fate of D30


Status
Not open for further replies.

Kho King

Senior Member
Jan 20, 2002
2,513
0
0
44
shashinki.com
Saw so many people selling D30 recently...priced at around S$3k. If the price of new D60 is S$3888, how much should a 2nd hand D30 goes? Is D30 really that lousy (or is D60 that good?) that everybody is rushing for an upgrade?

How much is D30 when it is new 3 months ago?
 

Adam Goi

ClubSNAP Idol
Staff member
Originally posted by Kho King
Saw so many people selling D30 recently...priced at around S$3k. If the price of new D60 is S$3888, how much should a 2nd hand D30 goes? Is D30 really that lousy (or is D60 that good?) that everybody is rushing for an upgrade?

How much is D30 when it is new 3 months ago?
I don't own a D30 or intend to own a D60 but given the feedback that I've heard, I arrive @ this conclusion (for now).

It'll probably boils down to the choice between whether you need access to shoot @ higher ISOs like 1600 and 3200 and stuck @ 3+ megapixels or go for more, i.e. 6 megapixels and to live with only up to ISO 1000. As for the touted improvements of D60 over its older sibling, some deem it as not very significant...

Perhaps given the pursuit of owning the camera that has the latest and most advanced features, most megapixel counts can cause even some of the most level-headed ones who are among us to discard their old but able cameras like D30.

Don't bother with me...it's just mindless babbling of someone never owns a DC ;)
 

M

maxyeo

Guest
Originally posted by Kho King
Saw so many people selling D30 recently...priced at around S$3k. If the price of new D60 is S$3888, how much should a 2nd hand D30 goes? Is D30 really that lousy (or is D60 that good?) that everybody is rushing for an upgrade?

How much is D30 when it is new 3 months ago?
I bought my D30 last year at $4500 ......
 

Simon

ClubSNAP Admin
Staff member
Jan 17, 2002
667,089
2
38
30
ClubSNAP
simon.clubsnap.org
Originally posted by maxyeo


I bought my D30 last year at $4500 ......
I don't find a need to upgrade my D30 to D60.

D60 is good, but not good enough for me to upgrade.
 

zapp!

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
695
0
16
43
zapp.clubsnap.org
Same here...my D30 seems to be serving me well enough for the time being...
3MP is sufficient for me to use...sometimes larger pics give u more headache...take up space fast...
Also i won't give up my ISO1600 mode...too impt for certain pics that i shoot...that one stop makes the diff b/w a shaky pic or a good one.

Hoping to see more significant changes like a more robust AF system with at least 7pts...illuminated of course.

Not necessary need 45 pts...but just give me more speed in tracking down fast moving objects!

While i am at it...how about an IR AF assist light instead of the distracting yellow light...
Interchangable focus screen would be good too...brighter and bigger screen...
 

ckiang

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
6,405
0
36
47
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
www.ckphoto.net
Originally posted by zapp!
Same here...my D30 seems to be serving me well enough for the time being...
3MP is sufficient for me to use...sometimes larger pics give u more headache...take up space fast...
Also i won't give up my ISO1600 mode...too impt for certain pics that i shoot...that one stop makes the diff b/w a shaky pic or a good one.

Hoping to see more significant changes like a more robust AF system with at least 7pts...illuminated of course.

Not necessary need 45 pts...but just give me more speed in tracking down fast moving objects!

While i am at it...how about an IR AF assist light instead of the distracting yellow light...
Interchangable focus screen would be good too...brighter and bigger screen...
I got the solution for you: EOS 1D. :)

Regards
CK
 

xieyuqi

Member
Mar 10, 2002
219
0
16
Visit site
so far the lowest second hand d30 is about $2600
 

zapp!

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
695
0
16
43
zapp.clubsnap.org
Originally posted by ckiang


I got the solution for you: EOS 1D. :)

Regards
CK
No point, too pro for my taste and not significant in megapixel upgrade...i think my D30 still got quite a long lifespan. The 3 megapixs interpolate very well.
 

ckiang

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
6,405
0
36
47
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
www.ckphoto.net
Originally posted by zapp!

No point, too pro for my taste and not significant in megapixel upgrade...i think my D30 still got quite a long lifespan. The 3 megapixs interpolate very well.
That's very true. Most people will not need more than 3-4 megapixels. Unless you want to crop a lot. The only thing 'bad' about the D30 is the body - slow AF and all. Reminds me of the S1 Pro (good images, lousy body), only better.

What you guys need is a EOS 3/30-based DSLR at around $4k.

Regards
CK
 

zapp!

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
695
0
16
43
zapp.clubsnap.org
Originally posted by ckiang


That's very true. Most people will not need more than 3-4 megapixels. Unless you want to crop a lot. The only thing 'bad' about the D30 is the body - slow AF and all. Reminds me of the S1 Pro (good images, lousy body), only better.

What you guys need is a EOS 3/30-based DSLR at around $4k.

Regards
CK
Patiently waiting...
 

Kho King

Senior Member
Jan 20, 2002
2,513
0
0
44
shashinki.com
Can the 6MP in D60 produce better image quality than the 4MP EOS1D?
 

Bluestrike

New Member
Jan 17, 2002
4,784
0
0
44
There lor~
bluestrike.clubsnap.org
Originally posted by Kho King
Can the 6MP in D60 produce better image quality than the 4MP EOS1D?
The two DSLR are designed for diff working enviroment. MP isn't everything and both the DSLR produce good quality images.

Somemore, they are using diff sensor (CCD vs CMOS) so it really like comparing apple and orange!
 

Red Dawn

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
2,468
1
38
Singapore
www.5stonesphoto.com
Originally posted by Kho King
Can the 6MP in D60 produce better image quality than the 4MP EOS1D?
this is a hotly debated topic in the dpreview forums. Actually the answer is very simple.

yes and no. the difference is not that distinct.

The 6 megapixel imager of the D60 will pull out more detail in some cases - but it will be very subtle and you need a really good lens on the body to achieve that. Naturally, we would expect a 6 megapixel imager to draw out more detail than a 4 megapixel one.

However, the D60 is also inherently more noisy than the 1D. This is especially visible at the higher ISOs. The 1D eats all other digital cameras for breakfast when high ISO performance is concerned.

plus, i'm very sure the 1D produces better images than the D60 from ISO 1000 to ISO 3200 :)
 

zapp!

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
695
0
16
43
zapp.clubsnap.org
Originally posted by Red Dawn


this is a hotly debated topic in the dpreview forums. Actually the answer is very simple.

yes and no. the difference is not that distinct.

The 6 megapixel imager of the D60 will pull out more detail in some cases - but it will be very subtle and you need a really good lens on the body to achieve that. Naturally, we would expect a 6 megapixel imager to draw out more detail than a 4 megapixel one.

However, the D60 is also inherently more noisy than the 1D. This is especially visible at the higher ISOs. The 1D eats all other digital cameras for breakfast when high ISO performance is concerned.

plus, i'm very sure the 1D produces better images than the D60 from ISO 1000 to ISO 3200 :)
Agree. Check out the ISO800 pics of the 1D...lao nua. I have not seen anything like this in my life...smooth ISO800!!
 

YSLee

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
2,326
1
38
Visit site
I could say the D1H, but it's half the resolution. :p
 

mylau

New Member
Jan 19, 2002
1,019
0
0
36
Originally posted by zapp!


Agree. Check out the ISO800 pics of the 1D...lao nua. I have not seen anything like this in my life...smooth ISO800!!
You are absolutely right! Using ISO 800 to shoot all the time is a real pleasure.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.