Feedback & Suggestions for Ganbatte Japan (Aftermath of 26/03 & 27/03)

Status
Not open for further replies.
:)
I don't think kriegsketten meant to have XMM like a 'cheap trick' to lure donations, but thinking more along the lines that a female is usually (and I'm sorry for this stereotype) seen as more approachable compared with a camera-wielding dude :)
Just meant to soften the heart a bit and make people more willing to part with their money.

Yup, you've read my intentions clearly... There's a thing about GWC stigma that can't be wiped clean, no matter how hard we try... :bsmilie:

can't volunteer due to my erratic work hours, but thumbs-up for those who volunteered!
captured on my way home from work

DSC00015.JPG

ganbette-ne!

Photos for Pacific Plaza (DAY 2) is sorely lacking! I know I alone have shot more than 100 photos, nevermind adding everyone elses! :cry: :bsmilie: Ganbatte-ne!!!

Dear All

Apologies but the photos for Day 2 Pacific Plaza are in another laptop that I can only have access tommorrow. Will upload them by tomorrow evening. I will place a notification on the Facebook page to clear doubts

I have written to 501st Garrison (the Stormtroopers site) to formally request for deployment. If any members know the team at 501st, please help Clubsnap inform them of our requests.

cheers

Haha, it was never intended to say using XMM as cheap tricks. All I'm saying is that, we need to be sensitive!

I'm more inclined to use photos to "sell" and break people's hearts. Anyway, its just my 2cts worth. :)

Dear All

Apologies but the photos for Day 2 Pacific Plaza are in another laptop that I can only have access tommorrow. Will upload them by tomorrow evening. I will place a notification on the Facebook page to clear doubts

I have written to 501st Garrison (the Stormtroopers site) to formally request for deployment. If any members know the team at 501st, please help Clubsnap inform them of our requests.

cheers

Ok!! No problemo!! Thanks for the info! :)

Sebastian

Can you check the laptop has those photos which were printed out for yesterday? I didn't manage to upload them yesterday.

Yes will get pets and cosplay(if possible) and I will dig up an offer by one of the shoot organiser and see if we can get their help thanks

How about pet this size at one of the booth? :)

I have 3 ... they sure do attract curious onlookers as well as animal lovers.

2329601574_e98000f4fd.jpg

Last edited:
From what I see on days 1 and 2, here are some observations:

1. Many people are very wary of any offers to take their photo because they think we will ask them to pay something. So some folks will even avoid having their pictures taken. Maybe we can have a sign or banner up to explain the purpose of the photos, something like "show moral support to the people in japan! Have you picture taken!"

2. ZCA brought up a good point that it will help to look More "legit". The logo of mercy relief is very small on the tins. We found ourselves answering question after question on discerning donors. A sign or banner each team location will be good. If we need banner stands, I am willing to sponsor them since my family wholesales banner stands. Any need for gaffer tapes or masking tapes or double sided tapes I can sponsor as well since we distribute the stuff. Just let me know.

3. The other problem is most of the volunteers are dudes like us. Some of us look very intimidating (especially a big bugger like myself) with our even bigger gear. We need more female volunteers!! Come and help out!

4. Another suggestion for bros and siss on the field is to start passing your cf or sd cards to the stations to get them copied earlier as the crowds die down near the end of the shift. It will greatly help the folks at the laptops instead of the great rush at the end of the shift. For those of us with multiple cards or slots, it will be great to use another card once you got all the pics copied over, to avoid double copies and all.

Last edited:
can't volunteer due to my erratic work hours, but thumbs-up for those who volunteered!
captured on my way home from work

DSC00015.JPG

ganbette-ne!

hahah
thank for the pic (that is me)

3. The other problem is most of the volunteers are dudes like us. Some of us look very intimidating (especially a big bugger like myself) with our even bigger gear. We need more female volunteers!! Come and help out!

Oh come on, that is so not fair.

I shall share what Chuakel replied when I commented that he is good with strangers and always smiling regardless of the response from the public.

"No lah... Seb, I am able to do it because I believe in what I am doing."

My eyes felt wet when I heard those words. Well said, Chuakel!

I do agree that some guys do look intimidating. But deep down inside, all of us are there because we believe. We believe we can help and make a difference. One can hide feelings but these are dire times. Thus passion to help cannot and should not be held back and controlled.

p.s. Daredevil123, I have seen you sign while holding the Ganbatte Signs, you are a charmer. So have some confidence and quit being modest!

Frankly, I feel we don't need to 'recruit' XMM and lady-models ... we have female photographers in CS and we have lady-friends who are willing to help; shall we enlist their help instead? I guess the suggestion meant well but I'm weary of the unintended messages being sent out because of these ...

