Features you want in a Photographer's Vest / Jacket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eclenikon

Mar 31, 2005
For those that wear such vests, what do you feel is missing in the jackets and what are the important features already there.

For those that dont wear, why arent u wearing one?

For a start, the vests make me look like a dork, so I do not wear one.

G-man said:
For a start, the vests make me look like a dork, so I do not wear one.
Amen.

A soda bottle holder maybe. The long lens pocket on my Domke is just too big for my 500ml Diet Coke pet bottle.

eclenikon said:
For those that wear such vests, what do you feel is missing in the jackets and what are the important features already there.

For those that dont wear, why arent u wearing one?
Air-cond/peltier cooler vest?

Regards,
Arto.

Doraemon pouch! yay!

Perhaps something waterproof and doesn't look like a photographer's vest.
Many pockets, perhaps padded, some with zips, velcro, buttons, padlocks :p

padded shoulder. meshing at the back for ventilation. overlapping pouch for filters.

adamadam said:
bulletproof and floating so can use as lifejacket!

u going to middle-east? i think u also need a built in red blinking light so they can rescue u... and also maybe a couple of flares thrown in... just in case...

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
u going to middle-east? i think u also need a built in red blinking light so they can rescue u... and also maybe a couple of flares thrown in... just in case...
If going to middle-east, then peltier cooler vest is a must. How much is temperature there :bsmilie: . Too hot, you might die before hit by one bullet.

Regards,
Arto.

How about a GPS unit which can transmit to the SAR teams? hahaha

anyway, most of the things you need in a vest is already there. Quite a few has meshings at the rear and still it can get a lil warm in Singapore's weather.

Better cooling technology like mebbe water bags as lining may be able to help cool us off better...

Larger pouches may need stronger support or else it will be difficult to secure...

zac08 said:
How about a GPS unit which can transmit to the SAR teams? hahaha

anyway, most of the things you need in a vest is already there. Quite a few has meshings at the rear and still it can get a lil warm in Singapore's weather.

Better cooling technology like mebbe water bags as lining may be able to help cool us off better...

Larger pouches may need stronger support or else it will be difficult to secure...

actually i am thinking if somebody can make 1 with air cushion, esp air cushioned shoulder pad... filled with helium would be best, else nitrogen is ok...

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
i also wan a Doraemon pouch, then can store plenty of lenses in the alternate dimension. ;p
THat will be great....

The look:
The normal / common vest looks so old fashion. I want something hip and stylist and fashionable till the extend non-photographers wanted to get that vest too. Maybe leather vest?

Features:
- Lots of pockets!
- Cooling
- Durable
- Camel water back (When you need to drink don't you? especially going for nature shoot)
- YOu know those vest the SWAT team wear? We put AA batteries (for flash) instead of the Shotgun rounds - cool huh?
- Torch light (useful when in doing night shoot!)
- Tripod can be striped on easily and accessed easily too...
- Paddings for pockets for lenses
- Light weight

Anyone seen the new army SBO? It has just about all of the features Youhong said, perhaps not very very big pockets that's all..

It's light, it looks cool, it's got a camel water back, it's durable, etc etc etc... In fact it looks so good I wanted to buy 1 on the spot, but I found out it's only being tested for a couple of units. And that the final design could change pending feedback..

Anyone knows how I may be able to get my hands on one of those?

Edit: Oh ya.. it's not leather though.. and it's green....

unseen said:
Anyone seen the new army SBO? It has just about all of the features Youhong said, perhaps not very very big pockets that's all..

It's light, it looks cool, it's got a camel water back, it's durable, etc etc etc... In fact it looks so good I wanted to buy 1 on the spot, but I found out it's only being tested for a couple of units. And that the final design could change pending feedback..

Anyone knows how I may be able to get my hands on one of those?

Edit: Oh ya.. it's not leather though.. and it's green....
Ya, a SBO is good... Then we dye it from green to the colour we want lah...

Youhong said:
Ya, a SBO is good... Then we dye it from green to the colour we want lah...
:bsmilie: IIRC some parts it's one of those light weighted plastic material.. else it's some netting.. can't really dye.. LOL How I wish I can somehow get my hands on a set..

The way I see it, vests are good only if you're on a photojournalist assignment, where you'd WANT to be recognised as a photographer to avoid getting shot at.

For weddings, events, etc, it attracts too much unwanted attention. Looks quite obiang also.

I suppose, a vest / jacket would be good for trekking or photography trips too. But i think, if we were to incorporate everything a photographer finds essential in a jacket..the end result..would still be the same. An Obiang jacket/vest again. Haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.