Feedback on Panasonic GF6

hmanxx

Oct 20, 2013
Singapore
Hi,
Any user of Panasonic GF6 around ? care to feedback on this camera. Thinking of buying one.
I just want to have a better camera for travel use, easy to use, better than point and shoot picture quality ( more control).
Fast focus and fast picture taking are important for me as most of the time, my wife uses the camera to take pictures..
It is really hard to find comment on this camera besides those standard review.
I have a brief hand on with it but didnt really pay too much attention on the picture taking speed..I quite like Panasonic GX-1 ,preview picture almost came out instant after shutter button release.

Struggling to pick this entry level DSLM versus Sony NEX-5T.

Yes, many threads. Both for feedback and wts. Just do a search for "gf6".

Fyi, for your needs, I'd suggest a rx100mk2 instead.

Hi,
Any user of Panasonic GF6 around ? care to feedback on this camera. Thinking of buying one.
I just want to have a better camera for travel use, easy to use, better than point and shoot picture quality ( more control).
Fast focus and fast picture taking are important for me as most of the time, my wife uses the camera to take pictures..
It is really hard to find comment on this camera besides those standard review.
I have a brief hand on with it but didnt really pay too much attention on the picture taking speed..I quite like Panasonic GX-1 ,preview picture almost came out instant after shutter button release.

Struggling to pick this entry level DSLM versus Sony NEX-5T.

I have not really use the GF6, but used the OMD, the EPM1 and EPL1... I would believe that the GF6 had very similar performance to these cameras and they are great camera. I used my OMD extensively even when I am overseas and the image quality is excellent even with my 14-42mm kit lens.

I understand that you have tried the GX1... and liked it... so why not the GX1?

Hi, Any user of Panasonic GF6 around ? care to feedback on this camera. Thinking of buying one. I just want to have a better camera for travel use, easy to use, better than point and shoot picture quality ( more control). Fast focus and fast picture taking are important for me as most of the time, my wife uses the camera to take pictures.. It is really hard to find comment on this camera besides those standard review. I have a brief hand on with it but didnt really pay too much attention on the picture taking speed..I quite like Panasonic GX-1 ,preview picture almost came out instant after shutter button release. Struggling to pick this entry level DSLM versus Sony NEX-5T.

Wana share 2 things before the people can help more effectively ?

Is an interchangeable lens system important to u ?

Budget?

Your criteria is kinda general, most of the cameras seem to fulfil them quite easily.

Last edited:
Yes, many threads. Both for feedback and wts. Just do a search for "gf6".

Fyi, for your needs, I'd suggest a rx100mk2 instead.
my bad..i did try to search but before i registered here..yield no search results..

Wana share 2 things before the people can help more effectively ?

Is an interchangeable lens system important to u ?

Budget?

Your criteria is kinda general, most of the cameras seem to fulfil them quite easily.

Budget: 1K . can stretch up to $1200
Particularly I like fast focusing , fast shutter speed like typical DSLR fast shutter and fast preview type.

Given a choice..should I get those single kit lens and after getting used to the camera then buy a better lens or get those 2 kit lens option.
I am greedy to one shot get 2 kit lens set . I get a quote of $900 for 2 kit lens set for GF6 ( 14-42 , 42-150mm).

Enough for point and shoot . time to play the interchangeable lens type.

Going for Tasmania on 8 Nov, self drive tour. Therefore thinking of getting the camera a week ahead to get myself familar with it..mostly going to shoot scenery, the standard 14-42mm sufficient for most situation ?

Last edited:
my bad..i did try to search but before i registered here..yield no search results..

No results? I do a search for gf6 and get a ton of results. Try again, or better yet, actually try the search. Dun bluff.

Budget: 1K . can stretch up to $1200
Particularly I like fast focusing , fast shutter speed like typical DSLR fast shutter and fast preview type.

Given a choice..should I get those single kit len and after getting used to the camera then buy a better len or get those 2 kit lens option.
I am greedy to one shot get 2 kit lens set . I get a quote of $900 for 2 kit lens set for GF6 ( 14-42 , 42-150mm).

