days, all lenses are full-frame, ie "FX".

wa.. this 1 i donno.. haha intresting..so D3 is the only full frame in Nikon DSLR ar?wa.. cool man!! so DX lens are created only during this few years??

And if u r interested, Kodak made Nikon mount full frame digital SLRs some yrs back, such as their last in the line 14 MP SLR/n in 2004

Ryan

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.