Favourite lens to shoot cosplay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WINDyx

Nov 24, 2008
What's your favourite lens to use to shoot events such as cosplay?
Just wanna hear some comments. ;)

I don't think this has anything to do with cosplay - yes or no.

but go with a 50 mm prime for full/half-body shots
And 85 prime for portrait

If you want a nice depth of field - go 70-200 mm

Shooting cosplay is just like shooting any other portraits.. use any lens you need to get what you want to achieve..

For me it would be the 85L.

What's your favourite lens to use to shoot events such as cosplay?
Just wanna hear some comments. ;)
Kit lens also can...depend on the shooter the skill.

Kit lens also can...depend on the shooter the skill.

Agreed. Just go with a standard kit lens or a short prime lens like the Sigma 30mm f1.4 (for example), and apply your photography knowledge to the events. Hope it helps :)

Eg. Flash is optional :D

Pentax user here on the FA 50mm 1.4 :D

It's beautiful for cosplay shooting.
WindyX, are you registered on sgcafe too?

IMO, to shoot cosplay and it's events you need good color to really bring out the punch in their costumes.
I did cover one on a kit lens before, the results produced were quite uninteresting :think: A little soft, and the colors looked cool, bland.

If you do have a wider choice of lenses (im not sure about C & N?), go for something in the 35-40mm range and try not to hit 50mm assuming you are using a crop frame body. Those events can get pretty crowded and to get a full body picture will be difficult without someone else walking past your camera Line Of Sight if you opt for a 50mm.

If you're interested in dollfies, (although not mandatory) a sharp macro lens will do great :thumbsup:

Last edited:
mmm... I think it all depends on the location, lighting, theme, etc etc :p

I'd use my 17-50mm, 50mm and 70-200 though :p

Pentax user here on the FA 50mm 1.4 :D

It's beautiful for cosplay shooting.
WindyX, are you registered on sgcafe too?

IMO, to shoot cosplay and it's events you need good color to really bring out the punch in their costumes.
I did cover one on a kit lens before, the results produced were quite uninteresting :think: A little soft, and the colors looked cool, bland.

If you do have a wider choice of lenses (im not sure about C & N?), go for something in the 35-40mm range and try not to hit 50mm assuming you are using a crop frame body. Those events can get pretty crowded and to get a full body picture will be difficult without someone else walking past your camera Line Of Sight if you opt for a 50mm.

If you're interested in dollfies, (although not mandatory) a sharp macro lens will do great :thumbsup:

I agree on most of the points but I don't think you should blame your kit lens for the results :X

Thanks for the reply guys. Is that you Usagi?? I browse SGCafe quite often.
I started this hobby about half a year ago and have shot for Cosfest , STCC Coscon , AFA , EOY , but I just can't get it interesting.
The skin tones just dont look interesting. I felt I needed flash and I sold away my 50mm 1.4 for 430EXII. Flash helped a lot and I'm playing around with diffusers and bounce card. At first I was interested in the bokeh , but sometimes its hard to frame when I want group shots. I was thinking of getting 17-50 Tamron , but dunno DOF will be that nice unless tele from far? I currently have 18-55 IS and 55-250mm IS

I was thinking of shooting SOYA next .. but really scared unprepared and screw up again. I'll shoot more!

Thanks for the reply guys. Is that you Usagi?? I browse SGCafe quite often.
I started this hobby about half a year ago and have shot for Cosfest , STCC Coscon , AFA , EOY , but I just can't get it interesting.
The skin tones just dont look interesting. I felt I needed flash and I sold away my 50mm 1.4 for 430EXII. Flash helped a lot and I'm playing around with diffusers and bounce card. At first I was interested in the bokeh , but sometimes its hard to frame when I want group shots. I was thinking of getting 17-50 Tamron , but dunno DOF will be that nice unless tele from far? I currently have 18-55 IS and 55-250mm IS

I was thinking of shooting SOYA next .. but really scared unprepared and screw up again. I'll shoot more!

Just keep on practising, you'll get the hang of it. I would suggest you pay attention to the surrounding lighting and especially the background. Try to vary the angles first, don't worry if the colours didn't turn out that interesting yet.

Anyway if you are the same Windy, just ask me on MSN bah.. easier...

off camera flash!

Well hello there, strobist :D

Hey , I don't think its the same Windy. I've only saw your photos at SGCafe :)
I always had issues with the lighting I think. Exposure problem...... doesn't stand out much. Off my camera flash?

Maybe I'll stick to the lenses I have first....

Status
Not open for further replies.