Favourite ISO 100 and below Slide?

Whats your favourite sub-ISO 100 SLIDE film?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Velvia has been the undisputed king for a long time now - 15 years? I gave E100VS a try but wasn't happy with the grain and sharpness for big enlargements. Provia 100F is nice, very smooth and fine grain but not as sharp as Velvia, and a bit too muted for my taste. But it does great in many situations Velvia can't handle, and scans extremely well, so that's my second choice.

I sometimes shoot EBX (~= E100VS) though, because it is cheap.

Provia 100F has this god awful blue green cast to it, anyone noticed? It gets worse if the lighting is dull or you underexpose it.

Velvia isn't much better, and it's a contrasty and rather saturated film.

I'm using EBX nowadays (because it's cheap), but if money is no object I wouldn't mind using E100S, as it makes a better all purpose film, as it's colour is just right, not too saturated but not too true to life.

Look like I am the only one using senisa? :p

Like it for it's lower cost as compare to the fuji "pro" series. Perform good enough for me.

Its Sensia for me. Very good price to performance ratio. Unlike Velvia, it don't have an orange cast on my face for my travel picture. It is also faster and the grain is extremely small. Saturation is good but not extreme. Under a loupe, it will give more realistic green and blue than Velvia. One important thing to note is that Sensia or Astia is not pale in color, they are just less saturated than velvia.

Then again, you don't need to keep it in a fridge :p

Originally posted by YSLee
Provia 100F has this god awful blue green cast to it, anyone noticed? It gets worse if the lighting is dull or you underexpose it.

I'm using EBX nowadays (because it's cheap), but if money is no object I wouldn't mind using E100S, as it makes a better all purpose film, as it's colour is just right, not too saturated but not too true to life.

Apparently, the Provia Blue Cast is more noticeable on 100F than on 400F. Quite sickening to have bluish slides on your lightbox after you got them from the lab. Especially so for shaded areas, overcast day, etc. Yeah, worse if you underexpose.

I have since switched to E100S and E100VS, though leaning towards VS for that extra punch. The 1st two rolls of my thaipusam shot came out without blue cast even though it was largely overcast that day. ;)

Regards
CK

Wow! Quite a few Kodak users here eh? I used to be using Velvia a lot but dislike the fact that the white was never neutral. Ever since switching to E100VS, I have been stuck to that film for the last 3 years.

Contrast is the highest of all films from ISO 100 and below but if you know what you are doing, and knows how to balance contrast in the field, you should have perfectly exposed slides.

More grainy than any other 100 slides films but when a painter pains onto canvas, isn't it grainy? How often does one enlarge to a size bigger than 12 X 16"? I have no problems at all.

What else can I say? I just love the whites.

Cheers.
Andy Ho

yo ANdy! still waiting for your "NO it's NOT chek jawa" tours...
:)

Originally posted by denizenx
yo ANdy! still waiting for your "NO it's NOT chek jawa" tours...
:)

Anytime man.. Btw, I will be in Pulau Ubin almost all Sunday, rain or shine. If anyone of you should be interested to join me for a photo and cycling trip, please PM me.

Andy Ho

My all time favourite was the old Kodak KM-25 which was just about as close to perfection as you could ask for in a slow chrome. Slightly warm colours and clients loved the results as there was none of the horrilbe green/blue cast that Velvia inflicts.

Other long time favourites are Ektacrhome professional 64 and any of the kodak 100 ISO chromes. But I also love Sensia and Astia as well as Agfachrome CT which despite its grain is a lovely film for landscapes and general architectural use.

Originally posted by ckiang

<snip>
... The 1st two rolls of my thaipusam shot came out without blue cast even though it was largely overcast that day. ;)
<snip>
Regards
CK

Hi,

I thought that overcast skies tend to produce a more bluish cast in the results? So a 100F would make it even more pronounced, right?

Please correct me if I'm wrong. :embrass:

Thanks.

-ptl-

Hihi, me recent convert to slides here. :)
After trying out the films, I guess I'm a Fujifilm guy.
Provia is usually my film of choice, especially when I travel around.
Colour saturation is just about right for me, and I like the sharpness ( Despite being of faster speed, I think the grain size for Provia is smaller than Velvia right? It's got the smallest grain size in the world!). Velvia sometimes just too slow. But if I want to make prints from slides, I will use Velvia to get the colour.

Also, I will like to recommend Astia too. It's the slide equivalent of protrait film. Great neutral skin tone and no cast at all. Use it sometimes for modelling and fashion shoots.

Originally posted by YSLee

yeah man...tats y i only use Fuji films for outdoor shots....indoor or low light i prefer to use Kodak.....some are too obsessed with a single film...i prefer to mix as when it suits the situation. But nowdays I almost use Provia 400F all the time as I notice the cast not so bad like other Fujis.....

Originally posted by ckiang
Ok, let's see what's your favourite SLIDE FILM of ISO 100 and below.
Velvia for everything but portraits.

I stay away from Provia 100F for its muddy colors and dull bluish-grayish cast.

Status
Not open for further replies.