Besides, after spending the weekend with the volunteers whom I hardly know prior to this event, I must say they are all very charming and enthusiastic people!

Last edited:
I think kriegster's 'XMM' comment has been misinterpreted.

We had a chat about this on Sunday as well, and I believe that what he meant was to encourage more female CSers to participate in this and approach the public. In no way did he mean to refer to the 'XMM' that is generally often seen in the Portraits & Poses section :)

We had a very enthusiastic lady photographer at Pacific Plaza on Sunday afternoon (sorry I didn't introduce myself), and I must say she helped A LOT to get the donations continuously coming in :thumbsup:

I think kriegster's 'XMM' comment has been misinterpreted.

We had a chat about this on Sunday as well, and I believe that what he meant was to encourage more female CSers to participate in this and approach the public. In no way did he mean to refer to the 'XMM' that is generally often seen in the Portraits & Poses section :)

We had a very enthusiastic lady photographer at Pacific Plaza on Sunday afternoon (sorry I didn't introduce myself), and I must say she helped A LOT to get the donations continuously coming in :thumbsup:

I know where you guys are coming from and I am not adverse to it, if the xmm (even from the portrait and pose section) genuinely what to help I see no reason why we need to say no. As long a the dressing is not provocative and is appropriate ? After all I believe everybody has a good heart

Last edited:
From what I see on days 1 and 2, here are some observations:

1. Many people are very wary of any offers to take their photo because they think we will ask them to pay something. So some folks will even avoid having their pictures taken. Maybe we can have a sign or banner up to explain the purpose of the photos, something like "show moral support to the people in japan! Have you picture taken!"

Agree with daredevil123. As a volunteer on the ground, i notice that apprehension when soliciting for donations, i think we have to be very mindful of the words you use in order to get a better conversion rate.

After discussing with some of the bros and listening to their feedback during dinner, i've come to a conclusion that it's better to tell would be donors upfront that we would like their help to take their photo for free to send our moral support to the people of Japan. The donation should be the secondary objective and that any amount of donations would do but donations of $10 and above would get them a free 4R print. By this time, they should have already warmed up to you after showing them the lovely photo you've taken. It's alright that they do not donate and we can tell them about their photos being uploaded on Facebook and we can get more publicity on the event.

Maybe we can have the other volunteers share what works for them for newbies like me doing this for the first time... :)

Last edited:
I know where you guys are coming from and I am not adverse to it, if the xmm (even from the portrait and pose section) genuinely what to help I see no reason why we need to say no. As long a the dressing is not provocative and is appropriate ? After all I believe everybody has a good heart

my take on this issue is that i worry would be people will be rushing to sign up to shoot the xmms instead of doing their duty actually... sorry to sound like such a wet blanket here yea

my take on this issue is that i worry would be people will be rushing to sign up to shoot the xmms instead of doing their duty actually... sorry to sound like such a wet blanket here yea

Hehehe if its happen we know who they are? I will just give them a kick on the butt and outa CS hehehehehe :)

No worries we are just taking in feed back and giving our take. Will make decision by Tues.

Hehehe if its happen we know who they are? I will just give them a kick on the butt and outa CS hehehehehe :)

No worries we are just taking in feed back and giving our take. Will make decision by Tues.

yep:) so sebas is bringing in his vader fist group down this sat right? i'll probably be there at 9 to help u all setup and then run off to wedding. maybe come back at night.

dejavu said:
Agree with daredevil123. As a volunteer on the ground, i notice that apprehension when soliciting for donations, i think we have to be very mindful of the words you use in order to get a better conversion rate.

After discussing with some of the bros and listening to their feedback during dinner, i've come to a conclusion that it's better to tell would be donors upfront that we would like their help to take their photo for free to send our moral support to the people of Japan. The donation should be the secondary objective and that any amount of donations would do but donations of $10 and above would get them a 4R print. By this time, they should have already warmed up to you after showing them the lovely photo you've taken. It's alright that they do not donate and we can tell them about their photos being uploaded on Facebook and we can get more publicity on the event.

Maybe we can have the other volunteers share what works for them for newbies like me doing this for the first time... :)

Yes I agree. We tried that approach and most will want to donate after taking the picture. But it will help more if we have a sign up.

Yes I agree. We tried that approach and most will want to donate after taking the picture. But it will help more if we have a sign up.
Yes, the sign will definitely be helpful and also must stress on the free photo-taking!

cheers

Hey Sebastian, they have a local site as well other than the main one at http://www.501st.com/ just in case you don't know. It's at http://www.501st.sg.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.