Father, show us the light...

Status
Not open for further replies.

srinivasanj

Apr 6, 2008
3178782805_5fdba0e8b4.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

All,

This picture is actually a composite of two images. I came up with the idea of showing the "direction" that is needed with all thats happening in the world today.

The candle was shot separately and the cross was shot lighted up by the candle. I personally think that this shot works with the dim lighting and the mood it creates.

Whats your take?

Cheers.

I don't see any direction nor any relation to "all thats happening in the world today".
It's dark, a single candle is burning illuminating the figure. It rather creates the impression of "lost in the dark with the last candle burning down". The figure looks down, hanging helpless at the cross. - That's nothing where I can take any advice, direction or help from.
The light could come from behind, e.g. a single thin beam as backlight coming from upper right corner. That would implicate direction and also the message "turn around".

It's not a bad composition and the pic does evoke an air of gloominess and yet at the same time hope. Perhaps you meant that in these uncertain times we should be focusing on God rather than "direction."

do u mean to create the mood that man need God for direction?

i certainly dont see any direction in this.
direction = leading to something.
the candle doesnt "point" to the cross.

It's not a bad composition and the pic does evoke an air of gloominess and yet at the same time hope. Perhaps you meant that in these uncertain times we should be focusing on God rather than "direction."

You are right...I probably got the tittle wrong. Was thinking about it after Octarine's message as well. I couldnt really articulate what I wanted to say in text...cheers.

if you had wanted both the candle and the cross to be together in a frame you should have shot them together.

the angle of the candle seems.. weird.

As a christian,in this picture,jesus signify us.As jesus carried the cross to the hill,we too as christian are to carry the cross.
And even in times of darkness and uncertainties,there will be light and here,the lcandle light refers to God.The illumination of the cross by the candle speaks of his blessing and grace shinning upon us as he look at us.

Last edited:
the perspective here does not fall together properly.

the figure is upright, the candle is tilted towards camera. unless your candle is seriously a slanted candle, and very slanted at that, it is clearly photoshopped.

more details on the figure.

btw, if what you have written above is what you wish to convey, then it is not working.

Status
Not open for further replies.