Feel cheated also...

Status
Not open for further replies.

paesyl

Aug 3, 2007
Recently brought a mid range tripod... Ask about the specification and load capacity the seller say he try to mount his 400D with grip, flash and 200mm lens no problem so i committed to buy by trusting him that he try to mount his equipment also ( thought he would risk his DSLR).

Brought and use at home, the tripod toppled to the front and bang on my window, to later to hold on to the tripod cause i was doing nite shot with control. My filter crack... dun know should i go calibrate my lens:dunno:

I call the guy but he said he try liao no problem.

He said he also try to get rid of the tripod so DO NOT WISH TO TAKE BACK the tripod.:angry:

What should i do then...:confused:

first a mid range tripod is of what material and spec...

what brand and load it can carry...cause 400D is super light...and how did u use your tripod you did not say...

28-105mm. He said he mounted 200mm ok can leh

nikon tripod. made of Al. I first set up to max ht lor...fully extended.

nikon tripod. made of Al. I first set up to max ht lor...fully extended.

something is wrong...wat did u mount on the tripod...that tripod is very solid...

Recently brought a mid range tripod... Ask about the specification and load capacity the seller say he try to mount his 400D with grip, flash and 200mm lens no problem so i committed to buy by trusting him that he try to mount his equipment also ( thought he would risk his DSLR).

Brought and use at home, the tripod toppled to the front and bang on my window, to later to hold on to the tripod cause i was doing nite shot with control. My filter crack... dun know should i go calibrate my lens:dunno:

He said he also try to get rid of the tripod so DO NOT WISH TO TAKE BACK the tripod.:angry:

Just forget about pursuing the matter and treat this as a bad experience as this is not the first incident happened here or in other forums.

Unless you know the seller well enough otherwise just save enough to get a brand new tripod (with warranty) and avoid all the hassles if there is no compelling reason to get one immediately. :)

Just bring your camera body and lenses to the agent for a check if you have doubts that the camera n lens are not at it original state.

350d, batt grip, flash, 28-105mm thats all.

You also using this tripod?

on theory any item set on a tripod should not topple easily unless tripped/knock/wind blow..:think:

maybe just my luck...with check the lens and camera.

i also wish to know what happened...but next time will use this tripod with my hands on all the time.

on theory any item set on a tripod should not topple easily unless tripped/knock/wind blow..:think:

Or any one of the section is not locked properly. Tripods dun usually topple over cos the load is too heavy, unless the centre of gravity is beyond the leg floor area. Usually the head will just creep if it's too heavy.

i also wish to know what happened...but next time will use this tripod with my hands on all the time.

usually when i deploy tripod..i will make sure the legs are fully spread..and the lens will always try to point towards the direction of one of the legs..with 1 leg pointing the front u reduce the chance of tripod falling to the front, if it falls back at least u r there to support..

:) Next time buy a more durable, sturdier tripod. You can get a very cheap second-hand one at Pearl Center. Pick up the tripod, shake it, listen for rattling noises, extend the legs fully, check the balancing, check for smooth retraction and extension of the legs, check the locks at the legs, check the head, check the mount, also make sure that all the allan keys for the screws are there. Some second-hand tripods may look old, but they are still very usable because they are better made and are tough, heavy, and strong.

You should always have one leg pointing in the direction of the lens. Did you extend the tripod all the way? It's not about the load but the balance of your equipment. If you don't understand this point, even the best Gitzo will also topple. :sweat:

Brought and use at home, the tripod toppled to the front and bang on my window ...

What should i do then

Learn from it.

If the tripod topples, it has nothing to do with the inherent stability or load capacity of the tripod, but with the location of the center of gravity vs. the support footprint of the tripod. The best tripod in the world is still subject to the basic laws of nature.

You can then proceed to either change the footprint (change the orientation/spread of the legs), or change the center of gravity (move mounting point of the camera, add additional weight to the tripod). If you can, use a tripod collar on the lens, not the camera's tripod mount.

For stationary tripods, you can also bolt the legs to the floor.

To get a feeling for the stability of the arrangement, you can try to topple it by hand first and only let it go if it appears stable enough. If the problem was the load capacity of the tripod, it would have collapsed, not toppled.

sumatran aftershock ;)

I agree that weight rating has nothing to do with the tripod toppling, unless it is due to the slipping of any of the locking mechanism.

BC

Status
Not open for further replies.