Enough for point and shoot . time to play the interchangeable lens type.

Going for Tasmania on 8 Nov, self drive tour. Therefore thinking of getting the camera a week ahead to get myself familar with it..mostly going to shoot scenery, the standard 14-42mm sufficient for most situation ?

"fast preview"? In what sense? Can you please explain your personal terminology in something others can also understand?

Also, there is no "len".

Look in the buy and sell, many dual-lens kits on sale.

Yes, 14-42 is more than enough.

Budget: 1K . can stretch up to $1200 Particularly I like fast focusing , fast shutter speed like typical DSLR fast shutter and fast preview type. Given a choice..should I get those single kit len and after getting used to the camera then buy a better len or get those 2 kit lens option. I am greedy to one shot get 2 kit lens set . I get a quote of $900 for 2 kit lens set for GF6 ( 14-42 , 42-150mm). Enough for point and shoot . time to play the interchangeable lens type. Going for Tasmania on 8 Nov, self drive tour. Therefore thinking of getting the camera a week ahead to get myself familar with it..mostly going to shoot scenery, the standard 14-42mm sufficient for most situation ?

$1.2k u can go for a better kit. I would instead ask u to go for the Olympus middle end MFTs as their camera bodies comes with stabilization and provides more flexibility for using other lenses down the road. The EPL5 should more than enough fulfill all your needs. The Olympus engine also produces in general more pleasing ooc jpegs, good if you aren't shooting raw.

Yep up , the 14-42 is sufficient for most situations. It's good to start with the kit lenses first and upgrade only when the photos you wish to take are hampered by the specs of your kit.

I'm gonna assume a lot of things as some criteria ain't very clear. fast preview means u get to see the shot taken almost immed after pressing the shutter and 'typical fast dslr shutter' meaning the exposure takes place with minimal lag after depressing the shutter.

Yes your understanding is correct, what i am trying to describe is the after shot fast processing experience .
Move on to read on lenses selection. thanks

Yes your understanding is correct, what i am trying to describe is the after shot fast processing experience .
Move on to read on lenses selection. thanks

Most cameras are fast like that too. Even compact cameras like the rx100

Thanks for the feedback here.
Eventually settled with Panasonic GF6W,dual kit lens package. Taking a few shots, better than I expected . No issue on controlling Aperture priority mode , however I do face problem on shutter priority mode , shooting energetic kids in door. The kit lens aperture up to 3.5 is not able to cater for adequate exposure with fast shutter speed. I may be able to toy with ISO sensitivity but I want a better solution

Question : If I want to get a better fix focal length lens , what aperture size is appropriate for indoor shooting of running object (kids, pets). Condition, no flash. Between F1.4 and F1.7 lens.what are the pro and con.

Thanks for the feedback here.
Eventually settled with Panasonic GF6W,dual kit lens package. Taking a few shots, better than I expected . No issue on controlling Aperture priority mode , however I do face problem on shutter priority mode , shooting energetic kids in door. The kit lens aperture up to 3.5 is not able to cater for adequate exposure with fast shutter speed. I may be able to toy with ISO sensitivity but I want a better solution

Question : If I want to get a better fix focal length lens , what aperture size is appropriate for indoor shooting of running object (kids, pets). Condition, no flash. Between F1.4 and F1.7 lens.what are the pro and con.

Larger aperture may not always be the perfect solution to low light. I hope you do understand too that larger aperture = lesser DOF. This may mean getting 1 eye sharp and the other out of DOF. And energetic kids means moving at pretty fast speed. That directly means that the kid can get out of your DOF VERY EASILY at wide apertures!

Normally, I will just boost the ISO. I'll take Noisy shot over no shot than to spend additional money on lens.

The other thing is, indoors, the lighting is rarely sufficient (especially during evening hours). It's v.normal for me to use ISO1600-3200 on my 500D on a f2.8 lens for indoors without flash (just to get 1/60s shutter speed).

There's nothing such as "appropriate" aperture for indoors. The distance between you and the subject will also determine your DOF too. The further you are, the more DOF. The wider focal length you are using, the more DOF. But personally, f2.8 is for me manageable.

Last edited: