Favourite photographers

Status
Not open for further replies.

rumraisin

Jan 18, 2002
Visit site
Just wondering which photographers you people like?

I like Robert Doisneau for his sensitive street photos, Eliot Porter for his super-detailed and subtle nature shots, and Ansel Adams for his perfect b&w landscapes.

Hi

I like a few, and all of them are documentary photographers of some kind.....

not in any particular order...

1) Sam Abell
There are some great photographers' work i can't appreciate. But I can connect with each and every of Sam Abell's work. Also because he's a good, poetic writer. I have his book "Seeing Gardens" and frankly, it's the only coffee table kind of book I ever bought. His compelling style of seeing, coupled with the crystal clear articulation of his artistic vision in words makes it a pleasure to enjoy his work. Many of his pictures make up my list of favourites.

2) Dorothea Lange
I like her series on the poverty of America in the early 20th century. Stunning street and documentary work. Reminiscent of Henri Cartier Bresson....with a clear context.

3) David Alan Harvey
He has amazing insight into the subjects he's tasked to shoot, and he has the ability to produce unique symbolic photos from normal themes. His Cuban and Spain series are very good, and that's probably where he excels - his ability to integrate into the culture of the place and shoot iconic photos that represents the pple and culture. And he does all that without a lens longer than 50mm............

4) Henri Cartier Bresson (of course....)
Well, his street photos are amazing...wat more inspiration does one need? ;)

5) Bambi Cantrell
Excellent wedding photographer - she eludes a photojournalistic style in her wedding shots that is uniquely hers. One can almost tell it's a Bami Cantrell shot by looking at the photos. I would like to have my (future) wedding shot by her, if possible ;p

I like megaweb's insect shots. The close-ups shots are simply amazing and capture all the intricate details and colors.

Oh Sam Abell! Love his photos too! I have the "Seeing Gardens" calendar for 2002-- beautiful stuff! There's something very poetic and lovely about them don't you think?

Originally posted by mpenza
I like megaweb's insect shots. The close-ups shots are simply amazing and capture all the intricate details and colors.

Hehe... me too. Macro king living in Tampines... where to find!? =p Most photographer that people like is too far away, this one is just 15min from my house. hehehehehhehe.

Originally posted by rumraisin
Oh Sam Abell! Love his photos too! I have the "Seeing Gardens" calendar for 2002-- beautiful stuff! There's something very poetic and lovely about them don't you think?

oh there is a "Seeing Gardens" calendar?? how big are the pictures and where did u get it?

Yes, his pictures possess a certain poetic quality about them.
His landscapes are not the standard "blue sky + velvia + circular polariser + 81A / B warming filter + neutral graduated density filter + interesting foreground subject leading to beautiful terrain" kind of shots u see all over photography books and magazines. They are quiet, visually compelling, but yet still manages to evoke emotion.

In fact, in an interview I read before, Sam Abell doesn't believe in the use of filters (or flash, for that matter). Though i'm not very much into landscapes, his quiet compelling landscape shots have inspired me to give this kind of photography a try.

My favourites come from his documentary work though. Oh btw, good news - he's coming out with another book this July, "Sam Abell - A Photographic Life", which is a retrospective look at his photographic life over 30 years, out of which 20 years as a contract photographer for National Geographic, and 10 as a staff photographer (in National Geographic as well).

That should be very good stuff as it's going to contain his writing and views on his own visions and way of seeing things in addition to the standard fare (pictures).

Got it from Borders last year-- the pictures are 22 by 33 cm, nice and big.
Didn't know there was a whole book. Shall check it out...
I think another thing about his photos is that they don't do the usual rule-of-thirds thing. There's something very unique and naive about each single one-- as if you're looking at the subject for the very first time.
Oh btw there's this exhibition of Humanist photographers on now (Henri Cartier-Bresson, Robert Doisneau etc.) in Selegie Arts Centre, if you're interested.

Originally posted by rumraisin
Got it from Borders last year-- the pictures are 22 by 33 cm, nice and big.
Didn't know there was a whole book. Shall check it out...
I think another thing about his photos is that they don't do the usual rule-of-thirds thing. There's something very unique and naive about each single one-- as if you're looking at the subject for the very first time.
Oh btw there's this exhibition of Humanist photographers on now (Henri Cartier-Bresson, Robert Doisneau etc.) in Selegie Arts Centre, if you're interested.

coincidentally, i was at that same exhibition earlier on (only saw your post now when i reached home).....

Robert Doisneau is good - my favourite of the exhibition is that pciture of the little boy pressing his noise against the glass window looking at the other side......wat a shot!

Originally posted by OpenLens
Mary Ellen Mark for her wonderful modern Americana documentary images. Her shots are what got me into a photo/arts minor at university :D

interesting...i often see this name being mentioned...didn't know there's a website...will check it out! thanks!

(after checking out the website) Hey Mary Ellen Mark is good! Her pictures have a certain liveliness and often humour.

Status
Not open for further replies.